Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

To me the biggest challenge of improving service is tri-band adoption.  With the 2nd carrier trickling through, and the amount of tri-band sites growing steadily, how long will it be before the networks three bands are spreading out the load to handle the demand?  Do we need 25% adoption, 50%, 75% or more?  It literally keeps me up at night thinking we all believe service (on B25) is gonna improve because of tri-band service activation, but we have no idea how many Sprint users need to be using the devices or how long it will or should take to get there.

If you're not part of the solution, you're the problem.

To me the biggest challenge of improving service is tri-band adoption.  With the 2nd carrier trickling through, and the amount of tri-band sites growing steadily, how long will it be before the networks three bands are spreading out the load to handle the demand?  Do we need 25% adoption, 50%, 75% or more?  It literally keeps me up at night thinking we all believe service (on B25) is gonna improve because of tri-band service activation, but we have no idea how many Sprint users need to be using the devices or how long it will or should take to get there.

That keeps you up at night? You need better things to worry about. I'm sorry, but really. 

You have a GS3, how long have you had it? You ought to be close to the end of you contract cycle at this point. Maybe it's time to consider that.

Yeah, it sucks that in order to use the improved network you have to get a new device, but moaning about it is not going to change it. It happens on every carrier, every time the technology improves.

AT&T just launched LTE-A in your area. But only people with the latest and greatest (1) device can use it. 

• Like 1

I stay awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.

AJ

• Like 1

To me the biggest challenge of improving service is tri-band adoption. With the 2nd carrier trickling through, and the amount of tri-band sites growing steadily, how long will it be before the networks three bands are spreading out the load to handle the demand? Do we need 25% adoption, 50%, 75% or more? It literally keeps me up at night thinking we all believe service (on B25) is gonna improve because of tri-band service activation, but we have no idea how many Sprint users need to be using the devices or how long it will or should take to get there.

Did you miss the main point of my post earlier? I pointed out that even if you can only get b25 in a completed mature NV market you'll have a great experience. I understand Chicago is quite a bit more dense than KC but Chicago has a second b25 carrier. Once they get that rolled out and the last few hiccups in NV deployment(probably permits and back haul which Sprint can't really control...) you should easily see speeds at or above their stated average speeds. The USC spectrum is what's going to save Sprint in Chicago, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That keeps you up at night? You need better things to worry about. I'm sorry, but really. 

You have a GS3, how long have you had it? You ought to be close to the end of you contract cycle at this point. Maybe it's time to consider that.

Yeah, it sucks that in order to use the improved network you have to get a new device, but moaning about it is not going to change it. It happens on every carrier, every time the technology improves.

AT&T just launched LTE-A in your area. But only people with the latest and greatest (1) device can use it. 

Its a Figure of speech, Im not really up at night.  Sheesh.  I am not moaning I am asking the question.  I havent been able to get a good read on at what point does demand physically spread out across the spectrums.  Perhaps Sprint has made some announcements or the CEO dripped some comments into a blog or article about at what point he expects tri-band adoption to be significant enough to alter band loading.

For all you US Cellular no show haters, I was at Wrigley on Sat for friends Birthday.  Sure the stadium was packed and we were even standing room only in the bleachers, but dont worry the amount of attention paid to the game out there made it feel like they might as well have been a nice empty dark green seats from the Cell.  Anyway, service was decent.  I could use basic functions for communication and while it took a long time for things to load (like MLB Scores on AtBat), it was still far better than recent experiences at US Cellular or Soldier Field.

I've seen B26 for two two-day periods in the past couple weeks and I believe I'm getting the new B25 carrier today.

Definitely better signal performance on B25 now and speed tests are night-and-day faster.  Consistently 400% faster on average.

Closest intersection Oak Park Ave. and Pershing Rd. (Berwyn).

I believe this is the tower I'm connecting to :

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3910+Scoville+Ave/@41.821286,-87.786365,3a,90y,195h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s3UtN1uB2M2d5MOHkzMFHmg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x880e341d2bbe4621:0x28cac0c88d0efb9b!6m1!1e1

Cheers!

