Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

So if the network is congested. It doesn't matter what band you're using, your phone will slow down. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically possible, but unlikely.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So if the network is congested. It doesn't matter what band you're using, your phone will slow down. Thanks.

Congestion is generally not a backhaul limitation. As other nexgen explained, it's the airlink that is saturated. One LTE carrier can only hold so many people. 

So why not have people with iPhones 5-5s use band 26 as top priority, those with triband phones use 41, and those with others use 25

No one is going to camp Band 26 . End of story. 

No one is going to camp Band 26 . End of story. 

I camped on band 26 almost an entire day once...

Let us clarify.  Absent some sort of nefarious hack, no one is going to camp on band 26 all of the time.

AJ

Let us clarify. Absent some sort of nefarious hack, no one is going to camp on band 26 all of the time.

AJ

I understand, by network default you mean. It surely is possible based on load conditions though, to camp out for long periods of time on B26.

So why not have people with iPhones 5-5s use band 26 as top priority, those with triband phones use 41, and those with others use 25

In the short-term, if the network is load balancing properly, this will essentially be the distribution. Priority on the network-side is 41-->25-->26, but since the newest iPhones lack B41, they will land on whichever carrier within the other 2 bands is least congested. Given that single-band devices will outnumber tri-band ones for awhile yet, that is likely to be B26.

Furthermore, unlike CDMA 1x, early "Spark" devices have demonstrated very smooth handoffs between the three LTE bands. While it is understandable to want to "camp" 1x800 due to some phones stubbornly clinging to a faint 1x1900 signal when they ought to be falling back to 1x800 (and calls sometimes dropping when a switch is made), such an explicit prioritization of the low-band seems unnecessary for LTE, given that the network so far is proving competent in managing such transitions.

• Like 1

Probably going to six flags this weekend does anyone know how data is there? Last year every time I went I had issues...

Probably going to six flags this weekend does anyone know how data is there? Last year every time I went I had issues...

A lot can change in a year, especially with network vision. Towers in the area may have not been upgraded to LTE yet, and now there's certainty that the towers are LTE with a potential for band 26 and the second pcs carrier. Please report back on how it was and what network connections you encounter.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1

A lot can change in a year, especially with network vision. Towers in the area may have not been upgraded to LTE yet, and now there's certainty that the towers are LTE with a potential for band 26 and the second pcs carrier. Please report back on how it was and what network connections you encounter.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I was just there two weekends ago, don't count on usable data inside the park, it's very fringe 3G, Unless they've turned on B26 in the couple weeks since I was last there (possible!), it's less than ideal.

I was just there two weekends ago, don't count on usable data inside the park, it's very fringe 3G, Unless they've turned on B26 in the couple weeks since I was last there (possible!), it's less than ideal.

Did they have a Wi-Fi system in place?

Sent from my LG-LS980

I think most of us by now have learned to temper our expectations for useable LTE service at crowded venues and events knowing that for the most part access is limited to one 5x5 carrier.  There are probably 20K+ people at Six Flags on a weekend day.  Thats enough to make the LTE un-useable in most of my experiences.

Simple: put down the phone and enjoy the rides. I'd actually leave my phone in the car. Nothing worse than having a $600 device fall out of your pocket, have the screen smashed while being jarred around, or submerged on a water ride.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 2

Simple: put down the phone and enjoy the rides. I'd actually leave my phone in the car. Nothing worse than having a $600 device fall out of your pocket, have the screen smashed while being jarred around, or submerged on a water ride.

Sent from my LG-LS980

The phone's not for the rides, it's for the lines!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sent from my LG-LS980

But then what you gonna do waiting in line for 90 minutes for your 60 sec coaster ride?

• Like 2

The phone's not for the rides, it's for the lines!

But then what you gonna do waiting in line for 90 minutes for your 60 sec coaster ride?

I have a better "simple:"  do not go.  You are a glutton for punishment if you attend an amusement park during the summer.  Do it in April or September when the dumbass kids are in school and the lines are nearly non existent.

AJ

• Like 8

If you do go to Six Flags, could you take out the Ingress portal "Superman"? It's been owned for over 200 days, and we would like to remove that player's bragging rights.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

....the other reason I wanted data was to Ingress in the park. Didn't quite work out though. 

If you do go to Six Flags, could you take out the Ingress portal "Superman"? It's been owned for over 200 days, and we would like to remove that player's bragging rights.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Which faction is it? :-p

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

In the SF & South Bay markets the LTE when I went was pretty good inside the park on a crowded day on B25. When I went to Six Flags Magic Kingdom and Six Flags Great America it was not a problem.

Uploaded a ton of Instagram, FB, Twitter, and Vine videos/pics without a problem.

When you're in US Cellular Field, the network is horrible, but my friend with Verizon had no problems. Funny thing was, I bet there were more people there that had verizon phones than those who had Sprint phones