Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

this isn't true. Onc has been down for about 2 weeks now and the site that I reported to forum before it is going on 6 weeks! It came back then went out again shortly after.

where is the site? cross street or cascade ID?

where is the site? cross street or cascade ID?

234th st and Broadway is one. University and 181st is another cross street.

I believe Sprint officially turned on 8T8R's at her home in Old Mill Basin. Her house is covered by two Sprint sites, two of them are within two blocks of each other. All of them had Band 25 and Band 26 but speeds quickly declined on both because of the 5 apartment buildings in the area. Band 25 was at -75dbm and Band 26 was at -65dbm and speeds capped at around 4Mbps. There was a Clear Band 41 site but it had insufficient backhaul. Speeds capped at around 8Mbps at all times, on and off peak on Band 41. 

Today I went to her house because she was having a Christmas party, I decided to test the network and I noticed that pings ranged from 27ms to 30ms. This was really low which surprised me. Speeds were about 21Mbps down and 12 up. Initially, I thought it was that they increased backhaul. However, upon checking my engineering screens, I saw that the GCI was similar to the Band 25/26 GCI.

Sprint has officially activated all three bands in the Old Mill Basin area of Brooklyn!

• Like 3

Went to the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium today. It was a sold out stadium with over 49,000 in attendance. I remember years ago when Clear was building out WiMax they talked about how they had set up numerous sites around the entire stadium to give usable data speeds. My guess is that Sprint/Clear has already upgraded those sites as my experience was spectacular.

Verizon's 700MHz network was swamped. One of my friends sent us 3 pictures we took early in the game before everyone arrived and it took until the end of the first quarter for her to receive them. I received the 3 photos within seconds of them being sent which is pretty great and another friend using an iPhone 6 on Verizon's (what I assume is their AWS network) received the photos a few seconds after me. AT&T worked well and held up to their pretty stupid claim of having the strongest LTE signal on average. The kid next to me had full bars and seemed to be cruising along pretty well.

Speeds on Clearwire Band 41 were 5Mbps at it's fastest and 350kbps at it's slowest with the average being around 3.6Mbps throughout the whole game. That was great for Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, and Google+ with no hiccups.

• Like 1

I have a question. I've gotten B41 a couple times since I got my iPhone 6, my speeds are always slow. 4-5mb on B41. I think that's a little weird, is it because backhaul isn't installed or is it my phone.

Sent from my shiny new Space Grey iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I have a question. I've gotten B41 a couple times since I got my iPhone 6, my speeds are always slow. 4-5mb on B41. I think that's a little weird, is it because backhaul isn't installed or is it my phone.

More than likely antiquated Clear microwave backhaul. It's not uncommon. However, I've found fiber backhaul to be way more common in the city than not. Also, you could be part of the reason why it's slow and not know it. The iPhone 6/6+ launch has reduced speeds on Band 41 in some areas though not to the point where it is unusable.

Edit: You should probably update your Phones/Devices to say that you own an iPhone 6.

The iPhone 6/6+ launch has reduced speeds on Band 41 in some areas though not to the point where it is unusable.

Edit. Sorry, thought you said the iPhone has reduced speeds, as in the device itself is seeing slower speeds. 

You mean the iPhone 6 launch has cause speeds in some areas to decrease because more devices are using Band 41.

• Like 2

What do you mean? Evidence? I haven't seen anyone make that claim before.

My speeds in general on Band 41 have declined slightly but not by much and I'm sure that others in this thread would say the same thing too. In my travels speeds used to be 40-50Mbps on average. Now they hover around 30Mbps with a few here and there capable of hitting 60-70Mbps. As I said, it's a little drop that's not noticeable in every day activity but it is if you look at the raw data.

My speeds in general on Band 41 have declined slightly but not by much and I'm sure that others in this thread would say the same thing too. In my travels speeds used to be 40-50Mbps on average. Now they hover around 30Mbps with a few here and there capable of hitting 60-70Mbps. As I said, it's a little drop that's not noticeable in every day activity but it is if you look at the raw data.

See edit.

More than likely antiquated Clear microwave backhaul. It's not uncommon. However, I've found fiber backhaul to be way more common in the city than not. Also, you could be part of the reason why it's slow and not know it. The iPhone 6/6+ launch has reduced speeds on Band 41 in some areas though not to the point where it is unusable.

Edit: You should probably update your Phones/Devices to say that you own an iPhone 6.

I did, Sprint knows I own an iPhone 6,

Edit: wait what exactly do you mean "update my phones so Sprint knows I have a 6." Wouldn't Sprint know anyways, I didn't buy the phone from the Sprint store & when I go online the phone that's attached to my number is an iPhone 6 so I'm confused"

Edited by IsaiahL

I did, Sprint knows I own an iPhone 6,

Edit: wait what exactly do you mean "update my phones so Sprint knows I have a 6." Wouldn't Sprint know anyways, I didn't buy the phone from the Sprint store & when I go online the phone that's attached to my number is an iPhone 6 so I'm confused"

He means your profile on S4GRU, it still says you have an iPhone 5. ;)

• Like 2

I do believe Sprint is doing some sort of artificial throttling on B41 sites. For a short period of time I was averaging btwn 4-8mbs, then they enabled another B41 site and all of a sudden my speeds were back to normal 20-30mbs.

Right now my speeds seem capped at about 8mbs only on certain sites. 

Maybe shared backhaul? Definitely no longer a congested site, so could be optimizations going on. Hopefully MIMO/CA testing.

• Like 2

I do believe Sprint is doing some sort of artificial throttling on B41 sites. For a short period of time I was averaging btwn 4-8mbs, then they enabled another B41 site and all of a sudden my speeds were back to normal 20-30mbs.

Right now my speeds seem capped at about 8mbs only on certain sites.

Maybe shared backhaul? Definitely no longer a congested site, so could be optimizations going on. Hopefully MIMO/CA testing.

I believe that too... recently when connected to b41 I don't hit over 5 mbps but I used to always hit over 15mbps easily. This happens for both my work place and at home. All clear sites according to SCP
  • Like 2

Gee.... what's that I see??

2014-12-29_17-20-11.png

I'm not on the website guy. Tapatalk search sucks. You did all of that work you could've just linked it.