Edited by johnrockets
  • Like 2

Extra capacity is a beautiful thing. To think: we will soon have 3 5x5 carriers, plus our 10x10 on b41. Excellent.

10x10 on band 41..... :blink:

Sent from my Nexus 5

Extra capacity is a beautiful thing. To think: we will soon have 3 5x5 carriers, plus our 10x10 on b41. Excellent.

It is, isn't it?

Right, it's a full 20MHz chunk, TD-LTE: Time division rather than Frequency division like we see on PCS and SMR LTE. 

Follow the link and then scroll down to FD-LTE and TD-LTE for slightly better technical description. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1704-frequently-asked-questions/&do=findComment&comment=305867

• Like 2

I think TDD doesn't work like that. 20mhz?

Right, it's a full 20MHz chunk, TD-LTE: Time division rather than Frequency division like we see on PCS and SMR LTE. 

Follow the link and then scroll down to FD-LTE and TD-LTE for slightly better technical description. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1704-frequently-asked-questions/&do=findComment&comment=305867

Actually, Sprint owns/leases far more than 20 MHz within B41, in some areas as much as 160 MHz.  At this time, Sprint has cleared at least 20 MHz for TD-LTE in all launched B41 markets.  But the Clearwire WIMAX implementation was very spectrum-inefficient, and was set up use multiple 10-MHz blocks on each tower/site, with adjacent sites not being able to use the same channels/frequencies.  When WIMAX is shut down, Sprint will be able to free up a LOT of 2500/2600 MHz bandwidth, and will be able to implement multiple 20 MHz TD-LTE channels in most if not all markets.  I have also read somewhere that Sprint may be narrowing the existing WIMAX channels to 5 MHZ as an interim step to free up spectrum in many WIMAX markets.

• Like 1

Actually, Sprint owns/leases far more than 20 MHz within B41, in some areas as much as 160 MHz.  At this time, Sprint has cleared at least 20 MHz for TD-LTE in all launched B41 markets.  But the Clearwire WIMAX implementation was very spectrum-inefficient, and was set up use multiple 10-MHz blocks on each tower/site, with adjacent sites not being able to use the same channels/frequencies.  When WIMAX is shut down, Sprint will be able to free up a LOT of 2500/2600 MHz bandwidth, and will be able to implement multiple 20 MHz TD-LTE channels in most if not all markets.  I have also read somewhere that Sprint may be narrowing the existing WIMAX channels to 5 MHZ as an interim step to free up spectrum in many WIMAX markets.

Fully aware of that. I wasn't saying anything about how much spectrum they have, just how much they are using currently.

So I just moved back to my parents in the NW burbs (Fox River Grove) from Orlando, and it really is a night and day difference being in a complete market. I was using my nexus 5 initially and it did connect to B41 after a PRL update, but after it lost it, I could not get back. 3G is performing phenomenally too. even with a -100dbm eHRPD signal I can still browse and do whatever with no issues. 

I was curious to see how my G2 performed up here too so I swapped phones. When on 3G it did not want to park on 1x800 until I death-gripped it, even then it quickly went back to 1x1900 after the fact. I flashed the sponsor's PRL to get it parked on 1x800, since I'm on the fringe of PCS. B41 is abundant here and I even hold onto a usable -120 dbm signal in my basement! I haven't run into any B26 or USCC carriers yet, but I have a feeling they will be coming very soon. So far I'm very impressed with the network here.

• Like 3

I think there are some down tilt/power adjustments happening. I have a stronger dBm in a lot of places. One place where I know my dBm on my iPhone has been -85 every day since I got my iPhone in September is now -69.

I think there are some down tilt/power adjustments happening. I have a stronger dBm in a lot of places. One place where I know my dBm on my iPhone has been -85 every day since I got my iPhone in September is now -69.

For LTE or 1x/3G?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

LTE.

Nice.  Here in San Diego even though we have LTE widespread, usually see it above -100db.  Must be nice to have anything below -85.