Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I think they are concentrating on NYC just as much but it is not as noticeable because they are activating 4G on a lot of the sites and activating 3G towers at the sane time. NYC is covered decently so when we get a 4G upgrade it is not as noticable.

I think they are concentrating on NYC just as much but it is not as noticeable because they are activating 4G on a lot of the sites and activating 3G towers at the sane time. NYC is covered decently so when we get a 4G upgrade it is not as noticable.

As far as Manhattan and the Bronx are concerned, where I spend the most time in, its tougher to find newly upgraded sites.

I agree with that, as I'm finding that in Northern Manhattan and the Bronx I find that I'm mostly in 4G territory.  And since we don't have a signal strength indicator I'm never really noticing a recently upgraded site because what I use my phone for when not on Wifi is rarely that bandwidth intensive.  That being said, I'm finding that if I'm stuck on 3G, it's actually noticeably better and very usable. No longer a death sentence, lol.

As far as Manhattan and the Bronx care concerned, where I spend the most time in, its tougher to find newly upgraded sites.

The number of updates coming through has stayed pretty steady, so they are still working just as much in NYC as Long Island and Jersey, but there is a high enough concentration of activated sites in NYC that it's getting harder and harder to notice. The only places left that it would probably be noticeable is lower Manhattan, and maybe Staten Island. 

The number of updates coming through has stayed pretty steady, so they are still working just as much in NYC as Long Island and Jersey, but there is a high enough concentration of activated sites in NYC that it's getting harder and harder to notice. The only places left that it would probably be noticeable is lower Manhattan, and maybe Staten Island. 

Its awesome that Robert is posting daily site upgrades, but one thing that would help tremendously would be to take note of the date when the sites were discovered so that we know when those sites went up and fill sensorly with some purple!

Its awesome that Robert is posting daily site upgrades, but one thing that would help tremendously would be to take note of the date when the sites were discovered so that we know when those sites went up and fill sensorly with some purple!

At this point in the game, it's pretty hard to figure out which sites are new without tracking the market yourself. Some others (Digiblur in NOLA, Lilg in Missouri Market) have been tracking the markets with their own spreadsheet and maps so they can alert other members which towers were recently brought online. It'd be a big project at this point, but you might consider it if you have some extra time. 

• Like 1

At this point in the game, it's pretty hard to figure out which sites are new without tracking the market yourself. Some others (Digiblur in NOLA, Lilg in Missouri Market) have been tracking the markets with their own spreadsheet and maps so they can alert other members which towers were recently brought online. It'd be a big project at this point, but you might consider it if you have some extra time. 

It seems we just hit the half way point in completed NV sites, and it would be a massive undertaking to backtrack older sites. But, maybe for the second half of the deployment and just our local market (maybe tri-state area) wouldn't be such a huge project. hmmm...

It seems we just hit the half way point in completed NV sites, and it would be a massive undertaking to backtrack older sites. But, maybe for the second half of the deployment and just our local market (maybe tri-state area) wouldn't be such a huge project. hmmm...

The NYC market has almost double the number of sits of the NOLA or MO markets, in fact the most sites of any market so, good luck!

Why must they hold off on upgrading the 3G (EVDO) until nearby towers in the area see NV upgrades as well? For 1x, I can understand, but what kind of EVDO-related issues would anyone run into when traveling between NV and legacy areas, besides a dramatic drop/increase in performance?

I never encountered any hiccups between Jamaica (legacy 3G) and Fresh Meadows (NV 3G), the transition is pretty seamless.

Why must they hold off on upgrading the 3G (EVDO) until nearby towers in the area see NV upgrades as well? For 1x, I can understand, but what kind of EVDO-related issues would anyone run into when traveling between NV and legacy areas, besides a dramatic drop/increase in performance?

I never encountered any hiccups between Jamaica (legacy 3G) and Fresh Meadows (NV 3G), the transition is pretty seamless.

There are some interference issues between NV and legacy, not nearly as much in your market though as in some of the Samsung markets (Chicago, Ohio). They have to bring the PCS side of things up together (EVDO and 1x). And they do it in clusters to mitigate any interference issues that might be there. 

• Like 1

I was the city the other day for a Broadway show (bway and 49th). Had a 4G signal but it was pretty much unusable. Had to reboot the phone into CDMA only mode. I'm assuming it was a capacity issue.

