Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

once you hit Milwaukee, 43 travels more E-W than N-S for quite a while, however, it didn't travel near the Madison area. He still most likely meant 94, which covers the entire span. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

actually, it only travels East - West for about 4 miles

regardless, you are correct..I am sure he meant to say I-94

or maybe was just referring to the brief East - West portion I mentioned above

who the heck knows...

The area he pointed out to me when I brought up the sponsor maps was the area east of 90/39, south of 94 and west of 94/41.

so as far as Milwaukee goes, this would cover the western and southern suburbs..very small portion of the actual city itself.

thank you for the clarification...I can close my mapquest page now...

I could not get a picture, because my wife doesn't care as much as I do, but Verona, WI has NV panels up on the water tower. Fact. We're close, boys.

Edit: Whoa, New Glarus Oktoberfest doing my typing....anyways the Verona tower has RRUs. I'll get picture tomorrow. New Glarus tower no upgrades yet. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

so as far as Milwaukee goes, this would cover the western and southern suburbs..very small portion of the actual city itself.

thank you for the clarification...I can close my mapquest page now...

Correct. The way he explained it to me was the outskirts need to be done so that way when we shut off the inside of the city the network will still be usable. If the process was done the other way around the network would be nonexistent. Which makes perfect sense and I'm sure it's been discussed before.

Was out in Palmyra earlier where I've never gotten good signal and usually roam inside of buildings.  Very usable 3G @ ~1.6Mbps and 1x800 with at least 3 bars showing on my S3... -90s for signal on signalcheck.

• Like 2

LTE in Sussex this morning... -115 signal, not sure which tower I'm hitting.  Got 108ms ping and 2Mbps with that signal, better than anything I've seen lately around here.  I'll have to drive around later to see where I get the strongest signal.

LTE in Sussex this morning... -115 signal, not sure which tower I'm hitting.  Got 108ms ping and 2Mbps with that signal, better than anything I've seen lately around here.  I'll have to drive around later to see where I get the strongest signal.

Hmmm, you only got 2mbps down? My guess is that the LTE was only on for testing then. Every time I've gotten consistent LTE it's been on average about 20mbps. 15 at the lowest. Though I haven't had much experience with it since I live within Milwaukee, so I very well could be wrong. 

Hmmm, you only got 2mbps down? My guess is that the LTE was only on for testing then. Every time I've gotten consistent LTE it's been on average about 20mbps. 15 at the lowest. Though I haven't had much experience with it since I live within Milwaukee, so I very well could be wrong. 

If he is picking up a fringe signal it can be that low.

Figured that was decent for that low of signal.  I meant that was the best I've seen for speeds in the Pewaukee, Sussex, Menomonee Falls, etc. areas lately, usually I'm getting less than 400k down, 200+ms pings.  There hasn't really been any NV tower upgrade activity around here other than a couple of Pewaukee towers that aren't live yet.  I usually get the same, ~20Mbps down in LTE areas when signal is higher than -100.

Only got LTE in the house this morning, so maybe conditions were right and I picked up Hartland or Waukesha.  There has been no activity on the tower closest to me.  I'll have to take a look at the water tower in Sussex later to see if there has been any upgrades there, though it's back in the woods and a little hard to see.

Was getting blips of 1x800 visiting Waunakee yesterday. They have no towers anywhere near them currently and none that are known to be broadcasting 1x800....so hopefully this is a sign of good things to come soon with 800SMR rollout in the Madison area. 

So I'll ask you guys here. It's time to get a new cellphone. I am looking at the iphone 5s. For the purposes of living in Wisconsin, does it practically matter that it's not triband? I know it has 800 LTE, which helps penetrate buildings. Does not having the 2600(?) band matter if you are not living in a big city? What I'm asking is over the next year or two, but most likely one, will I even notice the phone is not triband? I'll probably wait to see what the Nexus offers when it's announced before pulling the trigger on anything though.

