Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Posted this over sponsor side but realized I probably should have posted it here for better responses.

Did anyone notice abnormally high ping times (150+) this past week? Today it was back down to ~50 for the first time, but all last week it was high.

Posted this over sponsor side but realized I probably should have posted it here for better responses.

Did anyone notice abnormally high ping times (150+) this past week? Today it was back down to ~50 for the first time, but all last week it was high.

Yes, and yesterday I had issues receiving texts in the chesterfield valley. It took multiple reboots to get them to come through. Mine sent out and received to the other person, theirs sent and I couldn't receive (they're on att).

Yes, and yesterday I had issues receiving texts in the chesterfield valley. It took multiple reboots to get them to come through. Mine sent out and received to the other person, theirs sent and I couldn't receive (they're on att).

I had friends with Att having issues with text in general yesterday and att told them they were having issues

I had friends with Att having issues with text in general yesterday and att told them they were having issues

Hah! I knew it had to be att, Sprint has never failed me when I'm in an upgraded to NV standards area. Sure sometimes my data might only be 15mbs down but my texts always send.

On a side tangent Sprint has bypassed att coverage and quality wise everywhere I've been in Missouri. This has been noted by comparing my n5 to an iPhone 5s on att. which gets about the same rf as my nexus when both are on att.

Has anyone gotten a call from sprint at a 636-642-4488 number? They left a voicemail and said it was regarding a service alert on my account. Since I'm not the account holder (I'm just the main line on our account) I was curious if anyone could tell me what it'd be for? I have used quite a bit of data this month(over that 5%, 5gig mark) and I know our bill is due, would it be for that? Or there's a tower near me that's completely legacy from what I can tell of the panels, would they do something like this if they're planning on taking the tower offline to upgrade(it's the closest one to my house)?

The past few days my home tower has had cables dangling. Today there was someone on it, here's hoping for LTE love soon! Just in time for me to leave of course... I couldn't get a picture because I was on the highway:/.

what is classified as a high ping time on Sprint LTE?

I'm at the Lake of the Ozarks on the south side near Camdenton (where the little niangua meets the big niangua) and am getting the best and consistent LTE speeds I have seen on B25 with 32Mbps down and 8 Mbps up. Anybody else seeing new B25 LTE coverage at the lake?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/921950887

what is classified as a high ping time on Sprint LTE?

According to Network Vision programming plans with OEM's, a ping above 90ms at integration is a fail. The OEM would have to go back and isolate the problem and fix it if the issue is other than backhaul. And if the issue is backhaul, they have to report it so the backhaul vendor can address it.

One thing to remember though is Sprint LTE is not limited to one connection to the DDC/Data Core. In past networks, a site was only tied to one MSC/DDC. However, Sprint has set up dynamic connections to their LTE sites. If the DDC that a site has a primary connection to experiences high traffic demand that could impact performance, or even goes completely down, the Sprint network can on the fly change which DDC to connect to.

This is a great system and helps prevent complete shut downs of LTE. Interestingly, this is what contributed to the infamous Verizon LTE blackouts early in their LTE network days.

However, the biggest disadvantage of having sites dynamically rerouted is that it does effect ping when it happens. And possibly even the peak speed a little. It's better than the slow down or stoppage that would occur at the DDC if it did not get rerouted to another DDC. But it does indeed impact pings.

I remember when they shut down a DDC that affected Texas and Louisiana markets, pings stayed around 150ms for a few weeks. Then dropped back down to normal when traffic was back to its primary default routes.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

According to Network Vision programming plans with OEM's, a ping above 90ms at integration is a fail. The OEM would have to go back and isolate the problem and fix it if the issue is other than backhaul. And if the issue is backhaul, they have to report it so the backhaul vendor can address it.

One thing to remember though is Sprint LTE is not limited to one connection to the DDC/Data Core. In past networks, a site was only tied to one MSC/DDC. However, Sprint has set up dynamic connections to their LTE sites. If the DDC that a site has a primary connection to experiences high traffic demand that could impact performance, or even goes completely down, the Sprint network can on the fly change which DDC to connect to.

This is a great system and helps prevent complete shut downs of LTE. Interestingly, this is what contributed to the infamous Verizon LTE blackouts early in their LTE network days.

However, the biggest disadvantage of having sites dynamically rerouted is that it does effect ping when it happens. And possibly even the peak speed a little. It's better than the slow down or stoppage that would occur at the DDC if it did not get rerouted to another DDC. But it does indeed impact pings.

