Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

The issue is that LTE is reported as a "telephony network" so we have no way of knowing what the underlying "real" telephony network is.

Maps didn't update for the past 12 hours, investigating why. Backlog is "down" to about 2 million pieces of maps to update, it will probably finish over the night as this is peak hour.

• Like 1

Here is the dumb question of the day!!!  When I use sensorly to map my areas in Omaha for 4G will sensorly find the 4G signal as I map my trip or will i need to toggle airplane mode first to find the 4G signal?

Here is the dumb question of the day!!!  When I use sensorly to map my areas in Omaha for 4G will sensorly find the 4G signal as I map my trip or will i need to toggle airplane mode first to find the 4G signal?

That is a device/baseband decision not one by Sensorly.  Your phone controls all of that.  If your device is steadily using a 3G connection and drive into a 4G covered area it will not "step up" to the 4G as you have the radio busy transferring data instead of it being able to scan for LTE every once in a while.  Running Sensorly all the time can lessen your chance to catch a LTE signal since it is sending up the 3G points.  What I do to force my device to scan for LTE is run LTE Discovery in "Cycle while not connected to LTE" mode along with Sensorly running in Map Trip Started mode.  Then I pull up my LTE Engineering screen to look for new serving cells I haven't seen before.  All while mapping out in the background and catching the LTE that I might not have known about.

The issue is that LTE is reported as a "telephony network" so we have no way of knowing what the underlying "real" telephony network is.

Thanks for the explanation. I went back to the same area yesterday and mapped extensively, but I did not observe the same curiosity as on Sunday. When I had 4G coverage, only the 4G number updated.

That is a device/baseband decision not one by Sensorly.  Your phone controls all of that.  If your device is steadily using a 3G connection and drive into a 4G covered area it will not "step up" to the 4G as you have the radio busy transferring data instead of it being able to scan for LTE every once in a while.  Running Sensorly all the time can lessen your chance to catch a LTE signal since it is sending up the 3G points.  What I do to force my device to scan for LTE is run LTE Discovery in "Cycle while not connected to LTE" mode along with Sensorly running in Map Trip Started mode.  Then I pull up my LTE Engineering screen to look for new serving cells I haven't seen before.  All while mapping out in the background and catching the LTE that I might not have known about.

This is why I like to set Sensorly to only upload on Wifi, sometimes the upload activity will keep you 1x or EVDO even when  EVDO or 4G is available.

This is why I like to set Sensorly to only upload on Wifi, sometimes the upload activity will keep you 1x or EVDO even when  EVDO or 4G is available.

Run the LTE Discovery app like I stated and problem solved and you'll pick up all the LTE out there.

To cut right to the "chase," some Sensorly mappers are more thorough than others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve46w_pL8dY

You are missing out if you have not yet watched this video while thinking of these guys as potentially being Sensorly mappers filling in the gaps between city streets about which one recent poster complained.  The idea cracks me up -- I laugh and laugh...

AJ

• Like 2

Definitely a cool video!  I have thought about letting my phone hitch a ride with some friends that work for the postal service and UPS routes but the LTE coverage ended up being too sparse in LTE active areas between the sites so it would take some babysitting which they of course wouldn't be able to do.

You are missing out if you have not yet watched this video while thinking of these guys as potentially being Sensorly mappers filling in the gaps between city streets about which one recent poster complained.  The idea cracks me up -- I laugh and laugh...

AJ

If they had sensorly mapping, I would go visit them in jail lol  :lol:

I've noticed on Sensorly and previous posts on Sprint forums, 4G is finally starting to pop up in Omaha, NE. YAAAY!

Question: Based on previous 4G LTE market rollouts, and based on this current results of Sensorly, how much longer can I expect to wait for Omaha to be fully covered by 4G?

Thanks for your post. However, we already have a thread dedicated to the Nebraska/Omaha/Lincoln areas. Please use that thread for further discussion.

To answer your question, it can be anywhere from a month to 6 months depending on how quickly work is able to progress. 

Here's the link to the Nebraska thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2495-network-visionlte-market-west-iowanebraska-market-omahacouncil-bluffslincoln/

Does Sprint 2G - 3G on Sensorly also include the old Nextel iDen network?  I ask because sensoryly shows that Sprint has 3G in an area that I know they definitely do not.

Does Sprint 2G - 3G on Sensorly also include the old Nextel iDen network?  I ask because sensoryly shows that Sprint has 3G in an area that I know they definitely do not.

I don't believe it includes iDen, but it does show roaming as 3G. 

• Like 1

Something interesting happened today when I was mapping some areas around site -redacted-.

Sorry that someone needed to redact that, I thought that I'd been careful to use a Google Maps link but I think I included the site ID in the text of my post. I apologize for any problem  :(

In any case, you can find the tower on Sprint's network improvement map, but that's not really the point of this reply. When I went back to that area to see if I could duplicate the 3G/4G simultaneously updating in Sensorly, I took some photos of the tower. It's one of the fake palm tree towers that are common around San Diego. Here's a pic:

thumb-2013-07-01%2017.54.23-1.jpg

Since San Diego is in an Alcatel-Lucent area, I expected to see one of their antennas. But if you look close, the antenna is quite a bit different from the Alcatel-Lucent gear:

close-2013-07-01%2017.54.23-1.jpg close-2013-07-01%2017.54.52-1.jpg close-2013-07-01%2017.54.47-1.jpg

They look surprisingly like the Samsung antennas, particularly this one in the Samsung-spotting thread. It looks like a PCS-only Samsung antenna for IBEZ deployments. Since the above tower is only about 25 miles from the Mexican border, would that be an accurate guess? If so, I guess most of San Diego County will not be seeing CDMA & LTE on 800Mhz.

• Like 1

Just curious does sensory report ur lte signal strength or ur 1x? This has probably been covered somewhere but couldn't find anything.

Lte on most devices. There is 1 device in particular which it does 1x but counts as lte. Fail for that device. (Galaxy nexus I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Well I don't know if its because they are applying lte to all sites but in my experiance they almost always end up reflecting my 1x signal strength. I've also noticed this jumpin into roaming boosted my signal on sensory too so it confusing. Also if every tower is getting lte and 1x and evdo are suppose to travel farther. But I have been roamin with 4g many times.

You were roaming on voice while connected to sprint lte. It is impossible to "roam on another carriers lte". If your device is reporting 1x signal instead of lte signal to sensorly then I would suggest (request) that you dont map lte. Certain roms cause this issue as well. The down tilt or direction the lte antenna on the tower could also be different then legacy equipment causing u to have lte and be roaming on voice coverage

I know I woudnt be roaming on anyone's else's lte. Why would I ask about 4g having better signal then 1x. Duh. And I'm guessing maybe less downtilt til there are more towers live?

Well I don't know if its because they are applying lte to all sites but in my experiance they almost always end up reflecting my 1x signal strength. I've also noticed this jumpin into roaming boosted my signal on sensory too so it confusing. Also if every tower is getting lte and 1x and evdo are suppose to travel farther. But I have been roamin with 4g many times.

I've noticed this in ct also im roaming with lte? I was like ummmmmm

Lte on most devices. There is 1 device in particular which it does 1x but counts as lte. Fail for that device. (Galaxy nexus I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Which device maps the gray "no coverage" on the map?  It's barely there for Sprint, but the AT&T and T-Mobile maps almost have more gray than purple.