Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

Something interesting happened today when I was mapping some areas around site -redacted-.

Normally when I run Sensorly, either the 2G/3G points will update or the 4G points will update. Today, going down Campo Rd, both sets of points were updating at the same time. I took another run in the opposite direction about 15 minutes later, and Sensorly behaved the same way.

I didn't have time to stop and consult Signal Check or the details screen on Sensorly, but I'll do that tomorrow morning when I'm back in the area. I'm curious to find out if this was a fluke or perhaps had something to do with 800 MHz. I'll post screenshots if they're meaningful.

Have fun,

John

• Like 2

Sprint.com Coverage maps do no good at this time if LTE isnt listed on their site for my area yet..

I am currently fascinated with cell towers and the coverage areas. The new LTE and sensorly make it bit more fun with discovering. I am trying to get a grasp on how accurate sensorly is and how much LTE signal the towers in my area are sending out. With that said.... not sure why the comment "put sensorly down"!!   I am not a guy coming here to complain about my service....just seeing weird observations (in my noob opinion) and posting here to kick it around. I still dont buy the it must have been the only spot mapped by the users, one would think mapping would be left on and more dots connected. Plus with LTE not be Official out in these areas I think its just a tad bit of signal leaching out but then again I may be wrong and here to learn. As said I am fascinated with all this tower/signal/LTE and mapping thing.

I took a trip to MT Hood today (took the boy to camp) and drove most of the country back roads and was mapping. Brought back memory's of the wardriving kick I was on back in the day..

There is a tower about 5 miles from my house which showed some LTE when up close (not on sensorly), rolling hills and lots of tree between my house and it. I have another about 10 miles away, large tree also but way less hilly and the one which my phone hits on mostly. I post up some more info and pics on it soon but have some info to gather first . I was out in my yard tonight and got an LTE signal. NEVER seen it before.

Ya I know this post is spuratic and rambling but I am having fun :)

Emphasis in the above quote was added by me.

Look dude, no one here is trying to mess with you, what I posted a few posts back was a basic summary of how this works.

Let's try something and see if you can prove it to yourself, first the easy way...

You say that you got a signal in your yard, that you don't usually see.  Go back out into your yard, see if the signal comes back, if it doesn't, turn your phone off, then right back on, see if your phone will acquire that signal again.  If it doesn't, move to a different spot in your yard and try again.  Ideally, start from standing in the same spot where you first got that signal.

When/if you finally get the signal back, open the Sensorly app (best to wait until you get a 4G signal before starting the app), then hit the MAP TRIP in the lower right of your screen, then on the next screen that comes up, hit START.  After you see the LTE count go above ZERO, hit the stop button.  Wait for about 5 minutes for the data to upload, then close the app.  Wait about one hour, then go back and check the map.  If every thing went well, you should see the one lone area, right in your own yard, where there is a purple spot showing on the Sensorly map.

Before doing any of the above, make sure you have your settings right, hit MENU then PARAMETERS, and then scroll down to "REPORT TO SERVER", click that option and make sure that if it is set to upload only while charging or on WIFI, that you either change these settings or, make sure you are plugged in or on WIFI  before closing the Sensorly app (this will allow your data to be uploaded).

If you can't get the signal to come back in your yard, go to an area where the is signal showing on the map, get an LTE signal then start Sensorly as mentioned above.  Now move to a street that was previously NOT showing LTE, collect some data, once you know you have been receiving signal in an unmapped area,  Again, allow 5-10 minutes for data to upload before closing the app.  Now wait about an hour, check the map and see coverage in the areas that you were!

It's really quite simple and makes a lot more sense than to think that Sprint has towers that send out signals that only travel down main roads.

Might the fact that some devices can do SVLTE make a difference in simultaneous signal assessment?  I can't see the logic in having one path or another unused if the device can tx/rx for both

It used to update both numbers before the last app update. But now it should be one or the other.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Correct, I believe the Sensorly dev stated that some devices were turning in erroneous 2G/3G data while connected to 4G so the app focuses on the highest tech that is connected like the device does.

• Like 1

Sometimes it depends on the vehicle to in determining which roads you can go down. Being that I drive for a living and some places have vehicle size and weight limitations I must follow or face a pretty hefty fine. I map as much I can but I do have to follow the rules.

But all those empty squares -- Where's the coverage?  How does Sprint get those radio waves to turn corners like that?  It must be aliens!

