HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

The phone is great. Build quality is amazing. Screen amazing. Sense.... amazing. Best phone I have ever laid my hands on.

Where?

• Like 1

“Ultrapixel” shortage could mean big delays for the HTC One

"The latest news out of Taiwan is that the troubled manufacturer has been forced to cut the number of HTC One units that it plans to ship in the first half of 2013 by 80%. In other words, it’s only shipping 20% of what it thought it would when the HTC One was first announced."

http://www.pocketables.com/2013/03/ultrapixel-shortage-could-mean-big-delays-for-the-htc-one.html

I'm really wanting this to be a hit for HTC. I'm thinking hard about replacing my Evo LTE with this once it comes out, but I'm concerned that Sense, as usual will be bloated and take several updates to polish out better. Right now, either the S4 or One are going to be my next phone, unless Sprint gets a Nexus device in the near future. I've grown quite fond of my N7 and how smooth it operates.

What are the chances that the Motorla X Unicorn Phone will come to Sprint? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wait until May to see what happens with this phone, the GS4, and the new Moto/Google device.

"The latest news out of Taiwan is that the troubled manufacturer has been forced to cut the number of HTC One units that it plans to ship in the first half of 2013 by 80%. In other words, it’s only shipping 20% of what it thought it would when the HTC One was first announced."

http://www.pocketabl...he-htc-one.html

Oh boy, I read this over at phandroid yesterday and if this turns out to actually be true then HTC is gonna be in a world of hurt. They have a lot of momentum right now and its important for them to be able to meet their demands or else consumers will end up just going elsewhere rather than wait. I really hope this is not true for HTC's sake.

themuffinman wake up bro! It was you an me fighting in the HTC forum about LTE issues on the EVO LTE! I agree I'm willing to wait for Robert or one of the team to go over the phone first before I pass judgement but I'm not buying into HTC's info without good proof that there are no issues like on the EVO LTE. I really love the new HTC One design and IR Blaster makes me want to get it just for it alone but I'm not too fond of the Sense 5 software AT ALL! And if their camera isn't as good as they say the phone will be DOA and HTC can start getting their Chapter 11 started. But if it is, well then that's a thing of beauty and they might give Samsung a run for their money! HTC needs to pull some market share from Apple and a HTC One that looks better than the iPhone 5 is a great start! Not to mention they just released a new version (or are releasing) HTC Sync which allows straight iPhone backups (or so I read, can't remember where?). Awesome HTC! Now let me disable Blinkfeed and I'd be a lot more anxious for the HTC One!

I completely agree that the new HTC One looks like an awesome phone. I also, agree that the stupid 'Blinkfeed' is useless, and I too hope it can be disabled.

Don't knock it till you try it!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Fair enough...

Considering, howeve, my job completely prohibits me from using Social Networking, the Blinkfeed feature will be completely useless to me. :unsure:

http://www.pocketabl...he-htc-one.html

I smell a rat.

seems like HTC can't seem to get out of it's own way anymore.

just doesn't bode well if they can't foresee these kinds of production issues until they've already announced the phone and I don't think they seem smart enough to do this as a marketing ploy to make it seem like the phone is so rare that everyone is lining up to get one....

• Like 1

seems like HTC can't seem to get out of it's own way anymore.

just doesn't bode well if they can't foresee these kinds of production issues until they've already announced the phone and I don't think they seem smart enough to do this as a marketing ploy to make it seem like the phone is so rare that everyone is lining up to get one....

I agree with your first statement, if this is in fact happening and not just bad information from an anonymous source.

I disagree that, if it were a marketing ploy, it would take any particular cleverness to come up with it.

Engadget"s review: http://www.engadget....htc-one-review/

Looks like they really liked it.

Feck yeah they did! Though, I'm confused about this part:

Finally, as you've likely already surmised by now, the 2,300mAh battery inside the One isn't removable or even accessible.

What's the difference between "removable" and "accessible"? The way that's phrased, it seems to imply that there's no way of getting to the battery, even with the right tools, which I'm sure can't be right. Even with a molded unibody, there must be some way of non-destructively gaining access to the internals.

My only real gripe about it is the phone:

The only thing that's sorely missing is the ability to touch and hold the on-screen shutter button to lock exposure and focus, even when the One's burst-shooting mode is disabled.

Are you KIDDING me? I know, this might not seem like a huge deal to some, but for a lot of up-close shots, this feature is indispensable. Sometimes the subject that you want to focus on is just too small to allow the phone ANY interpretation on what it thinks you’re tapping on, so it decides to focus on something in the background with astounding consistency (at least in the case of the EVO LTE). For example, I never could have got these shots if it weren’t for the focus-lock on the camera button:

8552228473_22cfb39d2b_c.jpg

8552234017_5d4bd453b1_c.jpg

I can't help but wonder since we won't need that SIM card slot if they might repurpose that as a micro SD card slot like they did on the EVO LTE? I know it's wishful thinking, but I can always hope.

I can't help but wonder since we won't need that SIM card slot if they might repurpose that as a micro SD card slot like they did on the EVO LTE? I know it's wishful thinking, but I can always hope.

Pretty sure Sprints version is still a world phone, making the SIM card slot necessary.

I'm curious, has it been confirmed that the Sprint version is a world capable phone?

TS

Nothing is for sure except wild speculation :)

The Engadget review lists at least four different models/radio configurations, but some at XDA speculate they are all exactly the same, just enabled for different carriers.

Curiouser and curiouser. Maybe we'll find out Friday :fingers:

Fair enough...

Considering, howeve, my job completely prohibits me from using Social Networking, the Blinkfeed feature will be completely useless to me. :unsure:

You can use it for sports and tech blogs :)

• Like 1

What's the difference between "removable" and "accessible"? The way that's phrased, it seems to imply that there's no way of getting to the battery, even with the right tools, which I'm sure can't be right. Even with a molded unibody, there must be some way of non-destructively gaining access to the internals.

I think this is because the battery is sandwiched in between the display and the motherboard. So you can't get to it without removing the screen.

http://blog.htc.com/2013/03/htc-one-developer-edition/

This is interesting, I wasn't expecting them to go this route at all. Not a bad deal for anyone thinking about getting one off contract anyway.

http://blog.htc.com/2013/03/htc-one-developer-edition/

This is interesting, I wasn't expecting them to go this route at all. Not a bad deal for anyone thinking about getting one off contract anyway.

CDMA misses the boat again. Also doesn't support Tmo 3G/4G on AWS.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

CDMA misses the boat again. Also doesn't support Tmo 3G/4G on AWS.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Yeah I noticed that as well but hopefully they work something out for sprint since htc and sprint seem to have a pretty good relationship

I wonder how "unlocked" that bootloader is...

LOL, I know right!!! But I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and it not be any fine print talking about some sort of nonsense.