Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Did you only see that in one place? How were your speeds? Keep an eye out. Now that I know the channel numbers, I will, too.

Just in Hoffman Estates, likely just the tower on Huntington. Speed have always flown there so I didn't notice much difference. My phone handed off from g block to B and if I hadn't been staring at signalcheck I would have never known.

• Like 1

Just found some more band 26 on my way in to the city. On I-55 NB between first ave. and Harlem ave. It switched over because of capacity, surprisingly. Right at the Harlem exit has always been terrible, and makes spotify stop. Today, it kept playing. Speedtest was 11mbps, field test showed 26 :) Looks like it's spreading.

• Like 1

Not sure that's entirely true. Surely you've checked out the B41 maps in the Premier section?

Of course I have, sadly a lot of burbs aren't filled in yet. Also a lot of people don't have tri-band devices, I still have device that is just band 25 only. So band 25 is getting slower :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397845007.871139.jpg

Calumet ave and route 30 in Dyer has never had any speed problems. Albeit I'm line of sight with a -82 db signal but I've been line of sight of many other sites and the highest I'll get is 15-20 Mbps from them.

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397845007.871139.jpg

Calumet ave and route 30 in Dyer has never had any speed problems. Albeit I'm line of sight with a -82 db signal but I've been line of sight of many other sites and the highest I'll get is 15-20 Mbps from them.

My buddy lives there behind the jewel. Speeds are pretty good over there. That's where we go for independence day because fireworks are legal :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Of course I have, sadly a lot of burbs aren't filled in yet. Also a lot of people don't have tri-band devices, I still have device that is just band 25 only. So band 25 is getting slower :(

True, if you don't have a tri-band device you're not going to benefit, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's not turned on yet. I'm pretty sure it is. Even if it's not everywhere just yet, it will be soon.

My buddy lives there behind the jewel. Speeds are pretty good over there. That's where we go for independence day because fireworks are legal :)

That's actually where I was just at, the Jewel. They have three carriers on two towers next to the Texas Roadhouse, and then a Verizon site is a 1/4 mile away on 213th across from Briar Ridge.

Munster puts on a great fireworks show at Centennial park. That was actually the first time I ever experienced sprint LTE crash. EVDO crashed too, only voice worked.

LTE at the corner of Main st and Calumet Ave. about a mile and a half between two Sprint sites. image.jpg

And EVDO at the corner of Main st and Indianapolis blvd. strong LTE here but you can guess what happened between my last speedtest and here....you guessed it band 25 faded too much! Plenty of places around here that need band26 just to stay connected outdoors on the road. Sprint has better spacing then att but only optimal for PCS voice and EVDO. Verizon spaces there sites about 6 miles apart around here.

image.jpg

• Like 1

ATTN staff: since bands 26/41 are starting to ramp up around here, would it be possible to open a premier Chicago 26/41 discussion thread to be in compliance with the new rule? Thanks

ATTN staff: since bands 26/41 are starting to ramp up around here, would it be possible to open a premier Chicago 26/41 discussion thread to be in compliance with the new rule? Thanks

Feel free to start your own thread and track whatever you want.

Sent from my Nexus 5

is the second carrier a 10x10 or 5x5?

5x5, I believe. Many devices on the Sprint network cannot access a B25 10x10 FDD carrier

Edit: Actually I have no idea if they can or can't access a 10x10 carrier. What I meant to say is that Sprint does not have a 10x10 chunk of contiguous spectrum to deploy one in Chicago, at least from what i've heard

Edited by kyle_4thousand

5X5, I believe. Many devices on the Sprint network cannot access a B25 10x10 FDD carrier

Most of those old phones will be replaced in next 12 months. And is it less expensive for Sprint to deploy 5X5 carrier over 10X10 carrier?

is the second carrier a 10x10 or 5x5?

EARFCN 26315 puts the center frequency at 1877.5 DL / 1957.5 DL or right in the beginning of PCS B block.

