Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

If you're still in the area, keep checking. Maybe do a few airplane toggles. The network will decide what carrier to put you on, but you might get lucky. Also, in signal check, you should enable the logging feature and check it at the end of the day to see the gci of sites you've connected to throughout the day. You'll be looking for the numbers I posted above.

If you're still in the area, keep checking. Maybe do a few airplane toggles. The network will decide what carrier to put you on, but you might get lucky. Also, in signal check, you should enable the logging feature and check it at the end of the day to see the gci of sites you've connected to throughout the day. You'll be looking for the numbers I posted above.

Its also weird because generally when I'm on the 2nd PCS carrier, SignalCheck doesn't report the up and down freqs and I have to go to LTE engineering. As an aside, I did a speedtest near Home Depot on Oakton in Evanston and got 76 megs down on band 41.

• Like 1

Its also weird because generally when I'm on the 2nd PCS carrier, SignalCheck doesn't report the up and down freqs and I have to go to LTE engineering. As an aside, I did a speedtest near Home Depot on Oakton in Evanston and got 76 megs down on band 41.

In the engineering screen, you should see download/upload as 8315, and 26315 for the second carrier.

Spotted a 2nd PCS carrier while in the basement of the Chicago Theater this afternoon.

Go show that screenshot to Mike in the SignalCheck thread.  Something is amiss because those are not valid band 25 frequencies.  Based on the evidence, my guess is that you were connected to the band 26 carrier but that SignalCheck's band detection or EARFCN conversion contains an error.

AJ

Go show that screenshot to Mike in the SignalCheck thread.  Something is amiss because those are not valid band 25 frequencies.  Based on the evidence, my guess is that you were connected to the band 26 carrier but that SignalCheck's band detection or EARFCN conversion contains an error.

Yep, confirmed.  I just crunched the numbers by inputting the known band 26 EARFCN into the band 25 EARFCN conversion formula.  The result exactly matched drock2750's erroneous band 25 frequencies.  So, SignalCheck has gone awry.

AJ

• Like 1

Its also weird because generally when I'm on the 2nd PCS carrier, SignalCheck doesn't report the up and down freqs and I have to go to LTE engineering.

AJ and the others are right, that is SignalCheck behaving badly.. you were most likely on B26 but the app identified it as B25, hence the invalid frequencies.

Annnnd I just realized what the problem is.. I haven't pushed out the update for SignalCheck Lite yet! The latest available version still has some significant B26/B41 flaws. I will get that taken care of within the next couple of days.

-Mike

• Like 2

So the upshot of all this is that I was connected to band 26, giving me Lte even tho I was in the basement of the Chicago Theater? That's still pretty cool!

That is basically the way the tri band deployment is supposed to work.  It would not make sense for you to enter the basement, lose the original band 25 carrier, then pick up the second band 25 carrier.  It is not as if the second band 25 carrier has a propagation advantage over the original band 25 carrier.

AJ

• Like 2

AJ and the others are right, that is SignalCheck behaving badly.. you were most likely on B26 but the app identified it as B25, hence the invalid frequencies.

Annnnd I just realized what the problem is.. I haven't pushed out the update for SignalCheck Lite yet! The latest available version still has some significant B26/B41 flaws. I will get that taken care of within the next couple of days.

-Mike

Let us know when its updated.

Anyone having trouble with incomming calls from at&t? Today whenever I get an incomming call from someone on at&t we can not hear each other. My phone will ring, I answer, and then nothing. I can call the person back and we hear each other fine though. Tried this with two people in different areas (Evanson and Hoffman Estates) about 10 times with the same result each time. Tested with another Sprint user and everything is normal.

Anyone having trouble with incomming calls from at&t? Today whenever I get an incomming call from someone on at&t we can not hear each other. My phone will ring, I answer, and then nothing. I can call the person back and we hear each other fine though. Tried this with two people in different areas (Evanson and Hoffman Estates) about 10 times with the same result each time. Tested with another Sprint user and everything is normal.

Having exactly this with more than att. Comcast VoIP for instance. I have google voice integration do you?

Also been having complaints recently from att and Comcast VoIP that I sound very quiet and muffled. But nothing as bad as today's silence.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Having exactly this with more than att. Comcast VoIP for instance. I have google voice integration do you?

No Google voice integration (at least none that I have ever set up). Profile update did nothing also. Didn't think it would since calls form Sprint users are fine, but tried anyway.

In my area, the south chicago suburbs, I've been finally getting some band 26. I have an iPhone 5c so I know there will be no band 41 for me. I was just wondering if the band 26 in all areas is 5x5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my area, the south chicago suburbs, I've been finally getting some band 26. I have an iPhone 5c so I know there will be no band 41 for me. I was just wondering if the band 26 in all areas is 5x5?

Welcome to s4gru, All but Georgia,Alabama and small part of Mississippi. This is all due to southern linc having 800 spectrum in that area limiting sprint to 3x3 for lte. Otherwise Sprint will have 5x5 every where else :)

Homewood-Flossmoor?

Does anyone know what to look for while connected to 1x800/RTT or ehrpd to determine if I'm on any uscc spectrum for voice or data?

Sent from my LG-LS980

You would see an evdo or 1xRTT outside of the 3xx or 7xx channels when on the pcs band. The engineering screen is the only way I have found that indicates for sure. I ran across old uscc channels in Schaumburg today on the tower at the Motorola solution's campus.

• Like 1

Do all bands have their own backhaul, or do say bands 25,26, and 41 all use the same backhaul from the same tower?

They would use the same.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Also been having complaints recently from att and Comcast VoIP that I sound very quiet and muffled. But nothing as bad as today's silence.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Magically fixed as of today. Same for you?

They would use the same.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So if the network is congested. It doesn't matter what band you're using, your phone will slow down. Thanks.

So if the network is congested. It doesn't matter what band you're using, your phone will slow down. Thanks.

No, more often than not congestion is due to a lack of spectrum, since band 25 is limited to 5x5Mhz, it limits airlink to 37.5mb/sec no matter what kind of backhaul is in place. But once you have access to Band 25, 26 and 41 you have a boatload of spectrum and are not limited by airlink.

Since most LTE sites use Fiber, they can be scaled to serve up Gigabit(s) of data per second. It would take a shitload of spectrum to saturate a Fiber line at full speed.

Bottom line, when we mention "congestion" we most likely mean airlink saturation.