Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

The CDMA iPhone 5 does support 1X at 800 MHz http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Correct, the iPhone 5 does support CDMA1X 800, but your "Phones/Devices" listing below your avatar indicates that you have an iPhone 4S.

And Apple still presents its specs improperly, as it does not distinguish between SMR 800 MHz and Cellular 850 MHz.

AJ

How much does Sprint's ESMR holdings vary from state to state? Or does Sprint have 14mhz nationwide?

No, not nationwide. Most notably, Sprint has less spectrum in the Southeast where SouthernLINC is the nation's second largest ESMR incumbent. And even in markets where Sprint holds a full 14 MHz complement of SMR 800 MHz spectrum, Sprint may not be able to utilize its entire holdings because of international boundary channel coordination.

AJ

• Like 1

I am confused. So the i5 doesn't have the proper prl to connect to smr ? Do u think this will be corrected later on?

Possibly. The E4GT was corrected to use 800SMR in the latest PRL update, so I would assume the Note2, Photon Q LTE, iPhone5, etc would be corrected as well. Enabling 800SMR 1xA on every handset possible and every site possible is a roaming charge saver for Sprint.

• Like 1

Will 800 SMR cdma be deployed in every market as LTE launches? Or is it dependent on remaining Nextel users.

It's part of Network Vision 2.0. Gotta boot off the remaining nextel users first...

They've already begun in some places where they've cleared enough spectrum or where they needed it but it's infrequent and unpredictable on where they'll turn on 800mhz cdma.

I thought the 4S supported 800 1X. Seemed like a nice explanation for why my mom's 4S always has a 5 bar signal at her house, while I'm barely holding on to a 2 bar signal... Same at my house. We both get 5 bars (tower is super close) but she always has a 10dbm or so better signal then me. I know we could be connecting to different towers, but why is my iPhone connecting to a further away tower (especially at my house) when there is a better signal available?

• Like 1

I thought the 4S supported 800 1X.

Nope. The iPhone 5 was the first Apple device to support a Sprint specific band, be it SMR 800 MHz or PCS G 1900 MHz.

AJ

Will 800mhz tower hand off to legacy 1900mhz tower. Didn't know if it could only hand off to NV tower.

I'm assuming by the time 800mhz is actively deployed, you won't have handoff issues because every tower in the cluster will be upgraded as well.

• 3 weeks later...
How will the downtilt of the 1900/800mhz panels affect 800mhz coverage? I imagine the downtilt is optimized for 1900mhz spacing.

The mechanical downtilt is obviously static, but the 800 and 1900 arrays under the radome have independent remote electrical tilt motors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

How will the downtilt of the 1900/800mhz panels affect 800mhz coverage? I imagine the downtilt is optimized for 1900mhz spacing.

There is both external and internal downtilt. The external downtilt affects all bands/technologies in the panel. Internal downtilt can also change the internal downtilt up to ten degrees further for each band/technology.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

The mechanical downtilt is obviously static, but the 800 and 1900 arrays under the radome have independent remote electrical tilt motors.

Thanks for the post. You just beat me to it. :tu:

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

Correct. The panels have 3 independent mech downtilt adjustments that are controlled remotely. But one thing that puzzled me is I've seen a drawing of a 4 RRU site. I would have assumed LTE was on one array, PCS EV/1X was on another, 800SMR on the middle one. But nope, the drawing showed the LTE combined with PCS CDMA. It didn't specify whether it was 1X or EV, just PCS CDMA for both PCS sides. Guessing they have EV and LTE combined and 1X PCS on the other. I can think of a couple of reasons why but you would think this would out weigh the pro's of putting LTE by itself due to the differences. And this might be one of the reasons why we don't see 3G adds until multiple towers in the same cluster come online.

• Like 1

Correct. The panels have 3 independent mech downtilt adjustments that are controlled remotely. But one thing that puzzled me is I've seen a drawing of a 4 RRU site. I would have assumed LTE was on one array, PCS EV/1X was on another, 800SMR on the middle one. But nope, the drawing showed the LTE combined with PCS CDMA. It didn't specify whether it was 1X or EV, just PCS CDMA for both PCS sides. Guessing they have EV and LTE combined and 1X PCS on the other. I can think of a couple of reasons why but you would think this would out weigh the pro's of putting LTE by itself due to the differences. And this might be one of the reasons why we don't see 3G adds until multiple towers in the same cluster come online.

There are actually only 2 tilt arrays in the antennas(well, in the Powerwave and KWM). One for 800 and one for 1900. While the emission type may be different, propagation will be similar for all technologies that use the same band. And these aren't cookie cutter, so don't put too much effort into figuring out what radiates out of which antenna, it will vary based on number of carriers, power used, frequencies available, terrain, etc...

And 3G is always cut in clusters, it minimizes the number of hard handoffs that need to be set up between the new and old technologies. The LTE can be turned up right away because there is no existing footprint to match and the handoffs are set up in a different manner. And since there is no voice traffic, trunk groups don't need to be tested at each site.

• Like 5

There are actually only 2 tilt arrays in the antennas(well, in the Powerwave and KWM). One for 800 and one for 1900. While the emission type may be different, propagation will be similar for all technologies that use the same band. And these aren't cookie cutter, so don't put too much effort into figuring out what radiates out of which antenna, it will vary based on number of carriers, power used, frequencies available, terrain, etc...

I take it you work for a telecom company? Seem very knowledgeable.

And 3G is always cut in clusters, it minimizes the number of hard handoffs that need to be set up between the new and old technologies.

Just curious, are you referring to inter frequency hard handoffs between CDMA1X 800 and CDMA1X 1900, service option hard handoffs between CDMA1X Advanced and CDMA1X, or both?

AJ

• Like 1

The IFHHO between vendors. I guess 'technologies' was poor word choice on my part

We know that handoffs between legacy Motorola and Network Vision Samsung in Chicago (and, presumably, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus) have been problematic. But legacy Nortel is the same intellectual property as Network Vision Ericsson. So long as they are not inter frequency hard handoffs, those soft handoffs should be fine, right?

AJ

Legacy Nortel may be the same IP, but you still have different controllers and different switches. It may be smoother than say Nortel to Motorola(Which I personally know to be a real pain), but as far as I know, it's not a soft handoff, and still needs to be built properly.The goal is to build as few of those as possible, because you have to optimize them, even if they're only going to exist for a week, you can't have customers dropping that many calls.

• Like 1

And 3G is always cut in clusters, it minimizes the number of hard handoffs that need to be set up between the new and old technologies. The LTE can be turned up right away because there is no existing footprint to match and the handoffs are set up in a different manner. And since there is no voice traffic, trunk groups don't need to be tested at each site.

The RFS panels they are using in Ericsson markets have 3 ACUs on the bottom. Two are daisy chained together and what I thought was interesting was the 800 SMR one passed through the a box labelled 800 ESMR filter. I couldn't find any info on it, at first I thought it was band type filter but not sure why the ACU would pass through it.

I saw some pics of with the KWM panels in them but they still have the 6 RF ports on them. They also list on their website they have a Tri-band panel but alas the datasheet is missing. The powerwave docs I've been able to dig up also list 3 ACUs (or RETs in their world). Do you know what panels they are using? We've found some 33 degree panels here in our market but I can't find any info on them.