Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I was with a friend in Brooklyn (near the Verrazano Bridge) on Tuesday and she is with Sprint on an iPhone 6 and she was connected to Band 41 and when I ran a speed test, her ping was 159ms with 5.59 down and 5.15 up.

About 2 months ago in the same location, her ping was about 19ms with 60 down and 40 up.

What happened?

• Like 1

I was with a friend in Brooklyn (near the Verrazano Bridge) on Tuesday and she is with Sprint on an iPhone 6 and she was connected to Band 41 and when I ran a speed test, her ping was 159ms with 5.59 down and 5.15 up.

About 2 months ago in the same location, her ping was about 19ms with 60 down and 40 up.

What happened?

Testing and tuning,

Speeds usually return after a couple weeks..

When sites are running slower than usual, speeds seem to artificially max between between 5 and 8mbs..

Testing and tuning,

Speeds usually return after a couple weeks..

When sites are running slower than usual, speeds seem to artificially max between between 5 and 8mbs..

Ah I now I understand. I'm with at&t but I follow this website and any chance I get to do a speedtest on a friends phone and check what band they are on, I take.

Another question, back in late October I believe it was, I was in Brooklyn again with the same friend and I turned off her LTE so I can test out 3G speeds and they were ridiculously slow. I thought NV was suppose to bring faster and improved 3G speeds. Again, this was on an iPhone 6.

It was around noon and speeds were about .17 down and 0.00 up.

Ah I now I understand. I'm with at&t but I follow this website and any chance I get to do a speedtest on a friends phone and check what band they are on, I take.

I got my buddy on my account free one year from ATT, he got fed up of 5GB limit then throttled. He was on the unlimited grandfathered plan.

I realized a couple of months ago that he was actually being throttled, initially we just thought ATT speeds were becoming unusable, but then we noticed a pattern, every time his billing period was restarted his speeds were between 5-15mbs, then after 5GB it would be .5mbs max.

I got my buddy on my account free one year from ATT, he got fed up of 5GB limit then throttled. He was on the unlimited grandfathered plan.

I realized a couple of months ago that he was actually being throttled, initially we just thought ATT speeds became unusable.

I can't complain about at&t, it has been great for me. I only get 3gb of data which is the sucky part but in terms of speeds and service, can't complain.

I was with Sprint a few years back and I want to switch back but I want to hold off a little longer until they complete their entire rollout.

I can't complain about at&t, it has been great for me. I only get 3gb of data which is the sucky part but in terms of speeds and service, can't complain.

I was with Sprint a few years back and I want to switch back but I want to hold off a little longer until they complete their entire rollout.

I can tell you that for the most part in NYC sprint is pretty great, and its only getting better by the day..

and so far its been about 3 weeks and my buddy is extremely happy making the switch.

I can tell you that for the most part in NYC sprint is pretty great, and its only getting better by the day..

and so far its been about 3 weeks and my buddy is extremely happy making the switch.

I have noticed. When I was with my friend in Brooklyn and two months ago I was seeing those super fast speeds, I was ready to make the switch then but I have still been hesitant in doing so and then on Tuesday when I saw those slow speeds, It discouraged me but now I understand why.

I'm not under contract with At&t so I can make the switch whenever but I want to wait for the entire rollout to be complete for Band 26 and Band 41.

I know Band 25 can be slow at times but in NJ around Lodi my friend was getting 25 down on Band 25 and we were streaming an episode of house of cards and it played straight through without buffering. I was very impressed. Note that this was on an HTC One M7 that only has Band 25 capability.

Same friend also went to CT to visit family and we streamed another episode and it played the entire way but it did buffer a few times but just for a few seconds. I couldn't believe how much Sprint has improved.

• Like 3

I have noticed. When I was with my friend in Brooklyn and two months ago I was seeing those super fast speeds, I was ready to make the switch then but I have still been hesitant in doing so and then on Tuesday when I saw those slow speeds, It discouraged me but now I understand why.

I'm not under contract with At&t so I can make the switch whenever but I want to wait for the entire rollout to be complete for Band 26 and Band 41.

I know Band 25 can be slow at times but in NJ around Lodi my friend was getting 25 down on Band 25 and we were streaming an episode of house of cards and it played straight through without buffering. I was very impressed. Note that this was on an HTC One M7 that only has Band 25 capability.

Same friend also went to CT to visit family and we streamed another episode and it played the entire way but it did buffer a few times but just for a few seconds. I couldn't believe how much Sprint has improved.

If you had access to the full B41/26 maps, its pretty dense. 

Also, take note, Sprint's new B41 equipment is running in a kinda of "safe mode" for speeds and coverage. Only deployed 1 carrier so far. Soon they will add another plus enhance coverage with MIMO. It will be pretty epic..

