Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

The general consensus and testing seem to peg Clears 2500 LTE at an avg speed of about 60Mps and peaks around 100mps, so that scalable backhaul will be key to that deployment once they start sharing sites.

Honestly, I could probably bet my next paycheck that real-world speeds will never be that high. And unless it is a d#$! measuring contest, does it really matter?

If it happened today, not really..2 years from now when our phones are streaming 4k video and streaming high quality games maybe having 20megs+ with low latency wouldnt hurt. Also from a marketing standpoint, would definitely make sprints job a bit easier.

Just talk to Sprint... Tower down in lower Manhattan again... My phones been going from 3G to "o" and back and forth again. I really wish it's LTE that they are putting up. Others with iPhones notice this around the city? I had that issues while riding the 7 train too. Just connected to LTE than lose it to 3G to "o" and than 3G... LTE... 3G... "o"... lol

Just talk to Sprint... Tower down in lower Manhattan again... My phones been going from 3G to "o" and back and forth again. I really wish it's LTE that they are putting up. Others with iPhones notice this around the city? I had that issues while riding the 7 train too. Just connected to LTE than lose it to 3G to "o" and than 3G... LTE... 3G... "o"... lol

Yes I've been having this problem with my iphone for 3 days now in brooklyn gravesend are.

If it happened today, not really..2 years from now when our phones are streaming 4k video and streaming high quality games maybe having 20megs+ with low latency wouldnt hurt. Also from a marketing standpoint, would definitely make sprints job a bit easier.

Why? What does Verizon. AT&T, and T-Mobile advertise? There is no point in advertising maximum theoretical speeds, better off with an average that people will see consistently.

I was in Sunnyside, Queens yesterday, and was averaging 6-9mbps on the street walking. That was more than enough for Pandora, Spotify, etc.

Is it just me or does it seem like NV in NYC has been progressing super slow in the past 2 months. Before 2 months ago, a ton of progress was made, but now it seems like nothing is happening.

Actually, the number of updates in NYC has been higher then ever the last two months. The difference is there's already been a lot of updates, so it's harder to see where the new ones are. Add to that the insane density of sites in NYC, and it feels even slower.

Sent from my HTC ONE

• Like 1

Why? What does Verizon. AT&T, and T-Mobile advertise? There is no point in advertising maximum theoretical speeds, better off with an average that people will see consistently.

I was in Sunnyside, Queens yesterday, and was averaging 6-9mbps on the street walking. That was more than enough for Pandora, Spotify, etc.

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that speed at all at this point, and I believe most users will not be able to discern the difference between 9mbs and 50mbs in real world use RIGHT NOW. But as time passes requirements change, I would shoot myself if I were still on my 7mb DSL (I have 100mb cable now)

Depending on where you are, 8 blocks seems like a lot to cover, especially with the tower density in the boroughs.

There is a chance there could be a further-away tower, with panels adjusted as such to support that building.

the problem is sprint thinks is enough,i got my evo lte replace because i wasn't getting the nv improvement, there is 3 nv sites 2 are far and 1 is on 34 ave and 82 st is not facing my direction

Since I value the opinions of those in this site, I have a question. Ever since Nov of last year from Sandy, Lower Manhattan has had the worst service for Sprint. NV is going on in the city where about 50 percent of the area I visit have LTE available. My work area which is Wall street has little or no NV sites done. The network tickets in the area has been around since Nov 2012 and still is being worked on. How long do you wait until you finally break and move on? Don't want to be the fool who still is waiting when this Nov comes along... What would you do?

Since I value the opinions of those in this site, I have a question. Ever since Nov of last year from Sandy, Lower Manhattan has had the worst service for Sprint. NV is going on in the city where about 50 percent of the area I visit have LTE available. My work area which is Wall street has little or no NV sites done. The network tickets in the area has been around since Nov 2012 and still is being worked on. How long do you wait until you finally break and move on? Don't want to be the fool who still is waiting when this Nov comes along... What would you do?

I would do two things...First i would ask your co workers if they have been having issues still with verizon at&t and tmobile because from what i know all carriers have open tickets in that area so it may not help you if you switch. i think its more so the buildings have issues rather than the carrier. All the buildings in that area have to be completely rewired (telephone landlines and power lines) so permits and replacement towers in that area will take a really looooong time...

Second 800mhz will be going live soon so you will be having increased service from towers further away so it may help. I would wait if i were you but if you cant take it anymore then i understand you leaving but check with each carrier first so that your not stuck in the same situation.

I would do two things...First i would ask your co workers if they have been having issues still with verizon at&t and tmobile because from what i know all carriers have open tickets in that area so it may not help you if you switch. i think its more so the buildings have issues rather than the carrier. All the buildings in that area have to be completely rewired (telephone landlines and power lines) so permits and replacement towers in that area will take a really looooong time...

Second 800mhz will be going live soon so you will be having increased service from towers further away so it may help. I would wait if i were you but if you cant take it anymore then i understand you leaving but check with each carrier first so that your not stuck in the same situation.

I left Verizon because they have awful service here. I would not go back to them. Sprint 3G was faster than Verizon LTE here. T-mobile works fine here in my building so they would be the option. 800 mhz won't help me with data since no phone support that unless I get a new phone. But if what you said is true of it taking a looooooong time, then I will have to consider alternatives.

