Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Are you still on .15? That could be the reason you get better service.

I run the newest radio and .15 about equal amounts of time. Same results with either radio.

I couldn't do anything on my m7 down by the wedge in the valley yesterday afternoon

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

By afternoon do you mean 3:30-5ish? Because that's the time where there's a stupid amount of traffic so I'd expect b25 to be overloaded at times then. Although there's only been one time when my b25 speeds were close to Sprint's advertised speeds, I was getting 6.5mbs. I'm not down there every single day but I'm usually down there once or twice a week (usually ends up being a Saturday). If they could get b26 broadcasting down there it'd fill in the one or two places that its hard to pick up and hold LTE. Not to mention the stores like Sam's that are cell signal nightmares lol. So far it seems like b26 is being deployed along the highways and other major roads first in the St Louis area, I've only picked it up a few places not right by a major road so far. Which totally makes sense, highway coverage matters more to most people than having LTE in a house where 90% of people have some sort of home internet. I feel like I'm going to move to KC and come back over the holidays and St Louis is going to be so much further along I won't know what to do lol.

So once the Nokia crew comes in town how long will it take for them to install these new antennas?

Usually a couple of days per site. There's going to be lots of crews working this. I suspect AT&T is doing nothing right now so lots of people will be pushing for work.

So will band 41 eventually be on almost every site that has band 25, 26? Or just in cities?

Every single site in every single market in every single area that Sprint serves and potentially more bit via expansions to 55,000 total cell sites and alliances with rural carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

As Ive said before I came from Us Cellular in a deal a little over a year ago. I still frequent places where sprint roams on their 1x. Whats the possibility of a LTE roaming agreement with Us Cellular or Us Cellular joining the NetAmerica Alliance? 

Every single site in every single market in every single area that Sprint serves and potentially more bit via expansions to 55,000 total cell sites and alliances with rural carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Every single site that makes sense.

I still don't think they're going to be adding the new antennas to rural highway sites.

As Ive said before I came from Us Cellular in a deal a little over a year ago. I still frequent places where sprint roams on their 1x. Whats the possibility of a LTE roaming agreement with Us Cellular or Us Cellular joining the NetAmerica Alliance?

:tu:

• Like 1

Every single site that makes sense.

I still don't think they're going to be adding the new antennas to rural highway sites.

Hint Hint - They are. 

• Like 3

I really don't understand everyone downing the service in the valley. I'm either on 14+ mb b25 or lately b41 which is very usable even down to fringe levels. Even the 3g isn't super terrible during peak hours.

In a Chesterfield Mall office building, I'm now getting all 3 bands. I guess they tuned it since band 26 is now in the teens instead of the 30s. Will check for PCI matches. Not quite sure on this tower location, though. Clear's site map shows an antenna at the Drury, but I guess I didn't recognize the equipment.

Edited by Axe

Just in case anyone was wondering about the 'throttling' Sprint is supposedly using. I've been in numerous high traffic areas throughout St Louis the past week (during peak hours) and I didn't get throttled down once, at least not anywhere close to noticeable. I also used 25gb's of data last billing cycle(just reset this morning), abnormally high for me(streaming Netflix in HD while at hospitals waiting for various people to get out of surgery) which should more than adequately qualify me to be in the top 5%. So either that supposed 5gb threshold was quite a bit off or their really being effective and smart with this, to the point that the person being managed is still having a decent experience.

Edited by kojitsari
  • Like 5

Just in case anyone was wondering about the 'throttling' Sprint is supposedly using. I've been in numerous high traffic areas throughout St Louis the past week (during peak hours) and I didn't get throttled down once, at least not anywhere close to noticeable. I also used 25gb's of data last billing cycle(just reset this morning), abnormally high for me(streaming Netflix in HD while at hospitals waiting for various people to get out of surgery) which should more than adequately qualify me to be in the top 5%. So either that supposed 5gb threshold was quite a bit off or their really being effective and smart with this, to the point that the person being managed is still having a decent experience.

June 10th til July 4th I'm at 23.65gb. I know they haven't started throttling yet cause I would be with you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Headed to forest park for the parade and fair today. Hopefully sprint fairs well. (no pun intended)

Sprint maps show it as a turbo area. We'll see just how accurate that is. I think they've grossly overestimated the turbo zones with what is deployed right now.

• Like 1

So as I figured no band 41 in the park where I am, but plain old 25 is giving me 5-7 down/5 up pretty reliably.

