Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

i know the s3 and htc evo lte do (but only when on lte only mode and its a very weak (unusable signal) 

Something's definitely mapping gray when there is absolutely no signal at all, not just a weak signal, and people are mapping thousand mile trips through zones without LTE and it's littering the maps.  I wouldn't mind it mapping "no coverage" areas once a carrier has reached a level like verizon, but with the other carriers they are obviously so far from done upgrading towers that most of the "no coverage" areas will eventually be LTE areas. 

Lte on most devices. There is 1 device in particular which it does 1x but counts as lte. Fail for that device. (Galaxy nexus I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Which device maps the gray "no coverage" on the map? It's barely there for Sprint, but the AT&T and T-Mobile maps almost have more gray than purple.

Every device will map gray if it has "no service." So you basically have to be in LTE only mode.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

With all due respect to Sensorly, it gravely needs to revise its generic labeling system.  The current labels (e.g. Sprint - 2G-3G, T-Mobile - 4G) are problematic.

First, neither Sprint nor VZW has any "2G" coverage remaining.  It is all CDMA1X and/or EV-DO -- both of which are classified as "3G."

Second, both T-Mobile and AT&T have mucked with the system, whined, and gotten their W-CDMA, if evolved, reclassified as "4G."  Sensorly does not recognize that charade, fortunately.  But users will be confused, since their T-Mobile and AT&T devices tell them that they are on "4G" HSPA+.  Sensorly, on the other hand, logs as "4G" only the LTE deployments.

So, here are some examples of well thought out revisions to the current network coverage labels:

Sprint - 3G CDMA1X/EV-DO

Sprint - 4G WiMAX

Sprint - 4G LTE

T-Mobile - 2G-3G GSM/W-CDMA/HSPA

T-Mobile - 4G LTE

AJ

• Like 4

Is there a scale somewhere indicating how your RSRP (dBm) measurement translates into the "bars" shown in sensorly? e.g. 4 bars is 85 dBm or better (or something like that) for 0 to 4 bars.

I'm having the same issue with the website, however the iPhone app is working and loading up new mappings for a tower that just went live today. 

What is going on with the Sensorly website, all I get is "Nothing here".

http://www.sensorly.com/

"ALL YOUR SENSORLY DATA ARE BELONG TO US."

AJ

With all due respect to Sensorly, it gravely needs to revise its generic labeling system.  The current labels (e.g. Sprint - 2G-3G, T-Mobile - 4G) are problematic.

On the Android application, they list the signals as Sprint (LTE), Sprint (CDMA), T-Mobile (GSM), T-Mobile (LTE).

Which is a lot clearer.

They should also list Sprint (Roaming)

At least the mapping is still working. I mapped out a new little piece of a site and it showed up.

All my Tmo LTE mapping in ABQ from today showed up when my phone connected to my home WiFi tonight. I just had to go to the app to see it.

• Like 1

Spoke with the developer at Sensorly and they stated the problem with the website has been corrected and all is well.  Nothing to worry about, carry on and continue to lay down that purple folks!

• Like 4

I run Sensorly every day to and from work.  Yes, it is the same route every day, but you never know, a new tower may have gone live or something.

I am getting a new dock for my HTC One that will allow me to more easily see my phone while driving (compared to the cupholder).  I always leave the Spring 4G LTE map up while I drive so I have a good idea of what to expect and where.  It is a good feeling noticing you are mapping a new area of LTE that has not been mapped before, and later that night you can see your contribution on their website.

One thing however, sometimes (as one of my posts in another thread mentioned), I don't get signal where Sensorly claims there should be signal.  I wish there was a way (without triggering Airplane Mode or using an app that cycles Airplane Mode) to have the phone scan more often.

I wouldn't map the same area over and over. Only map when new coverage is added. If you map an area at one bar for 50 times and a site is upgraded right there then it will take a LOT of passes to bring it up. If it is already mapped and I don't see new serving cell numbers then I don't fire up sensorly.

Sometimes at places where others have done this I drive off to the side streets right next to the site that was recently upgraded in order to lay down some dark purple on the map.

I was under the impression Sensorly only displays the latest information.

For example, if I drove by with 1 bar (like you suggest), and that was the only information for that location, that would be displayed.  And if a new tower went live there, then newer information would be available, and that would override the older information.

I guess this could be both good and bad.  If someone got full bars at a location, then later someone else only got 1 bar for whatever reason, the site would update to the lower signal.

Either way, I thought it really only went off the latest information for a site.  If this is not the case, I will stop mapping every day to and from work, unless a new area goes live.

I was under the impression Sensorly only displays the latest information.

For example, if I drove by with 1 bar (like you suggest), and that was the only information for that location, that would be displayed. And if a new tower went live there, then newer information would be available, and that would override the older information.

I guess this could be both good and bad. If someone got full bars at a location, then later someone else only got 1 bar for whatever reason, the site would update to the lower signal.

Either way, I thought it really only went off the latest information for a site. If this is not the case, I will stop mapping every day to and from work, unless a new area goes live.

No, the data is averaged. If you map 1 bar for weeks, a new tower comes online and it's suddenly full bars, it will take weeks to reflect the change properly.

Sent from my HTC ONE

Very good to know.

Is there any way to keep it from mapping new data, but still allow me to keep the coverage map on my phone.  That way, if I find a location with 4G that is not mapped, I can tell it to start mapping.

I wouldn't map the same area over and over. Only map when new coverage is added. If you map an area at one bar for 50 times and a site is upgraded right there then it will take a LOT of passes to bring it up. If it is already mapped and I don't see new serving cell numbers then I don't fire up sensorly.

Sometimes at places where others have done this I drive off to the side streets right next to the site that was recently upgraded in order to lay down some dark purple on the map.

This is my Sensorly strategy as well. I can confirm Sensorly definitely averages data at each point.

Very good to know.

Is there any way to keep it from mapping new data, but still allow me to keep the coverage map on my phone. That way, if I find a location with 4G that is not mapped, I can tell it to start mapping.

I believe if you set your contribution level to "no contribution," you can run the app and look at the map without collecting any data. If you find a spot that hasn't been mapped, just hit the map trip button and it will start collecting.

Sent from my HTC ONE

I believe if you set your contribution level to "no contribution," you can run the app and look at the map without collecting any data. If you find a spot that hasn't been mapped, just hit the map trip button and it will start collecting.

Sent from my HTC ONE

That's how I map right now, always using the map trip button.  I like seeing how the points break down between 3G and 4G.

I also think I have it set to no contribution (used to do passive scans, but didn't like how my phone would randomly get hot in my pocket).

Thanks for the information.  Like I said, I will only contribute when I know there is a new site.

• Like 2

With all due respect to Sensorly, it gravely needs to revise its generic labeling system. The current labels (e.g. Sprint - 2G-3G, T-Mobile - 4G) are problematic.

First, neither Sprint nor VZW has any "2G" coverage remaining. It is all CDMA1X and/or EV-DO -- both of which are classified as "3G."

Agreed. From what I can tell based on my own mapping adventures, Sensorly maps Sprint 1xRTT data coverage as "2G" and EV-DO/eHRPD as "3G".

-Mike

This is my Sensorly strategy as well. I can confirm Sensorly definitely averages data at each point.

We average measurements and give priority to "upper" layers so if we get grey (no LTE) for 6 months and then get 1 reading with LTE, we'll display LTE there. And from there on, it will average out with other "LTE present" signal measurements but ignore the "no LTE" measurements that might come in.

• Like 4