So I'll ask you guys here. It's time to get a new cellphone. I am looking at the iphone 5s. For the purposes of living in Wisconsin, does it practically matter that it's not triband? I know it has 800 LTE, which helps penetrate buildings. Does not having the 2600(?) band matter if you are not living in a big city? What I'm asking is over the next year or two, but most likely one, will I even notice the phone is not triband? I'll probably wait to see what the Nexus offers when it's announced before pulling the trigger on anything though.

If that's the way you get down (with Apple products coming from Apple products), then it's a solid choice. You're right in that the important part is the 800LTE, after that, 2600 won't matter much. Especially in the upcoming year. Perhaps in several years when LTE advanced in launched? Unless someone wants to correct that.

And luckily the NSA will already have your fingerprint! So you won't need to go to a NSA fingerprint station in your city......just kidding, the 5S appears to be a great piece of tech. I'm an Android man myself, looking at my list of devices, but I do think they make great hardware. Just tiny screens.

For all practical purposes, in SE Wisconsin, the iPhone 5s will likely meet your needs.  LTE 2500/2600 will not be available near you until sometime next year, and LTE 800 (which should be available sooner) and 1900 should provide good connectivity and adequate speeds.

If that's the way you get down (with Apple products coming from Apple products), then it's a solid choice. You're right in that the important part is the 800LTE, after that, 2600 won't matter much. Especially in the upcoming year. Perhaps in several years when LTE advanced in launched? Unless someone wants to correct that.

And luckily the NSA will already have your fingerprint! So you won't need to go to a NSA fingerprint station in your city......just kidding, the 5S appears to be a great piece of tech. I'm an Android man myself, looking at my list of devices, but I do think they make great hardware. Just tiny screens.

Just like tommy said as I was writing my reply lol. 2600 isn't that big of a deal for people in smaller cities, it only helps in big events and big cities like Chicago for example. Also sprint is starting to get in das systems at sporting events and put in more micro cells and double density cell sites. Honestly if you like the iphone 5s/5c go for it, the big key like everyone said is the 800 LTE

So I think my LTE this morning at home was just the right conditions to carry the signal here from one of the further out towers.  Also was over by the tower at WCTC today for a few minutes and maintained an LTE connection in the -100s.  Either that tower was on really low power, or I could have been picking something up from Waukesha, Delafield, Oconomowoc or Hartland... was able to get a 7-8Mbps down speed test.

I wonder if Sprint is working on stuff on the East side of Madison.  I had LTE in Sun Prairie, but no horrible 3g (speeds around 200).  Usually when I see speeds like that, work is being done on the towers.  Anyone have the skinny?

I wonder if Sprint is working on stuff on the East side of Madison.  I had LTE in Sun Prairie, but no horrible 3g (speeds around 200).  Usually when I see speeds like that, work is being done on the towers.  Anyone have the skinny?

I was having 3g speed issues here off american parkway yesterday as well.  been keeping an eye on park bank but still not seeing anything...

Lunching down on State Street and I came to the realization that I mislabeled Sprint NV work from before (they were actually T-mobile panels).  Now, for certain, the Sprint tower on the apt building near the bottom of State Street has NV panels on them.  It's already marked as in progress on the Sponsor map, so no need for that clarification. Only had my GS4 with me (zoomed in 4x) and it was fighting a lot of shadows.  Therefore the picture sucks, but clearly NV and RRUs present, using the short/fat antenna setup.  Man, something has to give soon.  This is sure exciting to think the whole city could light up at one time! 

QvJXmEZ.jpg

With Fitchburg being tested last week I wouldn't be surprised to see more work going on surrounding Madison that will work it's way in.

Where in Fitchburg?  Irish Ln tower?  The Fitchburg tower by me (seminole and PD) has ropes only on the tower that were put up last Thursday and no new equipment as of this AM.  I was by the Irish Ln tower a couple weeks ago and there was nothing there.  If you have detailed information, just give us a little nugget.  Or do it over on the Sponsor side.  Somethin' man!