Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Sprint, Google, NYPL Offering Free High-Speed Internet To 10,000 Low-Income Households

http://gothamist.com/2014/12/02/google_nypl_offering_free_wifi_to_1.php

You know, speaking of that, I find it interesting that the article states

"The ultimate goal is to get some 10,000 families online, according to the city. A noble effort, sure, but official estimates say that over 30 percent of Gotham residents are without broadband access. With a population over 8 million strong, that still leaves almost 3 million people without internet"

That is alot of people. I wonder how much of a load that would be on any of the carriers, especially Sprint since the hotspots are theirs.

TS

• Like 1

First blips of band 26 in my hometown of Tottenville, Staten Island! Finally! It's still pretty weak as it doesn't exactly reach out a mile yet, and allows band 25 to penetrate my house. Then again, I live LITERALLY in throwing distance of the tower. Hoping they optimize the tower and turn band 26's range up, love to see this place coated in LTE.

In other news, had some problems w/ band 41 in midtown the other day at my college. The problem seemed to resolve itself though, despite the fact I opened a ticket for it and haven't heard anything about repairs. Maybe this was a Clear site acting up?

How is it possible that on Jamaica Avenue near Parsons Blvd there is LTE, but the minute you step into the Sprint store in that location, LTE dies a quick death. lol 

TS

Sprint store at Flatiron Building is the same - this is because the 23rd street station right underneath the store has LTE provided by Transitwireless, so the phone loses all services trying to connect to that; it's really sad lol

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6673-nationwide-clear-outage-band-41-lte/

Here is a link to the thread I created on the Clear sites being down.

My tower is back online. I talk some rep yesterday morning and he knew about the outage and told me that was a bad coding. The others reps just pin point my location, this guy even knew the tower, gave me the address and when the was maintenance done,he reported to the engineer department and told me again to give them 72 hours should be fixed.

e73e5815792267d51506b0c1675bd5ab.jpg

• Like 6

How is it possible that on Jamaica Avenue near Parsons Blvd there is LTE, but the minute you step into the Sprint store in that location, LTE dies a quick death. lol

TS

Still? I bought my phone there a year ago, no LTE inside, but it appeared once I got towards Old Navy. I remember my entire trip home being LTE-less though.

Hit three new 8t8r sites , from 65th street 5th ave all the way down to 50th and 6th.  Awesome to pick up some B41 while waiting on the longest street meat line of all time Halal Guys. Best Halal in NYC for sure.

Were any of these in the vicinity of the clear sites that were acting up?

so I got off the train today at Wall Street and I'm in front of my building and look at what I picked up an 8T8R tower went live.

Screenshot_2014-12-06-10-47-55.png

Screenshot_2014-12-06-10-48-07.png

• Like 6

Speed was just under 30 Mbps down

it seems to be coming from a brand new site because it didn't show up in any of my site notes.

Screenshot_2014-12-06-10-48-25.png

• Like 2

I've tested most of the clear sites that went down today and they are all back up and some more 8t8r. Performance today has been extremely impressive.

What are the speeds like coming from an 8T8R site?

Average between 25-40mbs tops out around 75mbs...

Thanks. I'd also like to know how far those speeds reach, if you'd like to, or someone else would like to reciprocate on that.

Thanks. I'd also like to know how far those speeds reach, if you'd like to, or someone else would like to reciprocate on that.

In NYC, its almost everywhere, the B41 network is very dense. I tend to hold B41 90% of the time moving all over NYC.

Too many variables to say distance from one particular tower, but more or less about 70% of a B25 site covers.

EDIT: OH, speeds!? That's EZ, 80mbs is just about the highest possible with a non CA device. Currently only the Note Edge supports Sprint CA cable of peak's around 150mbs. After Sprint turns on the 3rd carrier (sometime next year) expect peak speeds of just above 200mbs.

In NYC, its almost everywhere, the B41 network is very dense. I tend to hold B41 90% of the time moving all over NYC.

Too many variables to say distance from one particular tower, but more or less about 70% of a B25 site covers.

EDIT: OH, speeds!? That's EZ, 80mbs is just about the highest possible with a non CA device. Currently only the Note Edge supports Sprint CA cable of peak's around 150mbs. After Sprint turns on the 3rd carrier (sometime next year) expect peak speeds of just above 200mbs.

80Mbps for now. Increasing backhaul as well as the activation of 4x2 MIMO on 8T8R sites should raise that peak speed up by the end of the year. The 2nd carrier will do more than help those with CA devices.

• Like 2

80Mbps for now. Increasing backhaul as well as the activation of 4x2 MIMO on 8T8R sites should raise that peak speed up by the end of the year. The 2nd carrier will do more than help those with CA devices.

I saw 50Mbps down at an 8T8R site 2 months ago, but now it sits regularly at 20Mbps, still band 41. FIT testing perhaps?