EDIT: In a band 41 area now and it's doing well! Signal is sitting around -100 RSRP and I grabbed this:

a8upepy4.jpg

I suspect that the towers are configured to prioritize download considering the low upload speed.

EDIT2: Verizon has a COW set up here

ynyza2eh.jpg

• Like 1

June 10th til July 4th I'm at 23.65gb. I know they haven't started throttling yet cause I would be with you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I also use quite a bit of data per use cycle around 10-15 GB a month. I also have had no problems with throttling. But I have heard a few different places that Sprint dropped their throttling policy because of net neutrality criticisms. And hearing everyones' experiences im beginning to believe its true.

I also use quite a bit of data per use cycle around 10-15 GB a month. I also have had no problems with throttling. But I have heard a few different places that Sprint dropped their throttling policy because of net neutrality criticisms. And hearing everyones' experiences im beginning to believe its true.

I doubt that, and I'll continue to doubt until I see proof otherwise. I fully believe Sprint is and will use their version of throttling. I just believe they're doing it so well that we can't even notice, it just seems like normal network fluctuations to us while its occurring. To be honest they'd be stupid to not use it, letting one person camp a sector and completely bog down one band of LTE in an urban area is not acceptable. Think about it like this. Say someone decided to illegally tether their phone on a sector or two that services Forest park over this weekend. It'd take the usable decent speeds Evan got of 5/5mbs and probably make them legacy 3g speeds of less than 1mb for every other person on that/those sectors. How is it fair to let one ignorant bastard ruin all those peoples experience over their holiday fun? Or more importantly ruin the perception of Sprint's network for every person there? We need more people to become customers of Sprint, not less, so that they have capital to work with to keep the network in good condition, let us have our unlimited data, and hopefully put the current big two in their place.

I doubt that, and I'll continue to doubt until I see proof otherwise. I fully believe Sprint is and will use their version of throttling. I just believe they're doing it so well that we can't even notice, it just seems like normal network fluctuations to us while its occurring. To be honest they'd be stupid to not use it, letting one person camp a sector and completely bog down one band of LTE in an urban area is not acceptable. Think about it like this. Say someone decided to illegally tether their phone on a sector or two that services Forest park over this weekend. It'd take the usable decent speeds Evan got of 5/5mbs and probably make them legacy 3g speeds of less than 1mb for every other person on that/those sectors. How is it fair to let one ignorant bastard ruin all those peoples experience over their holiday fun? Or more importantly ruin the perception of Sprint's network for every person there? We need more people to become customers of Sprint, not less, so that they have capital to work with to keep the network in good condition, let us have our unlimited data, and hopefully put the current big two in their place.

Everything you said is hopfully true. I didnt say I believed they dropped their throttling policy completly just said they are not going by the rules specifically as they said when they announced it. If they are throttling and keeping the network speeds higher across the board that is great.

Everything you said is hopfully true. I didnt say I believed they dropped their throttling policy completly just said they are not going by the rules specifically as they said when they announced it. If they are throttling and keeping the network speeds higher across the board that is great.

The rule is the top 5% of data users. As far as I know, there's no way for you to know whether you fall into that category. If you were thinking about the 5GB figure, that was an example not the precedent.

Oh, that does make more sense. Thank you for clarifying. Could you possibly link or pm the places you saw/read about the supposed changes?

The rule is the top 5% of data users. As far as I know, there's no way for you to know whether you fall into that category. If you were thinking about the 5GB figure, that was an example not the precedent.

I was going off my being way above the supposed 5gig =top 5% rough estimate. That and the fact that I know the areas I was at were receiving large amounts of traffic, so it would be a perfect cause for Sprint to implement the policy. I even tested it by purposely streaming HD shows and doing a sustained 1gb download simultaneously (after the initial buffer of course lol).

So as I figured no band 41 in the park where I am, but plain old 25 is giving me 5-7 down/5 up pretty reliably.

EDIT: In a band 41 area now and it's doing well! Signal is sitting around -100 RSRP and I grabbed this

Depending where you're at, there's some great B26 in Forest Park. I haven't had any problems at/around the zoo.

This kind of coverage would be unthinkable a year ago. The progress has been unreal.

• Like 1

Depending where you're at, there's some great B26 in Forest Park. I haven't had any problems at/around the zoo.

This kind of coverage would be unthinkable a year ago. The progress has been unreal.

I didn't even need to drop to 26 where I was at. I was on art hill when I had band 41 and had band 25 everywhere else (points east of art hill, mainly by the history museum.)