The question is when, there is a tower sprint/nextel one block away that is my only hope for better service, my boss has verizon even him has trouble with service his internet comes and goes and tmobile no service

I left Verizon because they have awful service here. I would not go back to them. Sprint 3G was faster than Verizon LTE here. T-mobile works fine here in my building so they would be the option. 800 mhz won't help me with data since no phone support that unless I get a new phone. But if what you said is true of it taking a looooooong time, then I will have to consider alternatives.

Yeah i hear you man...I would say go with Tmobile if you can get out of your contract and do month to month atleast until sprint finishes the network upgrades and repairs in your area...I mean people spend most of their time at work anyway so I cant imagine not having service 8 - 10 hours a day...So I would say go get data capped at tmobile (no more contracts) and jump ship when sprint gets that area under control.

The question is when, there is a tower sprint/nextel one block away that is my only hope for better service, my boss has verizon even him has trouble with service his internet comes and goes and tmobile no service

Ugh in your case its prob best to wait, if no other carrier offers better service then just call every single month and get them to give you that 25 dollar credit or whatever the credit is worth nowadayz. I cant imagine it. My wife works down there and its super annoying calling her and her phone disconnects and fades in and out. She wants unlimited data so she is trying hard to tuff it out but its rough. Verizon works better in her specific area but for you, if there is no better option like  tmobile prepaid, then you may be better off just waiting. Or look into AT&T but thats just yet another contract with issues. At least u know sprint is working hard on upgrades nationwide so the chance of sprint fixing the problem as soon as they can is probably greater than the other companies in the area.

So with the Iden network being shutdown, would you guys say that 1x 800 will be flicked on soon thereafter?

Not sure if Alcatel Lucent has been installing those upgrades as well.

All completed towers have 80pMhz hardware installed. It needs the carrier card for effective use of the spectrum. They can't Turk towers on until they shut down the iDen network. Thatvis on Sunday, I believe. Then the crews will have to stop by each tower and put in the carrier card and the towers will go love immediately I beleive. 800Mhz will be the fastest part of NV by far.

Actually, all the equipment should be there, ready for activation. I'm not even sure a crew will need to visit. It's very possible 800 could be activated remotely once the iDen channels are cleared out. Even still, it's not likely to happen all at once. 

the problem is sprint thinks is enough,i got my evo lte replace because i wasn't getting the nv improvement, there is 3 nv sites 2 are far and 1 is on 34 ave and 82 st is not facing my direction

Until all the sites are done in the area (cluster), service might be spotty. I've seen the changes where one weekend it was bad, next weekend it was better.

• Like 1

Yeah i hear you man...I would say go with Tmobile if you can get out of your contract and do month to month atleast until sprint finishes the network upgrades and repairs in your area...I mean people spend most of their time at work anyway so I cant imagine not having service 8 - 10 hours a day...So I would say go get data capped at tmobile (no more contracts) and jump ship when sprint gets that area under control.

the problem is a have six lines with sprint, if i cancel i cant get the six line back.i have to wait the tower down the block some panels have been removed since may, i hope it will be upgraded soon
  • Like 1

I thought it was a PRL update which forced my phone into the "o of death" (see my post here http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3942-prl-250155601551097/page-3&do=findComment&comment=153732), but it was just a coincidence.

However, when traveling downtown and in midtown, I have the same results as you- the iphone spends too much time in "o"

As much as I want to root for the underdog in the fight, it's very challenging to have Sprint in NYC at the moment.  The LTE rollout is very slow; there is no native service in the tunnels (subway, MNR, LIRR,  or automobile), and the network is having significant growing pains as NV is rolled out.  

Chicago is the best example of what Sprint in NYC will look like in 9-12 months time, and it sounds from the Chicago forum that things aren't great in the Loop there.  

I thought it was a PRL update which forced my phone into the "o of death" (see my post here http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3942-prl-250155601551097/page-3&do=findComment&comment=153732), but it was just a coincidence.

However, when traveling downtown and in midtown, I have the same results as you- the iphone spends too much time in "o"

As much as I want to root for the underdog in the fight, it's very challenging to have Sprint in NYC at the moment.  The LTE rollout is very slow; there is no native service in the tunnels (subway, MNR, LIRR,  or automobile), and the network is having significant growing pains as NV is rolled out.  

Chicago is the best example of what Sprint in NYC will look like in 9-12 months time, and it sounds from the Chicago forum that things aren't great in the Loop there.  

It depends where in Midtown, and you can't talk about native service in the tunnels, up until recently, NO ONE had service in the tunnels.

It's tough, but we all know what is going on with the updates and such, it's up to the individual user to determine where they draw their line. For me, I'm not drawing it, I'm fine with the work, I know what it takes for the crews to get the work done, and if that means I can't check my Facebook, so be it, it can wait till I'm home.

Agree on subway tunnel service being a recent event, but the Lincoln has been covered for almost 20 years:  http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/24/nyregion/lincoln-tunnel-going-cellular.html

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/NYNEX+Customers+Offered+Cellular+Service+in+Lincoln+Tunnel%3B...-a016657777

It depends where in Midtown, and you can't talk about native service in the tunnels, up until recently, NO ONE had service in the tunnels.

It's tough, but we all know what is going on with the updates and such, it's up to the individual user to determine where they draw their line. For me, I'm not drawing it, I'm fine with the work, I know what it takes for the crews to get the work done, and if that means I can't check my Facebook, so be it, it can wait till I'm home.