T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

They're contacting affected customers, hopefully before the shutdown.

Uh, some of you have been practically giddy that the band 4 W-CDMA shutdown has already occurred.  How is that "before"?

AJ

We don't know they didn't send text messages before this happened.

No, we would know.  It would have been reported weeks or months ago.

AJ

No, we would know. It would have been reported weeks or months ago.

AJ

Maybe. what kind of user has such an old phone? Are they likely to report their TMO texts to fierce or TMO news? Do they even use their data at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maybe. what kind of user has such an old phone? Are they likely to report their TMO texts to fierce or TMO news? Do they even use their data at all?

Lots of people have older phones. Reporting about it is another story, but it likely would have made its way to the public if they were indeed contacting customers well in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lots of people have older phones. Reporting about it is another story, but it likely would have made its way to the public if they were indeed contacting customers well in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No one has any any idea just how many of these "lots of people" there are.

If this is actually a big deal, then we'll see a story eventually.

I would think that most postpaid T-mo customers have moved on to newer devices, but prepaid and MVNOs are more likely to be selling outdated hardware.

I would find it more likely that T-Mobile customers would hold onto older devices longer than other carriers because of the lack of subsidies. "Free" upgrades are a great way to move subscribers to newer handsets, but if they have to pay extra there are many people that will hold onto older phones until they no longer work.

• Like 1

I would think that most postpaid T-mo customers have moved on to newer devices, but prepaid and MVNOs are more likely to be selling outdated hardware.

There's no MVNOs selling AWS HSPA-only phones. They're selling those pathetic but new ZTE and Samsung low-end phones.

Here's a list of MVNOs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

• Like 1

I would find it more likely that T-Mobile customers would hold onto older devices longer than other carriers because of the lack of subsidies. "Free" upgrades are a great way to move subscribers to newer handsets, but if they have to pay extra there are many people that will hold onto older phones until they no longer work.

If they're so cheap that they won't move, then 

a) they're customers for life because moving to a different carrier will, in their minds, require a new phone

B) because of (a) TMO can afford to gift them a phone such as this

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/ZTE-Zinger_id8986

(sold for $20 on Walmart Family Mobile) as compensation for killing their 4G.

• Like 1

If they're so cheap that they won't move, then 

a) they're customers for life because moving to a different carrier will, in their minds, require a new phone

B) because of (a) TMO can afford to gift them a phone such as this

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/ZTE-Zinger_id8986

(sold for $20 on Walmart Family Mobile) as compensation for killing their 4G.

If they are giving effected customers a new device, that is a great. Sprint was going to do something similar by those effected by the wimax shutdown.

If they are giving effected customers a new device, that is a great. Sprint was going to do something similar by those effected by the wimax shutdown.

I'm not saying they are. Tmobilehelp wouldn't tell me exactly what they're doing just that "the offer would be unique to each customer"

?

Heh... "@Maximus1901".. I wonder who that person could be. 

Hmm, I have no idea...

AJ

T-Mobile in Indianapolis.

#unannounced #unprepared #unconsumer

AJ

• Like 7

And how was Sprint's network in 2013, nationwide?

At least Sprint publicly announced that their network sucked, and said what they were doing to fix it. T-Mobile made no mention of this shutdown.

Anyways, you're comparing apple's to oranges.

-Anthony

At least Sprint publicly announced that their network sucked, and said what they were doing to fix it. T-Mobile made no mention of this shutdown.

Anyways, you're comparing apple's to oranges.

-Anthony

They're contacting affected people and giving them some sort of offer to upgrade and then they'll have hspa again.

• Like 1

And how was Sprint's network in 2013, nationwide?

Blah blah blah.  Irrelevant.  Nice red herring.

Under Legere, T-Mobile likes to dish shit. But can T-Mobile take its own shit and attitude?

AJ

• Like 1

This thread has become tedious, repetitious, and at least to me increasingly annoying.  Ok, there are Sprint fanatics who don't like T-Mobile.  And there are T-Mobile fanatics who don't like Sprint.  For some people, T-Mobile is good.  For some people T-Mobile is terrible.  For some people, Sprint is good.  For some people, Sprint is terrible.  I get it.  It is no longer interesting.

Some people think Legere walks on water,  Some people think Legere is the world's biggest putz.  Some people think Marcelo walks on water.  Some people think Marcelo is the world's biggest putz.  I get that too.  It is no longer interesting.

As the thread deteriorates into semi-mindless name calling, let's just stop the crap.  If someone has legitimate criticisms (or legitimate praise) for TMo, that's fine.  But, quite frankly, threads with similar vitriol that have "Sprint" in the title have been shut down completely.  I am not a staff member nor am I especially empowered in any way, but I think that I may speak for other Forum denizens who feel that either this thread should get back to the more technical aspects of T-Mobile, or should simply end.

My 2 cents worth.

• Like 18

I will agree that this thread seems like it is one of the more active topics here on S4GRU. It really may be because there's more a knowledge gap about T-Mobile's network among the membership than there is about the Sprint network. Not nessicary a bad thing, just an observation.

This thread has become tedious, repetitious, and at least to me increasingly annoying. Ok, there are Sprint fanatics who don't like T-Mobile. And there are T-Mobile fanatics who don't like Sprint. For some people, T-Mobile is good. For some people T-Mobile is terrible. For some people, Sprint is good. For some people, Sprint is terrible. I get it. It is no longer interesting.

Some people think Legere walks on water, Some people think Legere is the world's biggest putz. Some people think Marcelo walks on water. Some people think Marcelo is the world's biggest putz. I get that too. It is no longer interesting.

As the thread deteriorates into semi-mindless name calling, let's just stop the crap. If someone has legitimate criticisms (or legitimate praise) for TMo, that's fine. But, quite frankly, threads with similar vitriol that have "Sprint" in the title have been shut down completely. I am not a staff member nor am I especially empowered in any way, but I think that I may speak for other Forum denizens who feel that either this thread should get back to the more technical aspects of T-Mobile, or should simply end.

My 2 cents worth.

I am in agreement with you ....I like the technical aspects but I hate mindless bashing and name calling .....
  • Like 1