Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

Was at the NCAA Tournament last night inside Honda Center and man, 4G LTE speeds were unusually brutal. I got full bars of LTE but I really couldn't do anything with it like check stats of the games. I'm not sure if Sprint has a DAS installed inside of Honda Center but as soon as I got out onto the Douglass & Katella, I was getting 15megs download.0.05 megs down/1.84megs up with a 48ms ping time. I do understand that speeds slow down with a bunch of people in a small concentrated area but to have unusable LTE is frustrating.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The grass isn't greener on AT&T either. I'm dying at events and games too. I keep having to pull out my VZW hotspot. Damn you Randall Stephenson! AT&T's network heyday was 2013. They are really starting to suffer in MANY places. It feels like the iPhone craze in 2008 all over again.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Was at the NCAA Tournament last night inside Honda Center and man, 4G LTE speeds were unusually brutal. I got full bars of LTE but I really couldn't do anything with it like check stats of the games. I'm not sure if Sprint has a DAS installed inside of Honda Center but as soon as I got out onto the Douglass & Katella, I was getting 15megs download. 0.05 megs down/1.84megs up with a 48ms ping time. I do understand that speeds slow down with a bunch of people in a small concentrated area but to have unusable LTE is frustrating. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This is similar to what happens in Disneyland, I was there on Wednesday, was connected with full LTE bars but the connection seemed to be death. Also placing a call took a bit of time probably like 10 seconds before I heard the first tone...

Can't wait for NV to complete.

Yes, Disneyland can be brutal but it is exceptionally better than a year or so ago! There are some defnite dead spots, especially at Disneyland, California Adventure overall is not bad at all and LTE almost everywhere. 

I was shocked this past January at the NAMM show / convention at the convention center (accross Katella from California Advanture) and I was able to upload videos to my work website with no problems at all. In past years you could barely make a phone call and realistically couldn't do anything via 3G. Incredibly better. When you combine the crowds of the parks and the crowds of that convention (upwards of 50,000 people) it's pretty amazing it works at all. 

I have to agree with you...I have Disneyland season passes and have seen a huge difference this year compared to last year! I remember last year trying to use the park app and couldn't even get it to download

I have to agree with you...I have Disneyland season passes and have seen a huge difference this year compared to last year! I remember last year trying to use the park app and couldn't even get it to download

LOL, I still used the good old Nextel at the Park in January on a "framily" trip because the Nextel Direct Connection (without need of a Network) had very good range within the park. I was actually at the Disneyland Hotel while the kids roamed the parks and I was able to communicate with them without an issue.

Yes, Disneyland can be brutal but it is exceptionally better than a year or so ago! There are some defnite dead spots, especially at Disneyland, California Adventure overall is not bad at all and LTE almost everywhere. 

I was shocked this past January at the NAMM show / convention at the convention center (accross Katella from California Advanture) and I was able to upload videos to my work website with no problems at all. In past years you could barely make a phone call and realistically couldn't do anything via 3G. Incredibly better. When you combine the crowds of the parks and the crowds of that convention (upwards of 50,000 people) it's pretty amazing it works at all. 

I went to white wonderland at the convention center during NYE... and the network was unusable inside the venue probably because of the amount of people in Disneyland and at the rave. I got 4G few times but got disconnected even tho an upgraded tower is really close to the venue I had usable service during the night. Texting was not working either... My friend on verizon had 4G and was able to use his phone, We both have the moto x. Had to use the free wifi at the convention center. 

Yes, you are correct. Service is getting better and better. I remember not being able to get data at all or make calls at the park. Sometimes I had to try and use 4G Wimax on my Nexus S to send text messages over Google Voice to reach my friends. 

LOL, I still used the good old Nextel at the Park in January on a "framily" trip because the Nextel Direct Connection (without need of a Network) had very good range within the park. I was actually at the Disneyland Hotel while the kids roamed the parks and I was able to communicate with them without an issue.

Wow. Were you using  Direct Talk ? The off network feature on nextel phones?

Wow. Were you using  Direct Talk ? The off network feature on nextel phones?

Yes and it work very well. I actually see businesses still using Direct Talk with their old phones. In Las Vegas, you see that staff at the M Resort still using old Nextel phones in Direct Talk Mode, especially at the Buffet.

The only place I had problems in the convention center during the NAMM show was in Hall A and the arena which weren't good. I take it that event was at that end. Totally forgot about that as I was hardly in that area but yeah, it wasn't working over there. 

Also a trick I've used in the parks is there is "open" wifi in the Disney hotels and also at the new Starbucks in Downtown Disney if you really need to send photos or something, this works. 

There are Starbucks in each park now but they unfortunately do not offer wifi. 

The only place I had problems in the convention center during the NAMM show was in Hall A and the arena which weren't good. I take it that event was at that end. Totally forgot about that as I was hardly in that area but yeah, it wasn't working over there. 

