Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Once the panels are up on a tower is the 800mhz channel operating and just requires access in your PRL? Or is the 800mhz channel activated later for any reason?

We've seen it many different ways. Not operating... operating on the right SID. Operating on the wrong SID, etc. They have to reconfigure the settings on the nextel sites not to use that frequency as well.

Legacy Nortel may be the same IP, but you still have different controllers and different switches. It may be smoother than say Nortel to Motorola(Which I personally know to be a real pain), but as far as I know, it's not a soft handoff, and still needs to be built properly.

I am almost certain that soft handoff can be accomplished across two different MSCs, as Sprint (in my Ericsson/Nortel market) appears to support soft handoff across NID boundaries, with different NIDs connected to different MSCs. But, as you say, that soft handoff is not automatic. The MSCs have to be interconnected, and the MSC vendors may have to be the same.

AJ

I am almost certain that soft handoff can be accomplished across two different MSCs, as Sprint (in my Ericsson/Nortel market) appears to support soft handoff across NID boundaries, with different NIDs connected to different MSCs. But, as you say, that soft handoff is not automatic. The MSCs have to be interconnected, and the MSC vendors may have to be the same.

AJ

I believe a "softer" handoff between MSCs is possible if the MSC and BSC types are the same, as some MSOs have multiple MSCs in them, and they need to work seamlessly.

I haven't had to optimize a HHO in a while, and when I did, I was the NFG driving loops on the highway in the drive test vehicle. I didn't get to sit in the switch and change tables until much later, and by then software upgrades had made the process much easier... I'm more of a hardware guy anyways.

• Like 5

Thanks for the post. You just beat me to it. :tu:

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

I hate to ask one of those "have you heard about...." questions but, any chance a source has let slip any new info on the 800 LTE FITs?

• Like 1

I hate to ask one of those "have you heard about...." questions but, any chance a source has let slip any new info on the 800 LTE FITs?

Unfortunately, no.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

I am a bit afraid that the flagship phones by Samsung, HTC, LG and Motorola for 2013 might miss the necessary testing for the FCC needed to include those bands in the SGS4, HTC M7, LG Optimus G2 and the Motorola X phones. I surely hope I am wrong and that we do get to see tri band Sprint LTE phones this year for the flagship phones. I see no excuse for Sprint not to include 800/1900/2500 MHz LTE support this year for their phones. Having just the 1900 MHz G block for LTE support is just too limited going into 2013 especially with Sprint using Clearwire LTE in the near future and Sprint refarming 800 MHz spectrum for LTE starting 2H 2013.

I am a bit afraid that the flagship phones by Samsung, HTC, LG and Motorola for 2013 might miss the necessary testing for the FCC needed to include those bands in the SGS4, HTC M7, LG Optimus G2 and the Motorola X phones. I surely hope I am wrong and that we do get to see tri band Sprint LTE phones this year for the flagship phones. I see no excuse for Sprint not to include 800/1900/2500 MHz LTE support this year for their phones. Having just the 1900 MHz G block for LTE support is just too limited going into 2013 especially with Sprint using Clearwire LTE in the near future and Sprint refarming 800 MHz spectrum for LTE starting 2H 2013.

Last year, it was understandable for someone to buy an LTE 1900 device. But this year, it makes sense to wait for a tri-band or buy a used device to hold over for tri-band devices.

• Like 2

I'm probably just going to sell my EVO for half the price of a new phone and eat the rest of the cost. Its too hard to go two years on the same phone with the pace technology is progressing at.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

I'm probably just going to sell my EVO for half the price of a new phone and eat the rest of the cost. Its too hard to go two years on the same phone with the pace technology is progressing at.

this is what i plan on doing, kind of, with my s3, or wait until i have enough saved up for an lte 800 device (after some people have reviewed it, as i dont wanna get stuck with a crappy issue like i had with the evo lte)

By the time LTE 800 gets here I'm sure it will be pretty close to my upgrade and I'll be able to wait it out. That should give 6 months or so of you goons testing the phones out to see which phones are good and which phones have crap rf capabilities.

• Like 4

By the time LTE 800 gets here I'm sure it will be pretty close to my upgrade and I'll be able to wait it out. That should give 6 months or so of you goons testing the phones out to see which phones are good and which phones have crap rf capabilities.

If everything goes right, I will have my upgrade ready by Tuesday. But I'm going to hold off on using it until fall when the next batch of LTE phones are released.

• Like 1

They do the FCC testing in isolated facilities, not on public networks, so the LTE 800 FIT has no bearing on when capable phones can be brought to market. After all, Sprint has been selling phones with ESMR CDMA capability for nearly two years, even though no public network had ESMR CDMA live until recently.

I think most new devices from Q2/Q3 forward will probably have LTE and CDMA capability on ESMR and 1900, since those can easily be achieved with standard antennas calibrated for the PCS A-F and cellular bands. 2500/2600 may be less common and I think their inclusion depends on how much pressure Softbank puts on OEMs and how much deployment there is in band classes 7 & 41 around the world; it wouldn't surprise me if 2500/2600 only showed up in tablets, data-only devices (dongles and hotspots), and Note-size devices at first.

