Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

800 LTE carrier cards were not available at the time that most of the initial NV equipment installs occurred. Later this summer, new NV installs should include all the equipment needed for 1900 and 800. But the majority of NYC market installs occurred before the 800 equipment was available, which means that additional visits are necessary.

Can 800 1x come before a tech comes out? Is that just a switch?

Can 800 1x come before a tech comes out? Is that just a switch?

Nothing, except the Nextel network shutdown, is just a switch. And even that involved site visits to fully shut down the network. Everything requires testing, provisioning, routing, which generally requires a site visit. The only way is doesn't is if they've already done all the on-site testing, in which they may be able to remotely activate. But seeing as NO ONE has reported any 800 1x in the NYC market, I doubt any on the ground testing has been done, which is why the estimate of several weeks to a couple months for 800 1x activations to start rolling seems pretty reasonable. Maybe they were able to keep the testing secret, but I doubt it with the number of people who know what to look for in the market. 

When do you guys expect for this LTE to be launched in NYC?

Launches mean nothing to sprint customers. As soon as a site is ready to broadcast LTE its up and running. If you are curious as to where LTE is available, check out crowd sourced sensorly.com, it tends to be more accurate than any official coverage map by any carrier. Also, as side note, coverage in NYC is pretty decent already.

Launches mean nothing to sprint customers. As soon as a site is ready to broadcast LTE its up and running. If you are curious as to where LTE is available, check out crowd sourced sensorly.com, it tends to be more accurate than any official coverage map by any carrier. Also, as side note, coverage in NYC is pretty decent already.

I have no idea what you mean by pretty decent coverage in NYC. I have no decent coverage. I have no LTE in my neighborhood and where I work. Yes sensorly makes it look like the whole city is covered but when you drill into the street level, it's not so covered and as Sprint fine tunes the panels angles, in places where Sensorly has purple, you no longer get LTE. Service is not pretty decent in NYC. Maybe Brooklyn and Bronx can claim pretty decent. Not Queens and Lower Manhattan. I'm still waiting for NV in Lower Manhattan and Sprint keeps telling me they are working on the towers and the ETR keeps getting pushed back a week after a week.

On a side note, T-Mobile works well as I am testing them to see if i'll make the jump. So far it's looking like T-Mobile will be my next carrier. I hope Sprint does finish the upgrades and can compete. As long as Sprint has good plans (Not the new plans), I will reconsider later.

• Like 1

I can't imagine that the 1900 sites that were complete weren't provisioned for 800 at the same time. Time wise and expense wise, sprint (alcutel, etc) can't send out all those techs out again to each site. That would be like doing NV all over again, except not as much work. I figured they would turn each switch on, only then if they have a problem with a specific site, then they would come to diagnose the issue.

Every NV tower is going to need multiple trips until 800 LTE+CDMA, 1900 LTE+CDMA is all installed on the NV towers.  The hope is that each extra trip you go you can check off more of these items so that you don't need to come for additional trips.

Also 800 wasn't provisioned at the same time as 1900 because 1) most of the NV sites right now don't have the 800 carrier card installed at the RBS and 2) Since the Nextel network was up and running and taking up the 800 MHz spectrum Sprint couldn't just fire up 800 mhz for testing or else it would cause interference.  

I have no idea what you mean by pretty decent coverage in NYC. I have no decent coverage. I have no LTE in my neighborhood and where I work. Yes sensorly makes it look like the whole city is covered but when you drill into the street level, it's not so covered and as Sprint fine tunes the panels angles, in places where Sensorly has purple, you no longer get LTE. Service is not pretty decent in NYC. Maybe Brooklyn and Bronx can claim pretty decent. Not Queens and Lower Manhattan. I'm still waiting for NV in Lower Manhattan and Sprint keeps telling me they are working on the towers and the ETR keeps getting pushed back a week after a week.

On a side note, T-Mobile works well as I am testing them to see if i'll make the jump. So far it's looking like T-Mobile will be my next carrier. I hope Sprint does finish the upgrades and can compete. As long as Sprint has good plans (Not the new plans), I will reconsider later.

Sensorly actually shows there is almost no coverage in lower manhattan, Im in the bronx, i have very decent coverage, upper west side pretty decent, upper east side pretty decent, yonkers area pretty decent, Astoria is decent, washington heights is also pretty decent, lower east works well also. Is it perfect? no it is not! do they have plenty of work ahead..yes they do, but to say coverage is bad, is not really looking at the bigger picture.

Sensorly actually shows there is almost no coverage in lower manhattan, Im in the bronx, i have very decent coverage, upper west side pretty decent, upper east side pretty decent, yonkers area pretty decent, Astoria is decent, washington heights is also pretty decent, lower east works well also. Is it perfect? no it is not! do they have plenty of work ahead..yes they do, but to say coverage is bad, is not really looking at the bigger picture.

I didn't say coverage is bad. Other then Brooklyn and Bronx and upper manhattan, coverage isn't pretty decent. In queens, I don't have pretty decent coverage. LTE is limited and 3G is mediocre. And with such spots of LTE in queens, I switch from LTE to 3G too often to have reliable data coverage. I know it's expected and such but let's not say NYC has pretty decent coverage when that's not true. Only few parts of NYC has decent coverage.

I didn't say coverage is bad. Other then Brooklyn and Bronx and upper manhattan, coverage isn't pretty decent. In queens, I don't have pretty decent coverage. LTE is limited and 3G is mediocre. And with such spots of LTE in queens, I switch from LTE to 3G too often to have reliable data coverage. I know it's expected and such but let's not say NYC has pretty decent coverage when that's not true. Only few parts of NYC has decent coverage.

Better yet, lets say its not decent in the places you visit, and is for the places that I visit..

Better yet, lets say its not decent in the places you visit, and is for the places that I visit..

here are my speedtest from the same nv tower, and the problem is when you get lte you see the difference land when you go back to 3g and you cant even open a website or google now, makes me mad

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

uploadfromtaptalk1374531242037.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1374531265032.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1374531765542.jpg

here are my speedtest from the same nv tower, and the problem is when you get lte you see the difference land when you go back to 3g and you cant even open a website or google now, makes me mad

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

It looks like you have pretty bad signal from the looks of your Notification bar...EVDO under -100dBm i find to be almost unusable..That being the case, you might benefit greatly from 800 VOICE/LTE or a closer tower being upgraded.

My phone rarely connects to the old site and I get better service than NV sites, sprint should upgrade more than one or two in the area because is actually making it worst.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk HD

uploadfromtaptalk1374544827049.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1374544850281.jpg

Looking at the completed maps, times square and lower manhattan need a lot of help for LTE deployment. The backhaul deployment needs to speed up to get LTE launched. Hopefully 800 LTE and cdma launches are starting up if the vendors have to go back to these NV completed 3g sites to launch 800 and 1900 LTE and 800 cdma. I dont think nyc will be announced by sprint until december.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

The last few updates have mostly been LTE so I think that what Sprint is concentrating most on in NYC is getting fiber to all of these sites with only 3G upgrades. Personally, I think a fall launch in NYC is very doable. Although it probably won't make much of a difference whether it's launched or not. All you will be able to do is call in when your tower is down.

Do you not get LTE anywhere? Or just where you're at?

Only there

He saud, not that it matters because Sprint usually keeps towers on after they are complete whereas AT&T and Verizon turn them off and then turn it back on for the launch. However I do know a few LTE sites that got turned off after they got completed in Brooklyn.