I remember when they shut down a DDC that affected Texas and Louisiana markets, pings stayed around 150ms for a few weeks. Then dropped back down to normal when traffic was back to its primary default routes.

What's the best way to report consistently high ping to sprint?

What's the best way to report consistently high ping to sprint?

You don't. They don't guarantee a ping speed. And they know the issue exists. They probably created the issue by temporary routing. Very common in areas where lots of sites are coming online. If the default DDC is not ready for the traffic the sites assigned to it are producing, they have to reroute for a period to a DDC that has spare capacity until the default DDC is ready. It is what it is.

• Like 1

So I was at the Gray Summit exit off I-44 & Hwy 100 West and I picked up this.... High Ridge is quite a distance away

sabagagy.jpg

Well apparently the screen updated before I grabbed it but it said like 3xxx Maxwell Dr High Ridge I believe 1x800

New b26 in Washington, speeds are still above 20mb/s on b25 even with the added people for the kickoff of the fair

ysu9a9em.jpg

I'm at the Lake of the Ozarks on the south side near Camdenton (where the little niangua meets the big niangua) and am getting the best and consistent LTE speeds I have seen on B25 with 32Mbps down and 8 Mbps up. Anybody else seeing new B25 LTE coverage at the lake?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/921950887

I live in camdenton and get weak lte, but still get a good 8 up. Tower closest to me isn't up yet. Great improvement from 3g.

Rickie

sent on my LG G2

• Like 1

Camping out on b26 at the Washington fair. I did find a cow, but I'm not sure if it's Sprint or not (and I know this b26 is from the local tower). B26 is holding up nicely and b25 is a couple mb/s lower but still totally usable. Heck I could steam Netflix if I wanted to lol.

bemu9agy.jpg4upyva9a.jpg

Camping out on b26 at the Washington fair. I did find a cow, but I'm not sure if it's Sprint or not (and I know this b26 is from the local tower). B26 is holding up nicely and b25 is a couple mb/s lower but still totally usable. Heck I could steam Netflix if I wanted to lol.

bemu9agy.jpg4upyva9a.jpg

That's a band 25 ID not 26.

That's a band 25 ID not 26.

Yes I know, I didn't bother getting a b26 screen shot because it wasn't even close to overloaded. I thought that was self explanatory, my bad :P.

So they just hooked up fiber to one of the two towers closest to my house! Both aren't upgraded yet, but one has it to the tower for sure!! They had to cut through a bunch of trees to get to it, so its very evident.

Edit: by hooked up I mean its there, not that it's live.

Edited by kojitsari

Anyone been in sedalia mo recently? If so how's service? I'll be at the state fair for the next two days.

Been fully upgraded for some time. Also a semi-permanent COW for the fair. Sedalia is actually in the Kansas market, just FYI. 

• Like 1

If anyone from the Springfield area still lingers on here,

6 of the remaining sites have building permits approved! (nearly 10 months later...)

Progress!!

In addition, I got a text this afternoon informing me that upgrades are coming to one of the towers I use most. Since my home sites are upgraded, I assume this is for the site I connect to at work, which also happens to be a site that just had a permit approved. 

Unfortunately, there has been no movement on the site that covers the mall area (highest traffic area in the city). 

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. Movement at last. I was going good to PM you about this a couple of days ago but decided to wait. I'll be interested to see if they manage to make the end of September.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. Movement at last. I was going good to PM you about this a couple of days ago but decided to wait. I'll be interested to see if they manage to make the end of September.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hopefully now that they finally seem to have figured out the permit system, and have a plan for the poles that SGF seems to approve of, approval for the remaining sites should come fairly quickly. 

However, I have yet to see a permit pulled for the mall site. That being said, I pick up B26 from the site on hwy 60, and the Evans & 65 site near the mall, so having nearby sites upgraded may help improve the experience if you have a tri-band device.

I'll also mention that B41 permits have been pulled on at least 3 sites so far...

If anyone from the Springfield area still lingers on here,

6 of the remaining sites have building permits approved! (nearly 10 months later...)

Progress!!

In addition, I got a text this afternoon informing me that upgrades are coming to one of the towers I use most. Since my home sites are upgraded, I assume this is for the site I connect to at work, which also happens to be a site that just had a permit approved.

Unfortunately, there has been no movement on the site that covers the mall area (highest traffic area in the city).

That's good news, I'm going to spending about one weekend every month down there. Nice to know I should have decent service:P.