Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Does anyone know why I am getting the little "o" which represents 1x almost everywhere I'm going. I have LTE in my area and lately I'm having a problem with 3G and LTE. Anyone else experiencing this in Brooklyn?

Ughh I hate that little "o" it pisses me off. Thank god on iOS 7 they changed it to say 1x, but uhh isn't BK Launched already shouldn't all the LTE towers be online & stuff.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Ughh I hate that little "o" it pisses me off. Thank god on iOS 7 they changed it to say 1x, but uhh isn't BK Launched already shouldn't all the LTE towers be online & stuff.

Unfortunately I don't think it's completely on at all yet. Actually it seemed better before the official launch. Like I said I have been getting 1x a lot. Not sure what's been causing that. Very annoyed now.

How's the progress been in and around the NYC area for you guys?

Was in Chelsea area last night, Had very good LTE, between 6-20mb down, then went indoors lost LTE, But, indoor 3G was very impressive 1.5-2.0mb down really low pings.

• Like 3

The 3G part of NV has definitely gotten a whole lot better in numerous places, as for LTE, a lot of work still needs to be done.

In some parts of brooklyn it seems to have gone down hill and in other areas it has improved while in other areas there has been no change at all. It's a complete mixed bag. The mixed bag isn't really that annoying, but it seems that transitioning between 3g and 4g ends up in 1x for a couple of minutes. This has me a little concerned when Sprint will be running so many bands of LTE. How will the transitioning between bands be? smooth (hopefully) or will it be a stuttering inconsistent mess?

• Like 1

In some parts of brooklyn it seems to have gone down hill and in other areas it has improved while in other areas there has been no change at all. It's a complete mixed bag. The mixed bag isn't really that annoying, but it seems that transitioning between 3g and 4g ends up in 1x for a couple of minutes. This has me a little concerned when Sprint will be running so many bands of LTE. How will the transitioning between bands be? smooth (hopefully) or will it be a stuttering inconsistent mess?

Yes NYC is a big mess now and sprint made a mistake by making if official. I think sprint felt that its falling behind the other carriers as in LTE (city announcements) coverage area and they made the announcement way earlier then they should have. I really think they should've done boro by boro until its complete. Yes you would have people complaining when is my area coming etc, but at least the boro that would be complete would have people praising the service and make others look forward to something exciting and reliable.

Edited by LTEBrooklyn
  • Like 1

Yes NYC is a big mess now and sprint made a mistake by making if official. I think sprint felt that its falling behind the other carriers as in LTE (city announcements) coverage area and they made the announcement way earlier then they should have. I really think they should've done boro by boro until its complete. Yes you would have people complaining when is my area coming etc, but at least the boro that would be complete would have people praising the service and make others look forward to something exciting and reliable.

I think in practice this sounds nice and dandy, but so many unforeseen roadblocks like weather, permits and again backhaul, would probably cause unnecessary delays, and in the end piss off more people. But, I believe your right in that sprint felt the pressure from the other carriers and forced them to launch in smaller pockets.

I think in practice this sounds nice and dandy, but so many unforeseen roadblocks like weather, permits and again backhaul, would probably cause unnecessary delays, and in the end piss off more people. But, I believe your right in that sprint felt the pressure from the other carriers and forced them to launch in smaller pockets.

Ignore my comment above, I just realized you mentioned "launched" Sprint did say they will launch when at 40% POP. That might be a bit overzealous for a place like NYC and a bit too low.

Edited by nexgencpu
  • Like 1

Ignore my comment above, I just realized you mentioned "launched" Sprint did say they will launch when at 40% POP. That might be a bit overzealous for a place like NYC and a bit too low.

If 40% is what they said, then I definitely agree its 40% done in those 2 Boros. So far away from the whole NYC being complete. To be realistic, I would say next summer.

Edited by LTEBrooklyn

If 40% is what they said, then I definitely agree its 40% done in those 2 Boros. So far away from the whole NYC being complete. To be realistic, I would say next summer.

