Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Thanks AJ for the info. So, basicly Sprint can't expand coverage due to the low turnout of people in those areas. Thought a while back that Sprint had some coverage areas in MT that they could use that 1900/800MHz in those areas. Did they lose those areas or what? It would be real nice to see Sprint use those areas in those states to improve or reduce their roaming cost and just maybe withthe help of Softbank's money they can just slowly put up some towers mostly in the 800MHz band since Nextel never had coverage in those areas and to show current & future customers they want their business as they travel like truck drivers and reg people cuz I for one can sure use that expanded area to talk to atleast 50 to 100 more people I know and thru those people to come on board with Sprint.

Just a thought I guess.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's MT?

Also, I'd love to see them fill coverage holes in major markets like NYC first. Especially once you leave the city, coverage goes down the drain.

I know 1x on 800 will really help, just wish they could do data as well.

• Like 1

Staying connected to SMR 800 all over town, like I did when I forced my phone onto it. It's so far staying on band class 10/channel 476 during calls too, I'm sure that may change when the carrier gets filled up with devices. Service option 68 during a call just like when on PCS...

Forgive my ignorance, but what's MT?

Also, I'd love to see them fill coverage holes in major markets like NYC first. Especially once you leave the city, coverage goes down the drain.

I know 1x on 800 will really help, just wish they could do data as well.

MT = Montana

I'm looking forward to when Sprint uses that 800MHz SMR band to fill in as much as they can with it to reduce that roaming cause I just hate being on that slow a** 1x network via VZW & any other carriers including Sprint's own 1x network when doing the simple things on the web.

• Like 2

Now that I've been connected for over a day to SMR800, since Sprint unblocked it all over town it seems, I've been having fantastic coverage! (not that it was bad before!)

I've done a bit of running around yesterday and today, went to a christmas party in a small town 16 miles south of here where there is alot of nothing in between there and here and found myself with strong signal the entire way, and then 5-6 bars inside the restaurant I was at. There was a road with a dip in it that before you would drop a call because the signal got so weak there, not anymore with SMR800 on.

I can't wait til they get SMR800 going in the rest of Chicago! Sprint will finally match (or exceed) AT&T's indoor coverage.

• Like 9

Sprint's former native coverage in MT, WY and the Dakotas was provided by Alltel. After Alltel was bought by Verizon and split between itself and AT&T, the old Alltel agreement went away and Sprint was left to only roaming on the legacy Alltel network.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

MT = Montana

I'm looking forward to when Sprint uses that 800MHz SMR band to fill in as much as they can with it to reduce that roaming cause I just hate being on that slow a** 1x network via VZW & any other carriers including Sprint's own 1x network when doing the simple things on the web.

That's exactly what I'm hoping to see.

• Like 1

Now that I've been connected for over a day to SMR800, since Sprint unblocked it all over town it seems, I've been having fantastic coverage! (not that it was bad before!)

I've done a bit of running around yesterday and today, went to a christmas party in a small town 16 miles south of here where there is alot of nothing in between there and here and found myself with strong signal the entire way, and then 5-6 bars inside the restaurant I was at. There was a road with a dip in it that before you would drop a call because the signal got so weak there, not anymore with SMR800 on.

I can't wait til they get SMR800 going in the rest of Chicago! Sprint will finally match (or exceed) AT&T's indoor coverage.

This is key, and will help bridge the gap between the carriers. Once people start noticing that Sprint has equal coverage, the value prop will push them over the edge to switch.

Out here in BFE Indiana, they seem to be having fun turning 800 on and off lately.

Same story here, I lost it for a few days, then late last night I found my phone roaming while still connected to LTE (USCC) and then after it switched back to Sprint (1X must have gone down, my phone has NO reason to roam in my home) it was back on CDMA 800, and it will stay connected everywhere for a day or two then drop again...

Now, 800 has been active all day, but eHRPD disappeared. Not to veer too far off topic, but just to note: it seems like I always get slightly faster 3G on EVDO Rev A versus eHRPD. Whenever EVDO comes back like right now, I seem to consistently pull 2.1 - 2.3 meg down, while eHRPD seems to fluctuate more. Latency is definitely lower also, in the order of maybe 15ms on average.

I connected to 800 late last night, went back to 1900 when I went into Chicago then connected back to 800 when I came home. It's nice to compare notes as to when were connecting to CDMA 800! I didn't know if it was my phone being weird or Sprint blocking/unblocking it alot.

What will 800 LTE be deployed? 5x5 and 2x2 MIMO (currently) or will it be 5x5 and 4x4 MIMO?

edit: I understand it will not be until later half of next year.

PS. Just curious.

It will work at 4x4 MIMO at the very least with the the release 10 update.

Regardless handsets will use 2x2 MIMO for the for seeable future.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

So with 800 1x being deployed and used, what happens if I'm in an area with 1900 MHz LTE and no 800 MHz LTE? Will my iPhone, which has only one radio, have to decide whether it wants great coverage or the fastest connection?

Or even if my phone has to choose between 800 1x and 1900 EVDO?

If you are able to load a prl on your phone, try loading the custom one in the download section. 800 is all over dc but inaccessible unless you have a prl designed to access it. In Waco and Chicago the prl is set up for them to connect but not anywhere else. In my area which is DC almost every nv tower is broadcasting 800 MHz but isn't shown as complete on the maps.

DC proper or the suburbs? I get terrible in building coverage at 14th and H and I would love to try out the indoor coverage at 800 Mhz.

So with 800 1x being deployed and used, what happens if I'm in an area with 1900 MHz LTE and no 800 MHz LTE? Will my iPhone, which has only one radio, have to decide whether it wants great coverage or the fastest connection?

Or even if my phone has to choose between 800 1x and 1900 EVDO?

Nothing has 800 Mhz Sprint LTE yet. The first devices to support it will be next year sometime. I'm pretty sure the phone unless set to 3G only will use LTE if the signal is usable and revert to 3G if needed and 1x if 3G fails too. I am not sure how it decides to pick which band it use if there is more than one connection of the same speed class.. LTE does sound like it is much better handing off to other connections that Wimax was, and I think its a bit smarter picking what connection to use, but i have yet to connect to LTE myself.

The iPhone 4S does not support CDMA1X 800 nor LTE at all.

AJ