If u r serious, they don't whoever mapped it did so in a car those are the streets. The empty squares are probably houses and back yards. You would have to walk through those areas to get them mapped.

But all those empty squares -- Where's the coverage? How does Sprint get those radio waves to turn corners like that? It must be aliens!

If u r serious, they don't whoever mapped it did so in a car those are the streets. The empty squares are probably houses and back yards. You would have to walk through those areas to get them mapped.
Not true, if your a loose nut behind the wheel, you could go driving thru people's living rooms and back yards, and if your really good, drive up to the 3rd floor of apartment buildings to.

• Like 3

Not true, if your a loose nut behind the wheel, you could go driving thru people's living rooms and back yards, and if your really good, drive up to the 3rd for of apartment buildings to.

Hahaha..I live in jersey and that is so true lol

• Like 1

But all those empty squares -- Where's the coverage?  How does Sprint get those radio waves to turn corners like that?  It must be aliens!

I guess I should have used the "/sarcasm" and "/no sarcasm" html tags. :)

Is that the same fool (in a good way) that mapped this area?

SENSORLY_GRID.JPG

No, he replied when I mentioned him in either the Michigan or sensorly threads.  That was probably an entire tank of gas.  I'm still jealous that one tower alone provides better coverage than 4 towers combined around me.  Must be very flat and open there. 

• Like 1

I guess I should have used the "/sarcasm" and "/no sarcasm" html tags. :)

it kinda sounded like sarcasm, i hesitated posting to it LOL but i figured who knows anymore.

now that i look at the post again....i def can see the sarcasm lmao

Edited by bmattox79
  • Like 2

In my noob terms, does the coverage map look slim and only on major roads because the towers are not on full blast yet?? I find it very odd the coverage looks like thin pencil lines rather than a spread out blanket look!!

Oregon city, oregon 97045 and surrounding area

http://www.sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=45.420666,-122.63801

2mo59w4.png

ip5nwj.png

Unless you like driving an mapping through peoples back yards.  :lol:

To cut right to the "chase," some Sensorly mappers are more thorough than others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve46w_pL8dY

:P

AJ

• Like 3

I don't go thru peoples yards but have found myself using side streets when running errands just to map the Midwest City Oklahoma area.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for non street/highway bound Sensorly tracks, I am surprised that no one has yet noticed this distinctive pattern...

w0hy88.png

AJ

• Like 11

Look dude, no one here is trying to mess with you, 

Look DUDE, I never said they were. 

I mapped my entire rural hood. Another words connected the dots but sensorly did not "connect the dots" Had an LTE signal in my yard for a second or two and got the purple blob on my land.via sensorly last night (first pic Highlited yellow) Never did see LTE again at home. I also had LTE right next to a tower 5 miles up the road, which i sat by it in my truck for a few minutes(red dot) and was mapping with sensorly at the time also. No purple ended up on sensorly for that tower where I spotted LTE (second pic).

So i understand some of the odd purple blobs now. Sensorly is not necessarily accurate all the time. Maybe alot has to do with towers no being officially live nor really broadcasting much out here in the sticks. On the other hand I posted a screen shot earlier of the pencil line on fisher mill, that was accurate, just a 3-4 mile stretch of LTE. Which brings back to the short distance Pencil line curiosity

2im6zjp.png

BY the way. I have seen no mention of this tower here yet so where do I report it here so it can be added to the list?? The evidence of lTE anyways!!

rmi5wz.png

If anyone is looking for non street/highway bound Sensorly tracks, I am surprised that no one has yet noticed this distinctive pattern...

w0hy88.png

AJ

This one was recorded at  my house last night and is for Real. Bizarre!! 

2mh9amw.png

• Like 2

I say you might have issues with your device. My points have dead on with what I saw in the field. Sensorly is an awesome app.

You will need to zoom in and out as some of the levels are cached and created at different times.

AJ

This one was recorded at my house last night and is for Real. Bizarre!!

That's a very weak signal. I don't even look at the light of purple like that as it is not useable usually.

That's a very weak signal. I don't even look at the light of purple like that as it is not useable usually.

digiblur, are you really not recognizing the shape of that Sensorly track?

8===D

AJ

• Like 3

digiblur, are you really not recognizing the shape of that Sensorly track?

8===D

AJ

I recognized it but it was a tad short to what I'm accustomed to seeing in the morning so it did take me a bit ;)

• Like 2