Had pretty decent 4G on the LIRR once I got into Queens.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So looks like I'll be moving to a different thread in the forum. Moving to Tampa this coming week. Haven't got to try LTE anywhere else than New York City so it'll be nice to see how good or not so good it is down there.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I was the city the other day for a Broadway show (bway and 49th). Had a 4G signal but it was pretty much unusable. Had to reboot the phone into CDMA only mode. I'm assuming it was a capacity issue.

Had pretty decent 4G on the LIRR once I got into Queens.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It sounds to me like you had a very weak signal, considering how far away from the LTE tower you were. Install signal check (if your on android, iphones signal bar display LTE) and you can at least get a better idea of your signal in decibel (anything stronger than -110 should be usable) rather than signal bars. But, I can safely say that at that distance from the tower your will be very faint.

I agree with that, as I'm finding that in Northern Manhattan and the Bronx I find that I'm mostly in 4G territory. And since we don't have a signal strength indicator I'm never really noticing a recently upgraded site because what I use my phone for when not on Wifi is rarely that bandwidth intensive. That being said, I'm finding that if I'm stuck on 3G, it's actually noticeably better and very usable. No longer a death sentence, lol.

If you download signalcheck pro it has a signal strength indicator for lte. And for 800. Great developer to support.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I have one question for those who have Optimum in NYC. Has anyone seen an increase in internet speed lately? I used to have the regular tier of 15/2 and I would get 18/2 on average.

I upgraded to 50/8 and I was getting 30/8.

My internet was spotty for a few days and I kept seeing Optimum trucks in my neighborhood.

Yesterday I did a speed test and it was 50 down and 8 up which was awesome.

Today, I noticed more Optimum trucks and my internet went to 60/30!!!

I have no reason to switch to FiOS anymore!

Is Optimum doing any upgrades in anyone else's neighborhood?

I am starting to think they are running fiber further and further into Brooklyn to increase performance instead of running coax throughout most of Brooklyn.

I have one question for those who have Optimum in NYC. Has anyone seen an increase in internet speed lately? I used to have the regular tier of 15/2 and I would get 18/2 on average.

My internet was spotty for a few days and I kept seeing Optimum trucks in my neighborhood.

I am starting to think they are running fiber further and further into Brooklyn to increase performance instead of running coax throughout most of Brooklyn.

Lets try to stay on topic, but, Its funny that you mention this because ive been having issues since yesterday. Regardless,  after they finished deploying in the Bronx my speeds have always been 5-10mb a second over the advertised speed. Also, they do use FIBER everywhere, to the tap, then Coaxial inside the homes and buildings. 

• Like 1

I have the standard tier which is 15/2 but for some time it would average around 18/2 and for about a month or so now it's been topping out at 18/5.

Speeds are definitely higher than advertised. Me gusta. I'm a bit impressed and feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Hey does anyone know why alcatel lucent hasn't upgraded any towers in downtown Manhattan?

The last I heard from Sprint, they told me that the towers in downtown Manhattan are waiting for local telephone companies to fix the towers. That I assume means backhaul. However I'm fed up with the 8 months of issues from Sandy. Probably will terminate my contract and go check out t-mobile and see how it works out. If they don't work for me, then I'm stuck and don't know what to do but wait.

The last I heard from Sprint, they told me that the towers in downtown Manhattan are waiting for local telephone companies to fix the towers. That I assume means backhaul. However I'm fed up with the 8 months of issues from Sandy. Probably will terminate my contract and go check out t-mobile and see how it works out. If they don't work for me, then I'm stuck and don't know what to do but wait.

Oh okay thanks I figured it had something to do with backhaul. Although it's been tough, I feel like by the end of the year sprint coverage in nyc                   will be solid. 

Hopefully.

By that time I hope to cross upgrade to an IPhone 5S with Tri band 800/1900/2500 LTE.

If it is released with that hardware capability this fall.

looks like 3 band phones until the end of the year, that means no no flagship phones until next year, last year i let the s3 and note 2 pass,now i will wait for the s5 or note 4

looks like 3 band phones until the end of the year, that means no no flagship phones until next year, last year i let the s3 and note 2 pass,now i will wait for the s5 or note 4

The lg optimus g and galaxy note series are considered flagship phones and they will very likely be the first triband LTE phones given that triband LTE hotspot devices are launching this friday.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2