Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

When is nyc going to get the lte officially because when I'm out my building in uptown manhattan I have lte bars but when I come up to my apartment I don't have any lte and it sucks because sprints 3G sucks. I can't believe tmobile has released lte in nyc faster than sprint !!

I dont know if you have been lurking in and around this forum, but official press release mean absolutely nothing for sprint customers. As soon as sprint is able to broadcast LTE they turn it on. Most places in NYC without LTE are just waiting on backhaul to be installed, but coverage in NYC has been getting better and better everyday! Now, Tmobile have had that backhaul in place in many places for a while to run their HSPA+  network, thats why they were able to deploy quickly in alot of those places. But in the end, it wont matter because it will be sprints 800/1900/2500 vs Tmobiles 1700/1900/2100. So patience will pay off in the long run.

I think Sprint should have taken the T-Mobile approach though, and launched LTE in clusters as they have done in with 3G. It provides more of a contiguous experience while on the network, and where it is launched your signal will be strong enough that you will probably still have it, even while indoors.

I think Sprint should have taken the T-Mobile approach though, and launched LTE in clusters as they have done in with 3G. It provides more of a contiguous experience while on the network, and where it is launched your signal will be strong enough that you will probably still have it, even while indoors.

Its definitely been a double edged sword, there is no telling how many customers would have bailed waiting for sprint to have enough LTE to deploy in clusters, vs how many they've kept because they finally had some sort of LTE. Then the wild card, like the person above, who isn't happy about spotty coverage.

• Like 1

Fios basic is 25/25 i normaly get between 30&35 up and down, for an extra $10 i could get 50/50

My speed is now 110 down and 30 up for $45.00bucks (on the tripleplay package special) and has been rock solid. I see no point in moving to FIOS anymore.

• Like 1

FiOS isn't available in my area so most are on cable, dsl, or satellite of some kind. As a result, I never get the full speed of the tier of my internet. It kinda sucks. I would have 110 but my internet won't go past 60.

Put your phone in CDMA only. Wait for the entire cluster to come online then turn on LTE. There you go. Makes everyone happy as they can choose. I prefer to use it as they come online. Stupid to have sites sitting and blocked.

Waiting for backhaul sucks, and would delay everything if you waited in clusters. 

Better to upgrade each site as soon as possible.

FiOS isn't available in my area so most are on cable, dsl, or satellite of some kind. As a result, I never get the full speed of the tier of my internet. It kinda sucks. I would have 110 but my internet won't go past 60.

U need a docsis 3.0 modem and a newer n router!

Just saw -118db of LTE at my work. Downtown Manhattan. They have been working on one of the towers near me since Nov of last year. I think I might finally get LTE here. But LTE lasted all of 5 secs and now I see "o". But LTE nonetheless.

Just saw -118db of LTE at my work. Downtown Manhattan. They have been working on one of the towers near me since Nov of last year. I think I might finally get LTE here. But LTE lasted all of 5 secs and now I see "o". But LTE nonetheless.

:tu:

Wow not 1 800 sighting yet! What's going on?

I still think we are still several weeks away from seeing the first 800 cdma sites launched. There could be reasons for the delay. It could be that sprint wants the contractors to wait for more sites to have backhaul so that they can install and launch 800 cdma and LTE at the same time. I would hate to have the crews go to the site now to launch 800 cdma now and then have to go back and launch 800 LTE at a later point. There are just too many sites that need upgrading that unnecessary trips dont need to be made. 1900 cdma is still fine for now since ppl still expect it. I really do hope at least alcatel markets wait to launch 800 cdma and LTE if possible.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I still think we are still several weeks away from seeing the first 800 cdma sites launched. There could be reasons for the delay. It could be that sprint wants the contractors to wait for more sites to have backhaul so that they can install and launch 800 cdma and LTE at the same time. I would hate to have the crews go to the site now to launch 800 cdma now and then have to go back and launch 800 LTE at a later point. There are just too many sites that need upgrading that unnecessary trips dont need to be made. 1900 cdma is still fine for now since ppl still expect it. I really do hope at least alcatel markets wait to launch 800 cdma and LTE if possible.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Pretty sure any site that is on LTE 1900 right now already has the backhaul for 800 and its a remote software switch. I guess once nyc is officially announced, good chance switches will be turned on.

I found out today that the East River has 4G almost everywhere. I went on the water taxi and my phone was picking up 4G at about 7Mbps down an 5Mbps up.

Water taxis are fun! I was in manhattan as well today and got excellent 4G signal and speeds

Pretty sure any site that is on LTE 1900 right now already has the backhaul for 800 and its a remote software switch. I guess once nyc is officially announced, good chance switches will be turned on.

A remote software switch makes it sound so easy like there is no work to be done.  I am pretty sure the 800 LTE carrier card is not installed at these base stations so a trip out to the site needs to be done anyways. But even if it were true, I doubt the first time you are going to launch it live you are not going to test it at all to make sure the signal is transmitting and the downtilt is correct.  I doubt there was any testing done with the 800 RRUs when they were installing them and hooking them up to the panels especially before June 30th.  If I were Sprint I woudln't just trust a flip of a switch especially if I plan to launch it once and be done with it.  The process to launch 800 LTE and CDMA is not any different than 1900 LTE and CDMA in that it still needs to be approved by the inspection team so why not take the time to get it right.

A remote software switch makes it sound so easy like there is no work to be done. I am pretty sure the 800 LTE carrier card is not installed at these base stations so a trip out to the site needs to be done anyways. But even if it were true, I doubt the first time you are going to launch it live you are not going to test it at all to make sure the signal is transmitting and the downtilt is correct. I doubt there was any testing done with the 800 RRUs when they were installing them and hooking them up to the panels especially before June 30th. If I were Sprint I woudln't just trust a flip of a switch especially if I plan to launch it once and be done with it. The process to launch 800 LTE and CDMA is not any different than 1900 LTE and CDMA in that it still needs to be approved by the inspection team so why not take the time to get it right.

I can't imagine that the 1900 sites that were complete weren't provisioned for 800 at the same time. Time wise and expense wise, sprint (alcutel, etc) can't send out all those techs out again to each site. That would be like doing NV all over again, except not as much work. I figured they would turn each switch on, only then if they have a problem with a specific site, then they would come to diagnose the issue.

I can't imagine that the 1900 sites that were complete weren't provisioned for 800 at the same time. Time wise and expense wise, sprint (alcutel, etc) can't send out all those techs out again to each site. That would be like doing NV all over again, except not as much work. I figured they would turn each switch on, only then if they have a problem with a specific site, then they would come to diagnose the issue.

800 LTE carrier cards were not available at the time that most of the initial NV equipment installs occurred. Later this summer, new NV installs should include all the equipment needed for 1900 and 800. But the majority of NYC market installs occurred before the 800 equipment was available, which means that additional visits are necessary.