-_- Next Summer you don't even think the end of the year. :( Next summer is so far away *breaks down in tears*

-_- Next Summer you don't even think the end of the year. :( Next summer is so far away *breaks down in tears*

That isn't unreasonable to assume a next summer completion, but NYC does have live 2500 sites, and also adding 800 LTE will greatly improve coverage even without adding any additional upgraded sites. 

Edited by nexgencpu
  • Like 1

I don't think that assumption is incorrect. I think that a mid-2014 completion of NV in NYC is probable. NYC probably has the most towers of any other market in the U.S. Hopefully we don't see any further delays because of another Sandy like incident.

• Like 2

I don't think that assumption is incorrect. I think that a mid-2014 completion of NV in NYC is probable. NYC probably has the most towers of any other market in the U.S. Hopefully we don't see any further delays because of another Sandy like incident.

Well now they are doing 2 things at the same time. 800 deployment and NV. If 800,1900,2500 are done by next summer with NYC, watch out VERIZON!

• Like 1

That isn't unreasonable to assume a next summer completion, but NYC does have live 2500 sites, and also adding 800 LTE will greatly improve coverage even without adding any additional upgraded sites. 

NYC has way more sites than any other Sprint market. It stands to reason it will take longer than most other markets. It's possible, well, likely that there will be working ongoing into next year.

But, the majority should be complete by the end of this year, especially with 800 1x and LTE deployment kicking into gear. 

• Like 1

I was helping my sister in upper Manhattan with her phone. She can barely make calls and gets texts in her apartment for the last 5 days. She had great lte prior. She lives right across the street from an lte tower. So I made her download signal check. Lte signal is great. But her 1x kept fluctuating. She even picked up 1x800 while I was on Skype with her. All this to say that 800 is active somewhere in Inwood and/or Washington Heights. I told her to be patient and all will be well soon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

Legacy towers are starting to speed up. There is a tower near my home that used to get sub-10kbps speeds and pings over 4,000ms. Because the towers around it got updated to LTE, the ping is below 100ms and the speeds are from 200 to 600kbps. Suprisingly usable for internet.

I know what you mean.  I live across the street from a legacy tower that doesn't appear to be upgraded, and suddenly I'm getting pings under 100ms and download speeds between 600k and 1.2Mb.  Quite a happy change.

• Like 2

I did briefly pick up 800 in the basement of the school I work at today.  It switched back to 1900 quickly (which is surprising considering 1900 barely comes in down there).  I work near Tremont/3rd in the Bronx, so somewhere mid to west Bronx there is a tower broadcasting it.  We've got a giant hill on the other side of the street so it's safe to say the signal is not coming from that direction.

• Like 1

So, i had some more 1x 800 sites this past week while loading the 34010 sponsor PR. The 8th Ave site i connected to near the Port Authority bus terminal. The Nelson St site I was in my car near the BQE north of the Prospect expwy exit. The 2nd Ave in BK site was at the Ikea. The remaining queens sites I can't recall, one was in maspeth, the other on Queens Blvd near the BQE. I also ran a speedtest on the 8th Ave site, but I am having issues getting it to upload to imgur. Ill post it later. 

QhXueqG.pngfw1sGtY.pngLvEce4m.png2aMnwdA.pngzNpJ4jh.png

• Like 2

1x800 is just that. 1x. 800 LTE will give a bit more speed though ;)

Just to clarify so others aren't confused.

Hey digi, which PRL would prioritize 1x 800 for voice and still keep me on LTE, especially since there seems to be a big influx of 1x 800 sites up and running in NYC, would probably be reasonably stable.

Hey digi, which PRL would prioritize 1x 800 for voice and still keep me on LTE, especially since there seems to be a big influx of 1x 800 sites up and running in NYC, would probably be reasonably stable.

I'm pretty sure u can be on 800 voice and 1900 LTE at the same time. When u have 800 voice and LTE on, likely when u make a call, your bars level on phone will be high, but as soon as u hang up, the phone will reflect the LTE signal