Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Besides B26 & B41, don't forget that the elusive 2nd Band 25 (former Nextel) carrier should come into play soon, if/where it hasn't already.

Wait there is a 3rd B25 carrier in play now?  So like on top of the 2nd B25 carrier acquired from USCC?

No, just two.

Thats what I thought.  Have we had any confirmations of the 2nd LTE carrier in the city.  Like in the Loop, at the ballparks, in Lincoln Park and River North?

• Like 1

Thats what I thought. Have we had any confirmations of the 2nd LTE carrier in the city. Like in the Loop, at the ballparks, in Lincoln Park and River North?

I think the first sighting may have been in the loop somewhere originally. I have found it in 2 or 3 suburbs, plus around 47th and central, which seems to be a hotbed of activity. I check every night and haven't seen it anywhere else, especially near Comiskey Park (where it would be very valuable). It's coming, though.

I think the first sighting may have been in the loop somewhere originally. I have found it in 2 or 3 suburbs, plus around 47th and central, which seems to be a hotbed of activity. I check every night and haven't seen it anywhere else, especially near Comiskey Park (where it would be very valuable). It's coming, though.

I would be lying if I said my patience wasn't running thin.  I don't think there is any problem with feeling that way.  However, at the end of the day I am still here as are you.

Besides B26 & B41, don't forget that the elusive 2nd Band 25 (former Nextel) carrier should come into play soon, if/where it hasn't already.

Wait there is a 3rd B25 carrier in play now?  So like on top of the 2nd B25 carrier acquired from USCC?

Oops: My error. I meant "the elusive 2nd Band 25 (former USCC) carrier".  Sorry.

I completed the Android 4.4 upgrade pushed to my device this morning.  Since then my signal has been less stable than usual in my same office location.  If anyone else upgraded or will upgrade please keep an eye on your signal strength and connection stability to see if this is an issue or an isolated incident.  Thanks.

I completed the Android 4.4 upgrade pushed to my device this morning.  Since then my signal has been less stable than usual in my same office location.  If anyone else upgraded or will upgrade please keep an eye on your signal strength and connection stability to see if this is an issue or an isolated incident.  Thanks.

It's being discussed in the SIII thread.

It's being discussed in the SIII thread.

Ugh, its true, the latest Kit Kat update does mess up the signal strength and connectivity on the GS3.  Something with the modem software they are saying.  Another black eye.

Ugh, its true, the latest Kit Kat update does mess up the signal strength and connectivity on the GS3. Something with the modem software they are saying. Another black eye.

That really sucks. Didn't they test it?

I still have three towers that do not have LTE.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Guess it's down to just two now :) If you get a chance to swing by, - - - - - - - - - , I'd be curious to know if it's already broadcasting, and if there's any evidence for why that site only just now got accepted (e.g. new fiber or dishes). If I recall correctly, you've said all the sites in that area had some sort of microwave attached for awhile that obviously wasn't being used.

Edited by lilotimz
ಠ_ಠ

Guess it's down to just two now :) If you get a chance to swing by - - - - - - - - I'd be curious to know if it's already broadcasting, and if there's any evidence for why that site only just now got accepted (e.g. new fiber or dishes). If I recall correctly, you've said all the sites in that area had some sort of microwave attached for awhile that obviously wasn't being used.

I'll report back when I can. I noticed that tonight service was terrible. Low, spotty signal, etc. even near an existing LTE tower.

Indeed, dishes have been in place for almost two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by lilotimz
ಠ_ಠ

Guess it's down to just two now :) If you get a chance to swing by - - - - - - - - , I'd be curious to know if it's already broadcasting, and if there's any evidence for why that site only just now got accepted (e.g. new fiber or dishes). If I recall correctly, you've said all the sites in that area had some sort of microwave attached for awhile that obviously wasn't being used.

That site has been connected via microwave to fiber LTE site - - - - - - - for at least a year. I wonder what direction the data is going. Windstream also has fiber along the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by lilotimz
ಠ_ಠ

I've been seeing the new pcs carrier and b26 steadily for the entire week in the same location I posted about before (Oak Park Ave. & Pershing Rd.).

The new uscc carrier is still showing the much faster throughput and slightly better signal I described.

I'm pretty sure my battery drains a little faster though in house with it hopping between carriers frequently.  It seems to hang onto the uscc pcs carrier unless it gets weak then it hops to b26 then back to the uscc.  Occasionally still see the old xxxxxx02 cgi though when moving about the house.

It does seem that the old carrier does have somewhat better throughput performance from the extra capacity spread.

Guess it's down to just two now :) If you get a chance to swing by, - - - - - - - - - , I'd be curious to know if it's already broadcasting, and if there's any evidence for why that site only just now got accepted (e.g. new fiber or dishes). If I recall correctly, you've said all the sites in that area had some sort of microwave attached for awhile that obviously wasn't being used.

We're live! Well, on that one anyway. Mapped on Sensorly. I haven't seen any applicable PCNs lately, but I'll check ULS for any microwave changes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Kit Kat update appears to have changed the thresholds for holding B25 LTE, causing fall back to 3G and 1x in what we describe as average to poor (-110 to -125), but useable LTE areas.  This is the case in my office dtown as LTE is usually between -105 and -115.  The changes also have shrunk the phones ability to scan and re-pick up sed LTE in these areas, as you can only force it back to LTE with airplane mode toggle when you are in the -110 to -125 signal range.  Previously you would just have less than stellar LTE but it wouldn't fall back to 3G unless things got really bad.  Other forums say N5 users are experiencing similar results.  Chicago people please keep an eye out on your connectivity and fallback if you have implemented the latest upgrade, especially in the spots you know are average to weak on LTE.  Thanks.

That only makes sense from a network management perspective. Poor connections use more than their fair share of the network's time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I get it, really I do, I just don't like it.

• Like 1

Spotted a 2nd PCS carrier while in the basement of the Chicago Theater this afternoon.

That's a very odd screenshot. You have the frequency for the second carrier, but have a gci like you're on band 26. This might break all thought we had of the second carrier being 03/04/05. Maybe you caught signal check floating between the second carrier and band 26.

That's a very odd screenshot. You have the frequency for the second carrier, but have a gci like you're on band 26. This might break all thought we had of the second carrier being 03/04/05. Maybe you caught signal check floating between the second carrier and band 26.

I'm actually not sure what a GCI is...how does it indicate band 26?