Also a trick I've used in the parks is there is "open" wifi in the Disney hotels and also at the new Starbucks in Downtown Disney if you really need to send photos or something, this works. 

There are Starbucks in each park now but they unfortunately do not offer wifi. 

The Rave was in Hall D, entrance started in Hall A then checkpoints going thru Hall B, C and finally reaching D.

I don't visit the hotels often neither Starbucks but thanks for the tip. 

Hope the 2 legacy towers near the park be upgraded soon so we can enjoy LTE in all the spotty places.

I actually have to work out of the convention center every year at the NAMM show and it was awesome to be able to upload videos right from the show floor! The year before I couldn't even make a call and texts were severely delayed!

• 4 weeks later...

A site in Brea that has had LTE for about a year has suddenly gone silent and EVDO speeds are less than 0.1 Mbps for two days now. Really hoping this means the final CDMA additions are being worked on...

Super frustrated with this.  The site went LTE live in 2/2013, I've had good strong LTE at my office from that day until about two or three weeks ago.  Now it's 3G that is almost unusable at < 0.1 MBps.  If it does connect to LTE, it's so weak that it almost immediately drops back to 3G.  Sometimes I even get only 1X.  I called Sprint, and of course they blamed my phone.  It was like pulling teeth to get them to submit a work ticket two weeks ago.  No improvement at all since then.  I think I'll call again today to get an update, who knows if it was ever submitted/worked.

• 2 weeks later...

What's up in the OC?  Things have pretty much come to a halt here...

Yeah looks like it. I work 20 feet from a tower at one of the Sprint data centers and it still doesn't have LTE. It's upgraded but for some reason they can't seem to get the backhaul done on their own property. Blows my mind.

Yeah, I kind of think there is one technician to service this whole area. Kind of unacceptable. Also, I don't buy that only the "hard" towers are left. I be driven a bunch of them and they are all very accessible and low to the ground.

It's definitely slowed down a bit down here, but I've seen some progress. A tower in Tustin just recently got LTE, and then two of the 4 towers I would love to get upgraded in Irvine finally have NV 3G. Definitely not as fast as I would like them to be, but there's definitely something going on.

Yup, seems like they are focusing in the Inland Empire, I been waiting patiently for the tower next to my office to go LTE live but its been a while and its the only one left with no LTE... Signal and speeds are really slow after 8am so not able to use my phone when I want to surf the web. Hope it changes soon

• Like 1

Yup, seems like they are focusing in the Inland Empire, I been waiting patiently for the tower next to my office to go LTE live but its been a while and its the only one left with no LTE... Signal and speeds are really slow after 8am so not able to use my phone when I want to surf the web. Hope it changes soon

Same here.  I've been waiting patiently for the tower next to my office to get LTE and it's the only one near by that hasn't gotten LTE yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Bad news for the 800mhz rebranding in OC  :(

OC filed for an extension for submitting the rebranding cost estimates to Sprint. Apparently Motorola is overwhelmed with the project and will take longer than expected. The document is a little confusing because they throw out so many dates, but it sounds like Sprint won't even get to review the estimates until July 14th at the latest.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/orange-county-extension

Bad news for the 800mhz rebranding in OC :(

OC filed for an extension for submitting the rebranding cost estimates to Sprint. Apparently Motorola is overwhelmed with the project and will take longer than expected. The document is a little confusing because they throw out so many dates, but it sounds like Sprint won't even get to review the estimates until July 14th at the latest.

Sad news. Does anyone know how this process works? What happens after Sprint receives the cost estimate?

Bad news for the 800mhz rebranding in OC  :(

I waited 2 extra months for the 4.4.3 update on my Nexus 5. I think I'm patient enough for a 2 month delay in the OC giving Sprint its cost estimates. I just hope that, by July 14, they actually give it and don't ask for another extension. As an engineer myself, I hate it when the business side of my company decides to go with an unrealistic release date, so I understand if Motorola's engineers can't hit the date that Sprint was asking of them, but still... this sucks for us who are actively waiting for 800 MHz to finally be available for our triband phones.

I waited 2 extra months for the 4.4.3 update on my Nexus 5. I think I'm patient enough for a 2 month delay in the OC giving Sprint its cost estimates. I just hope that, by July 14, they actually give it and don't ask for another extension. As an engineer myself, I hate it when the business side of my company decides to go with an unrealistic release date, so I understand if Motorola's engineers can't hit the date that Sprint was asking of them, but still... this sucks for us who are actively waiting for 800 MHz to finally be available for our triband phones.

As someone who is also an engineer, I feel your pain  :)

The deadline for completing the transition is February 23, 2016. It's not clear whether OC plans to be transitioned before that date or if they are the only holdouts at this point. I'm a little concerned if Motorola has problems planning this project they will also have problems implementing it. We'll see...