Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

no its from a few months ago. so he needs to wait for the update from sprint? So Spark is in his area then?

Spark is on a lot of the old wimax towers.  If there are wimax towers in Yorba Linda, then there is likely Sprint 2500-2600 LTE (Spark).  The old S4 is NOT Spark enabled and will not be enabled as it does not have the radio's.  Spark will be on newer phones that have been released in the last few months.

no its from a few months ago. so he needs to wait for the update from sprint? So Spark is in his area then?

Spark is on a lot of the old wimax towers.  If there are wimax towers in Yorba Linda, then there is likely Sprint 2500-2600 LTE (Spark).  The old S4 is NOT Spark enabled and will not be enabled as it does not have the radio's.  Spark will be on newer phones that have been released in the last few months.

Yup, his s4 will not be able to get spark because it doesn't have the hardware for it.  The new triband s4 that came out in 2014 has the hardware for spark.

What do the trucks look like? Hoping to spot one myself in my area.

Sprint is using NX Utilities for backhaul in the OC area. There website is here:

http://empiretelecomm.com

The trucks look similar to this but usually instead of a lift in the back, they have a bunch of huge spools of fiber:

uploadfromtaptalk1389989686817.jpg

I believe that Cox and AT&T are also used for some of the backhaul down here but I can't confirm that.

• Like 1

Btw... I believe that they are really close on the 133 near Laguna Beach now. I just passed a NX Utilities truck near a 3g accepted tower and now I'm on the beach and roaming where I normally have a strong sprint signal.

Currently in Disneyland but this lte here is pretty impressive in the park. My videos and pictures uploaded like a breeze. Ran three speed tests and so far so good. I'm surprised that it works this well on such a crowded area.

Currently on the nexus 5 but haven't picked up lte 2500.

Currently in Disneyland but this lte here is pretty impressive in the park. My videos and pictures uploaded like a breeze. Ran three speed tests and so far so good. I'm surprised that it works this well on such a crowded area.

Glad to hear. LTE coverage in Disneyland has improved drastically. There are still zones where LTE doesn't reach but there's a few sites waiting for upgrades near the property. I can't wait...

I've been pretty impressed with Sprint recently too. I went to Laguna Beach today and a second tower in the downtown area just got 4g which made the signal and the speed a lot better than a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

I've been pretty impressed with Sprint recently too. I went to Laguna Beach today and a second tower in the downtown area just got 4g which made the signal and the speed a lot better than a couple weeks ago.

My bro lives in new port beach and it seems like they just keep missing the cite nearest to his pad haha. Go figure! Other than that coverage has definitely been getting a lot better in OC. Heck, during the winter break Sprint upgraded the site on my college campus which helps a lot because there are dead wifi zones outside but strong when inside. Can't wait for the Spark update for the N5 :P

Currently in the area also. Disneyland is so so for me on lte but california adventure largely bas great coverage. Was also able to upload videos from the incredibly crowded convention center which in the past you couldnt even get email. Amazing improvements!

Anyone else receive this text today? I'm curious to know if this is a generic news blast that goes to everyone or if it's targeted to a particular section of the network.

attachicon.gifIMG_2284.PNG

I received the text a few days ago. It's definitely a generic news blast going to everyone, as Mr. S4GRU himself got the text in a Sprint-free zone. It has nothing to do with anything other than marketing.

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow my HTC One connected to 1x 800 while I was at the gym earlier this evening, which is near the Irvine Spectrum. Wasn't expecting it at all since we're in the IBEZ zone. Screenshots attached.

Kept bouncing between 1x 1900 and 1x 800 pretty much the entire two hours I was there. Although, when I was closer to the windows, it stuck with 1x 1900. LTE is generally reliable, although the gym is between two LTE accepted towers, so when it bounces between those towers it drops down to 3G and then back to LTE, I'm guessing it must be on the fringe of the signal reach for those towers.

So any insight as to why I was bouncing around between 1x 1900 and 800? Could they be doing testing already?! Didn't expect to see 800 until end of this year, sometime next year. I will add that it didn't appear like I could send text messages while connected to 1x 800. Also, while I was outside I was roaming on MetroPCS for a time (while connected to Sprint LTE).

Screenshot_2014-02-13-18-59-39.png

Screenshot_2014-02-13-19-02-03.png

• Like 2

I confirmed that they are working on site OG36XC527 near Laguna Beach. I've seen a lot of backhaul activity in the previous months too so I would expect that this will go from nothing to 3g/4g once it launches.

