T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

The data experience will absolutely change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm referring to the most common complaint, which is voice coverage. Yes they will see LTE in more places, but unless they are placing a VoLTE call, the gaps in GSM will be glaringly apparent. 

I'm glad that they are focusing on convincing customers that they won't see EDGE anymore.

• Like 1

And the change will be gradual just like introduction of 2.5ghz phobes on sprint.

Eh, not really. Sprint seeded the market with phones supporting BC10 for voice YEARS before Nextel was even decommissioned. Those customers got to experience enhanced voice coverage on Day 1.

Compared to T-Mobile who can't even get Apple to include B12 in their iPhone 6/6+. I'm sure they will include it in the 6S/6S+, but customers who picked up the phone today and are under device financing agreements won't be able to just get the new phone. 

Eh, not really. Sprint seeded the market with phones supporting BC10 for voice YEARS before Nextel was even decommissioned. Those customers got to experience enhanced voice coverage on Day 1.

Compared to T-Mobile who can't even get Apple to include B12 in their iPhone 6/6+. I'm sure they will include it in the 6S/6S+, but customers who picked up the phone today and are under device financing agreements won't be able to just get the new phone.

Tmobile has kicked ass WITHOUT ANY lowband voice or data. I think they'll be just fine.

• Like 1

Tmobile has kicked ass WITHOUT ANY lowband voice or data. I think they'll be just fine.

Kicked ass*.

*In select metros where you either enter a building or drive outside of city limits and you drop to EDGE or No Service

-Anthony

• Like 9

Kicked ass*.

*In select metros where you either enter a building or drive outside of city limits and you drop to EDGE or No Service

-Anthony

Sprint has 800mhz for voice and lte.

Not a fair comparison.

AT&T makes progress on 700 MHz interoperability, likely benefiting T-Mobile

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/att-makes-progress-700-mhz-interoperability-likely-benefiting-t-mobile/2015-03-20

• In the filing, which was made last week, AT&T said that in the first half of this year it will bring devices to market that are fully capable of interoperating between Band 12 and Band 17
  • The carrier wrote it is "well into our field testing for all of our Macro-cellular vendors and progressing well with the exception of one vendor that has run into multiple software issues on their 3G (UMTS) cells, requiring software fixes that will need to be retested through the lab."
  • As part of the agreement it struck with the FCC in 2013, AT&T agreed that during first year of the device rollout period, which will start on Sept. 30 of this year, 50 percent of all new unique devices that AT&T launches that operate on the paired lower 700 MHz bands will be Band 12-capable devices.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/700-mhz-interoperability

Once MFBI has been fully implemented by AT&T, AT&T shall provide LTE roaming to 
carriers with compatible Band 12 devices, consistent with the Commission’s rules on roaming. 
 “Band 12 capable device” shall mean any device that is capable of supporting 3GPP Band 
Class 12. At this time, AT&T is exploring various Band 12 implementation approaches with 
its chipset and OEM partners and AT&T may pursue the most efficient solutions available 
based on evolving network and device capabilities on a technology neutral basis.
 During the first year of the device roll-out period, 50% of all new unique devices that operate 
on the paired Lower 700 MHz bands, as identified by unique SKU numbers, introduced by 
AT&T into its device portfolio will be Band 12 capable devices. Memory or color finish 
variations on a single device shall not be considered separate unique SKUs. Machine-to-
Machine (M-to-M) devices shall not be counted as “new unique devices” for purposes of this 
commitment.
 During the second year of the device roll-out period, 75% of new unique devices that operate 
on the paired Lower 700 MHz bands, as identified by unique SKU numbers, introduced by 
AT&T into its device portfolio will be Band 12 capable devices. Memory or color finish 
variations on a single device shall not be considered separate unique SKUs. M-to-M devices 
shall not be counted as “new unique devices” for purposes of this commitment.

ATT Filing

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=60001040090

Not a fair comparison.

Not in San Diego or most of Orange County they don't. I'm looking forward to seeing AT&T/Nextel Mexico and Sprint finally work out an agreement so that 800 can finally be deployed around here.

Not in San Diego or most of Orange County they don't. I'm looking forward to seeing AT&T/Nextel Mexico and Sprint finally work out an agreement so that 800 can finally be deployed around here.

Orange County can't deploy LTE 800 and CDMA 800 because of San Bernardino county PS services which are cockblocking the deployment since they haven't relocated to the new spectrum which they belong.  The IBEZ issue only affects the San Diego county which Sprint and Mexico is already in the progress of rebanding.  They approved of the 800 MHz rebanding plan since Aug 2013 and is required to be complete by Feb 23, 2016.  So hopefully they beat those expectations and can complete the rebanding effort in San Diego by end of 2015.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/commencement-800-mhz-band-reconfiguration-along-mexico-border

• Like 2

Not a fair comparison.

Sounds like a lame excuse. Sprint could claim low average speed test due to most testing taking place on band 25/26 who cares why and deal with the fact.

Software-configurable bandwidth is even more efficientIn addition, our Liquid Radio GSM Software Suite enables WCDMA to run in GSM bands using up to 30% less spectrum.Our Configurable Carrier Bandwidth technology allows operators to use software to configure WCDMA bandwidth in 3.8 MHz or 4.2 MHz. This flexibility allows operators to keep more spectrum in GSM when refarming to WCDMA to maintain service to GSM customers. In fact, the 3.8 MHz WCDMA bandwidth allows many operators with restricted GSM frequency allocation to start providing WCDMA services while continuing to deliver GSM services.Opens the door to Dual Cell services even in limited spectrumConfigurable Carrier Bandwidth allows operators to deploy Dual Cell HSPA+ refarming services in 7.6 MHz (2 x 3.8 MHz) of bandwidth, which is substantially less than the 10 MHz conventionally needed by networks for two-carrier solutions.Such industry-leading spectral efficiency allows many operators to offer Dual Cell HSPA+ for the first time while still continuing to provide GSM services.

http://networks.nokia.com/system/files/document/nokia_siemens_networks_dc_hspa__refarming_executive_summary_280912.pdf

• Like 1

So in NYC, where they only have 10fdd pcs, TMO could still have Hspa 42 and 12 gsm carriers (200khz per carrier)

That is too small a frequency reuse factor for a dense network like that (k=4).

It's just not feasible unfortunately. In a less dense network they could get away with it. Not NYC.

That is too small a frequency reuse factor for a dense network like that (k=4).

It's just not feasible unfortunately. In a less dense network they could get away with it. Not NYC.

Why can they re use it 1:1 just like Hspa?

So in NYC, where they only have 10fdd pcs, TMO could still have Hspa 42 and 12 gsm carriers (200khz per carrier)

Minimum accepted GSM allocation for reuse is 4.4MHz FDD (22 GSM carriers). On 10MHz FDD, even with 7.6MHz FDD for DC-HSPA+, you don't have enough for GSM.

• Like 1

Minimum accepted GSM allocation for reuse is 4.4MHz FDD (22 GSM carriers).

That minimum GSM allocation seems wonky, since 22 is not evenly divisible by many other integers -- just 1, 2, and 11.  So, what is the N or K of the frequency reuse pattern with 22 GSM channels?

AJ

That minimum GSM allocation seems wonky, since 22 is not evenly divisible by many other integers -- just 1, 2, and 11. So, what is the N or K of the frequency reuse pattern with 22 GSM channels?

AJ

I would reckon reuse factor of 7, which leaves an extra channel for a random 4 sector site?

Would be my best guess.