• Like 2

Last year, it was understandable for someone to buy an LTE 1900 device. But this year, it makes sense to wait for a tri-band or buy a used device to hold over for tri-band devices.

Especially since this year's devices will have next generation LTE chips which will further increase energy efficiency. Looking forward to the next EVO with a Snapdragon 800 chip in it :D

this is what i plan on doing, kind of, with my s3, or wait until i have enough saved up for an lte 800 device (after some people have reviewed it, as i dont wanna get stuck with a crappy issue like i had with the evo lte)

ill have 4 lines on my account due for upgrades in 192 days

I just canceled 2 of my lines and am hoping for my upgrade to move from my one line to my active line. :fingers:

If you guys are lucky enough to be in the same situation as me or if you have the ability to do so I would highly recommend it.

What I did was that I got the EVO 3D when it came out in 2011 then last year I added my mom to my plan and with that new line got the EVO LTE. I then transferred the numbers between the 2 phones so then my line was on the EVO LTE and she got my old EVO 3D. So now since I got my EVO 3D 2 years ago my line is due for its normal scheduled upgrade this April. Then I can use her upgrade next year and with each time I upgrade I would just hand down my previous phone to her and she would not mind since she would be getting new phone every year too. So its a win-win for both of us :tu:

• Like 1

Especially since this year's devices will have next generation LTE chips which will further increase energy efficiency. Looking forward to the next EVO with a Snapdragon 800 chip in it :D

If you guys are lucky enough to be in the same situation as me or if you have the ability to do so I would highly recommend it.

What I did was that I got the EVO 3D when it came out in 2011 then last year I added my mom to my plan and with that new line got the EVO LTE. I then transferred the numbers between the 2 phones so then my line was on the EVO LTE and she got my old EVO 3D. So now since I got my EVO 3D 2 years ago my line is due for its normal scheduled upgrade this April. Then I can use her upgrade next year and with each time I upgrade I would just hand down my previous phone to her and she would not mind since she would be getting new phone every year too. So its a win-win for both of us :tu:

I can't afford 2 lines on my account. And my upgrade didn't move over. :( Oh well. I'll just have to wait until January.

They do the FCC testing in isolated facilities' date=' not on public networks, so the LTE 800 FIT has no bearing on when capable phones can be brought to market. After all, Sprint has been selling phones with ESMR CDMA capability for nearly two years, even though no public network had ESMR CDMA live until recently.

I think most new devices from Q2/Q3 forward will probably have LTE and CDMA capability on ESMR and 1900, since those can easily be achieved with standard antennas calibrated for the PCS A-F and cellular bands. 2500/2600 may be less common and I think their inclusion depends on how much pressure Softbank puts on OEMs and how much deployment there is in band classes 7 & 41 around the world; it wouldn't surprise me if 2500/2600 only showed up in tablets, data-only devices (dongles and hotspots), and Note-size devices at first.[/quote']

Hopefully the next iPhone has 2500 Sprint really needs to offload that traffic off of pcs as much as possible!

Sent from phone

• Like 2

ill be using one of the upgrades on the account to get my next phone and hand mine off to someone in my family :P
  • Like 1

yeah there is an enormous amount of iPhone users. Getting 800Mhz LTE (and 2500/2600) would be a major help to Sprint. If they can get the next Evo, GS4 and iPhone 5S to have all of those... they're going to have a great head start on device penetration once their network vision is fully implemented. By that time, those will be the lower end of devices, but still incredibly popular in a couple years. Users would benefit immediately on network launches though, which basically makes it a win win. Hopefully they can make it happen in at least two of them.

• Like 1

This is what I do with my brother.

Hopefully the next iPhone has 2500 Sprint really needs to offload that traffic off of pcs as much as possible!

Sent from phone

I agree. Sprint needs to start offloading its traffic onto 2500 MHz as soon as possible. However with Clearwire only planning to deploy 2,000 sites nationwide over its current WiMAX network, I wouldn't expect to see much traffic on 2500 MHz until 2014. Once Sprint has full control of Clearwire, they will need to dramatically increase the number of TD-LTE tower deployments over 2500 MHz to many of its major traffic hotspots to offload more traffic. I would like to see at least half of Sprint's overall towers covered with TD-LTE.

• Like 1

I agree. Sprint needs to start offloading its traffic onto 2500 MHz as soon as possible. However with Clearwire only planning to deploy 2,000 sites nationwide over its current WiMAX network, I wouldn't expect to see much traffic on 2500 MHz until 2014. Once Sprint has full control of Clearwire, they will need to dramatically increase the number of TD-LTE tower deployments over 2500 MHz to many of its major traffic hotspots to offload more traffic. I would like to see at least half of Sprint's overall towers covered with TD-LTE.

And a new Airrave with 2500 TD-LTE!