Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I believe I just witnessed 1x 800 in Jamaica, I dialed *3001#12345#* while in an elevator and the "Rx0 Band Class" read 800 MHz cellular band.

Upon exiting the elevator, it immediately returned back to "1.8 to 2.0 MHz PCS Band".

I believe I just witnessed 1x 800 in Jamaica, I dialed *3001#12345#* while in an elevator and the "Rx0 Band Class" read 800 MHz cellular band.

Upon exiting the elevator, it immediately returned back to "1.8 to 2.0 MHz PCS Band".

Sorry, iPhone 4S doesn't have the 800 SMR band. What you saw was roaming on the 850 Cellular band (in other words, Verizon).

• Like 1

Sorry, iPhone 4S doesn't have the 800 SMR band. What you saw was roaming on the 850 Cellular band (in other words, Verizon).

Roaming was my first thought but my phone still read "Sprint" at the top as opposed to "Extended", and I was confused as to why it read "cellular" instead of "SMR". Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know Verizon occupied that band.

Roaming was my first thought but my phone still read "Sprint" at the top as opposed to "Extended", and I was confused as to why it read "cellular" instead of "SMR". Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know Verizon occupied that band.

That's how they have such good coverage. It's one of the annoying things that Apple has done, labeling the 850 Cellular band as 800. It's possible that you weren't on the band long enough for the phone to start saying roaming, or 'Extended" is it?

I can definitely confirm there is 1x 800 live in the city. It is sporadic, and most likely not very stable as it does travel far. I will post screenshots from SignalCheck that I took. I was using PRL 34010, but it proved unstable with the 800 MHz signal coming from very far away and it being heavily burdened. In Great Neck, Long Island, I was getting 1x 800 from the Bronx, going from the Fordham Rd Tower to the Jerome Ave one. I also was connecting to 65th Ave in Queens. At home in North Brooklyn, specifically Greenpoint, I was connecting to the Harmon St tower. Voice quality on 800 MHz was poor, I missed calls thanks to PRL 34010. 

ISM1EPH.pngcLkyofn.png

zUS82y8.pngAS242Xk.png

• Like 1

I can definitely confirm there is 1x 800 live in the city. It is sporadic, and most likely not very stable as it does travel far. I will post screenshots from SignalCheck that I took. I was using PRL 34010, but it proved unstable with the 800 MHz signal coming from very far away and it being heavily burdened. In Great Neck, Long Island, I was getting 1x 800 from the Bronx, going from the Fordham Rd Tower to the Jerome Ave one. I also was connecting to 65th Ave in Queens. At home in North Brooklyn, specifically Greenpoint, I was connecting to the Harmon St tower. Voice quality on 800 MHz was poor, I missed calls thanks to PRL 34010. 

ISM1EPH.pngcLkyofn.png

zUS82y8.pngAS242Xk.png

That is awesome to see these sites finally coming online, but it seems that the PRL is forcing 800 priority over signal quality on 1900. Your signal strength numbers are not very good. Also, you mentioned that the sites were burdened, I seriously doubt that any of these sites are overburdened. I think it has alot more to do with signal strength, or the lack thereof in your case. I find any Voice signal over 90dBm is pushing the limits.  

That is awesome to see these sites finally coming online, but it seems that the PRL is forcing 800 priority over signal quality on 1900. Your signal strength numbers are not very good. Also, you mentioned that the sites were burdened, I seriously doubt that any of these sites are overburdened. I think it has alot more to do with signal strength, or the lack thereof in your case. I find any Voice signal over 90dBm is pushing the limits.

And to think I use 90 to 100 signals all the time.

And to think I use 90 to 100 signals all the time.

PRL's were mentioned, the man with the master plan is here! What kind of voice quality do you get with 90-100dBm? because mid 90's+ on voice...not fun for me.

Edited by nexgencpu

If they were testing it might have been very brief.  I think one of the issues in NYC is that we have very tight cell spacing so getting a weak 1900 signal is pretty rare unless you're in a basement or deep in a building.  I was at Randall's Island on Saturday at a softball game and had line of sight to the tower originally posted as 800, but couldn't connect, but also had -60ish of a signal strength on 1900.

That being said, my friend and I decided to ride the Staten Island Ferry last night to enjoy the weather.  She didn't know it, but it was also to see if I could get an 800 signal, since in the middle of the harbor signals are all over the place.  My signal bounced between Bayonne, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and lower Manhattan.  Sadly, no matter how much I cycled, no 800.

Or you're in Sunnyside, Queens, where you have pre-war brick buildings on every block, and unless you sit on the tower, you have poor signal. 

That's been my biggest pet peeve about that area, the lack of building penetration.

Or you're in Sunnyside, Queens, where you have pre-war brick buildings on every block, and unless you sit on the tower, you have poor signal. 

That's been my biggest pet peeve about that area, the lack of building penetration.

agree. any residential building that is 60+ years old has really poor penetration for sprint. i live on the top floor and before NV upgrades, I had 1-2 bars or none. now I have 5 bars with great 3g and 4g speed. 

PRL's were mentioned, the man with the master plan is here! What kind of voice quality do you get with 90-100dBm? because mid 90's+ on voice...not fun for me.

Voice is usable up to around -105 or so at least on the PCS band.

Try a 114 year old Brownstone! The only reason I don't compain about my connection is because the windows are huge. By my window I get full bars. In the middle of my house I get 1 bar.

True, good points all around.  I guess I luck out more living within a block of a tower.  I'm in a 109 year old building but get a good signal throughout it.  Where I work, that's a different story.  On the first floor and basement, no service, and I can't wait for 800, nor can my coworkers.

That's the challenge, and I argue with everyone that the only reason why T-Mobile is better in some spots is due to tower density and location.

I agree 100%. Whenever someone has a better signal than me on T-Mobile, I just explain to them that their tower just happens to be closer than mine. There are literally almost 0 reasons why that is not the case. At least on AT&T or Verizon it could be due to their lower band spectrum.

• Like 3

I'm in the bx, I have yet to connect to an 800 site...

Maybe the OP was a troll?

Unlikely. Well, hopefully. Sprint is starting to turn on 800. It was probably a testing phase, or was isolated to a couple of sites. People in KC have started randomly connecting to 800. It doesn't seem to be consistent there yet either, as I didn't connect while I was there, but others did.

Unlikely. Well, hopefully. Sprint is starting to turn on 800. It was probably a testing phase, or was isolated to a couple of sites. People in KC have started randomly connecting to 800. It doesn't seem to be consistent there yet either, as I didn't connect while I was there, but others did.

KC seems to get everything first! Really jealous of the Google 1GBPS you guys have available.