• Block A: 1850 - 1865 and 1930 - 1945 (30 MHz) - issued by MTAs
  • Block B: 1870 - 1885 and 1950 - 1965 (30 MHz) - issued by MTAs
  • Block C: 1895 - 1910 and 1975 - 1990 (30 MHz, 15 MHz or 10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block D: 1865 - 1870 and 1945 - 1950 (10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block E: 1885 - 1890 and 1965 - 1970 (10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block F: 1890 - 1895 and 1970 - 1975 (10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block G: 1910 - 1915 and 1990 - 1995 (10 MHz) - issued by EAs

Also see this post for info on what spectrum was swapped. 

Synergistically, though, the PCS B block 20 MHz license that Sprint will acquire in Chicago is directly adjacent to its existing PCS D block 10 MHz license, giving Sprint a fully 30 MHz contiguous swath of PCS spectrum, which will allow Sprint to deploy additional CDMA2000 carriers and larger LTE bandwidth (10-15 MHz FDD) when the time comes to add LTE capacity.  

• Like 1

EARFCN 26315 puts the center frequency at 1877.5 DL / 1957.5 DL or right in the beginning of PCS B block.

• Block A: 1850 - 1865 and 1930 - 1945 (30 MHz) - issued by MTAs
  • Block B: 1870 - 1885 and 1950 - 1965 (30 MHz) - issued by MTAs
  • Block C: 1895 - 1910 and 1975 - 1990 (30 MHz, 15 MHz or 10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block D: 1865 - 1870 and 1945 - 1950 (10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block E: 1885 - 1890 and 1965 - 1970 (10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block F: 1890 - 1895 and 1970 - 1975 (10 MHz) - issued by BTAs
  • Block G: 1910 - 1915 and 1990 - 1995 (10 MHz) - issued by EAs

Also see this post for info on what spectrum was swapped. 

Thanks it's helpful.

So the 2nd carrier could be 10x10, from my understanding of your post.

This is so needed. With 2 reports in 2 days, I'm getting excited.

Very exciting indeed. It will be interesting to see if the second carrier is live in the Loop and in other dense areas

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Very exciting indeed. It will be interesting to see if the second carrier is live in the Loop and in other dense areas

That brings up my next question. I wish we had some kind of official word from sprint on where they plan on deploying this spectrum. It doesn't make sense, although cheaper, to just pepper a market with a tower here and a tower there. Places where they've deemed "high capacity." It should be market wide, IMHO. Why don't you head over to our newly created Chicago premier thread and post the location/tower id (if you know it). I would like to check it out for myself this weekend.

That brings up my next question. I wish we had some kind of official word from sprint on where they plan on deploying this spectrum. It doesn't make sense, although cheaper, to just pepper a market with a tower here and a tower there. Places where they've deemed "high capacity." It should be market wide, IMHO. Why don't you head over to our newly created Chicago premier thread and post the location/tower id (if you know it). I would like to check it out for myself this weekend.

I would post it if I was the one that found the second carrier lol. But I would think they are deploying it market wide, since the spectrum they purchased from uscc was for the entire chicago market. It probably is contingent on techs popping in those carrier cards for the second pcs carrier, much like the deployment for B26.

I also latched onto the uscc spectrum, this was in northeast Naperville bordering lisle, forgot to run a speed test doh...

I would post it if I was the one that found the second carrier lol. But I would think they are deploying it market wide, since the spectrum they purchased from uscc was for the entire chicago market. It probably is contingent on techs popping in those carrier cards for the second pcs carrier, much like the deployment for B26.

My fault, I misread. Bitslizer, can you tell me the approximate location (intersection) that you caught this at in Naperville? You can post it here. If you know the tower id, message me with it. Thanks.

You don't need another carrier card for another B25 carrier as it's all just software to enable another PCS LTE carrier. 

• Like 1

My fault, I misread. Bitslizer, can you tell me the approximate location (intersection) that you caught this at in Naperville? You can post it here. If you know the tower id, message me with it. Thanks.

Closest intersection would be N Naper Blvd and Meadow Lake Drive

Edited by lilotimz