Posted Image

Somehow my HTC One connected to 1x 800 while I was at the gym earlier this evening, which is near the Irvine Spectrum. Wasn't expecting it at all since we're in the IBEZ zone. Screenshots attached.

Kept bouncing between 1x 1900 and 1x 800 pretty much the entire two hours I was there. Although, when I was closer to the windows, it stuck with 1x 1900. LTE is generally reliable, although the gym is between two LTE accepted towers, so when it bounces between those towers it drops down to 3G and then back to LTE, I'm guessing it must be on the fringe of the signal reach for those towers.

So any insight as to why I was bouncing around between 1x 1900 and 800? Could they be doing testing already?! Didn't expect to see 800 until end of this year, sometime next year. I will add that it didn't appear like I could send text messages while connected to 1x 800. Also, while I was outside I was roaming on MetroPCS for a time (while connected to Sprint LTE).

Remember, Irvine is actually NOT in the IBEZ. There was a map that showed the tip top of the IBEZ was actually San Clemente. The delays we're having here in OC and southeast LA are mainly due to public safety rebanding issues if I correctly recall what AJ said to me a while ago:

I think you have posted this and been corrected previously.  The IBEZ does not include all of Orange County.  Reasons for the absence of SMR 800 MHz deployment are varied.  Do not just chalk it up to the IBEZ.  And Orange County, as we understand it, is affected by public safety rebanding issues.

AJ

Finally found a better map for the Mexican border.

attachicon.gif map.jpg

Source: http://www.800ta.org/content/resources/reconfiguration_timetable.pdf

In any case, if you're seeing 1x800, I hope that's a good sign that the rebanding is done or at least partially done and they're starting to have 1x800 acceptances down here.

• Like 1

According to your Signal Check screen shot, your device connected to a 1x site outside the IBEZ:  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=10300+Success+Avenue,+Los+Angeles,+CA&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80c2cbd59a45a7ed:0xd60e2ce692c6815d,10300+Success+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90002&gl=us&ei=eL3-Uvv-MLOgyQGQkoGwCQ&ved=0CCkQ8gEwAA

CDMA 800 travels mega long distances.  That's the key reason why the IBEZ boundary is set so far inside the international boundary.  So you were not even ever connected to a 1X 800 site in your market.

Robert

• Like 1

According to your Signal Check screen shot, your device connected to a 1x site outside the IBEZ:  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=10300+Success+Avenue,+Los+Angeles,+CA&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80c2cbd59a45a7ed:0xd60e2ce692c6815d,10300+Success+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90002&gl=us&ei=eL3-Uvv-MLOgyQGQkoGwCQ&ved=0CCkQ8gEwAA

CDMA 800 travels mega long distances.  That's the key reason why the IBEZ boundary is set so far inside the international boundary.  So you were not even ever connected to a 1X 800 site in your market.

Robert

Wow... That is amazing distance! Irvine Spectrum is 43~44 miles away from that site.

Wow, that is quite a distance...very interesting. That is quite a distance with many buildings, trees, etc in between...except no real hills as it's generally flat between those two points. It never connected this evening when I was at the gym, nor did I roam on MetroPCS while outside.

I confirmed that they are working on site OG36XC527 near Laguna Beach. I've seen a lot of backhaul activity in the previous months too so I would expect that this will go from nothing to 3g/4g once it launches.

I believe all the towers on the 133 to Laguna Beach are now all 3g accepted. As a result, I ran a speed test near the beach as I figured load would be on picked up by the new towers and here is what I got:

Posted Image

This is much improved. Now I'm just waiting for there to be enough 3g accepted towers near where I live so they can cluster launch. 0.02mbs when LTE doesn't pick up is quite useless. Luckily, LTE normally works.

• 2 weeks later...
Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread.

I've observed some interesting behavior with ------- in Brea. Haven't been able to connect to EVDO for the past couple days and my phone keeps bouncing back and forth between 1x and LTE at odd times. Hopefully a sign that CDMA 800 equipment is being installed?

Edited by lilotimz

• 4 weeks later...

Was at the NCAA Tournament last night inside Honda Center and man, 4G LTE speeds were unusually brutal. I got full bars of LTE but I really couldn't do anything with it like check stats of the games. I'm not sure if Sprint has a DAS installed inside of Honda Center but as soon as I got out onto the Douglass & Katella, I was getting 15megs download.

0.05 megs down/1.84megs up with a 48ms ping time. I do understand that speeds slow down with a bunch of people in a small concentrated area but to have unusable LTE is frustrating.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by bookertdub