• Like 1

If you had access to the full B41/26 maps, its pretty dense.

Also, take note, Sprint's new B41 equipment is running in a kinda of "safe mode" for speeds and coverage. Only deployed 1 carrier so far. Soon they will add another plus enhance coverage with MIMO. It will be pretty epic..

Could you explain what MIMO is and adding another carrier?

I can only imagine how better Sprint will get. Rebuilding takes time. People don't have the patience, I for one didn't but I can't wait to switch back.

I had t-mobile for 10 days and went to at&t. I didn't have service in my office and I'm there for the most part of my day which drained my battery. This was back with the iPhone 5 before the iPhone had wi-fi calling. I returned the phone, got my money back and jumped to at&t.

Could you explain what MIMO is and adding another carrier?

I can only imagine how better Sprint will get. Rebuilding takes time. People don't have the patience, I for one didn't but I can't wait to switch back.

I had t-mobile for 10 days and went to at&t. I didn't have service in my office and I'm there for the most part of my day which drained my battery. This was back with the iPhone 5 before the iPhone had wi-fi calling. I returned the phone, got my money back and jumped to at&t.

MIMO (currently set at 2x, but can max out at 8x) allows better coverage at the edge of the signal. So instead of the speed dying out, it will hang on to a higher average speed throughout the signal range, and in essence hold on to that signal further.

The carriers are the size of the spectrum deployed. 

B25 is 5x5Mhz carriers limited to 37.5mbs

B26 is the same

B41 is currently 20Mhz which max out around the 80mbs/17mbs range. But very very soon they are adding an additional 20Mhz (Since sprint has sooo much of this spectrum they can deploy a ton of it) Expect max throughput to double. 

All those nifty MIMO and Carrier Aggregation tricks are also part of LTE Advanced spec which is what Sprint is currently deploying at breakneck speeds on Band 41.

Very exciting stuff.

Cool stuff here 

• Like 4

MIMO (currently set at 2x, but can max out at 8x) allows better coverage at the edge of the signal. So instead of the speed dying out, it will hang on to a higher average speed throughout the signal range, and in essence hold on to that signal further.

The carriers are the size of the spectrum deployed.

B25 is 5x5Mhz carriers limited to 37.5mbs

B26 is the same

B41 is currently 20Mhz which max out around the 80mbs/17mbs range. But very very soon they are adding an additional 20Mhz (Since sprint has sooo much of this spectrum they can deploy a ton of it) Expect max throughput to double.

All those nifty MIMO and Carrier Aggregation tricks are also part of LTE Advanced spec which is what Sprint is currently deploying at breakneck speeds on Band 41.

Very exciting stuff.

Cool stuff here

Wow very interesting. I will probably wait for the new iPhone to come out later this year to switch but can't wait to see what Sprint does this year in 2015.

• Like 1

So my SO was tethering watching Netflix and noticed that it loaded much faster than normal. Usually not the one to speed test. This was anomallly and decided to run one. What came up was enough to prompt a phone call too me and sent screen shot. Which I found amusing. I asked if it was repeatable and didn't appear to be the case. But one for the records none the less.

download_20150117_113800_1.jpg

• Like 5

So my SO was tethering watching Netflix and noticed that it loaded much faster than normal. Usually not the one to speed test. This was anomallly and decided to run one. What came up was enough to prompt a phone call too me and sent screen shot. Which I found amusing. I asked if it was repeatable and didn't appear to be the case. But one for the records none the less.

This is the second time in a month someone has reported a ridiculously fast speed test like this. 

• Like 3

This is the second time in a month someone has reported a ridiculously fast speed test like this. 

I was just about to say this. I think Sprint is playing around with Band 41 in several cities thtoughout the nation. Perhaps in preparation for carrier aggregation and MIMO changes. Hopefully this is a sign of the next step in Network Vision.

• Like 2

I got one of these the other day, too. Not quite as high, around 110mbps.

It happened on a Clear B41 site.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I got one of these the other day, too. Not quite as high, around 110mbps.

It happened on a Clear B41 site.

This was a clear site as well. This site in particular I've had to report for being down numerous times. Almost 2 months of intermittent operation, more down than up. So its even more amusing to see such a throughput.

None and these speed tests are wrong.

I agree, which is why I never posted about it until now. I just threw it out there for fun.

My 110mbps speed test has unusually slow upload speeds, I was thinking maybe Sprint changed the TDD ratio or something got screwed up.

I realized a couple of months ago that he was actually being throttled, initially we just thought ATT speeds were becoming unusable, but then we noticed a pattern, every time his billing period was restarted his speeds were between 5-15mbs, then after 5GB it would be .5mbs max.

AT&T's throttled speeds on the grandfathered unlimited plan are something like 128kbps, it should be obvious if he was hitting the cap and being throttled.