Galaxy S22 thread

PythonFanPA

I don't appear to see a Galaxy S22 thread, so starting one.  

Anyone still on Sprint billing able to figure out how you find trade in deal/promotion, particularly if you're still in installments on an S21?  Supposedly 'up to $500 off' for regular Sprint plans with trade in from what I've Googled.

However, if I go in in upgrade mode on my account, and I try the one-time-payoff method going through my online account, while it does finally open up the 'offers' portion, none of them gives any installment or single purchase discounts....it's only the default $33.34/month installment option or $799 for a 256GB S22 (basic)

If I choose to continue my existing remaining installments, then and only then and only then does it show a discount, and only in secondary installments for the new phone (cut in half down to $17.13/mo), but no discount option on the pay upfront path, still $799 there.  And it doesn't make it clear if you have to immediately trade in the S21 to get that discount if you're still continuing with the installments.  

Bottom line:   I was assuming you could choose to trade in your current phone, ending current installments or worst case doing a one-time remaining balance payoff immediately then turning it in, and getting either/or discount option....but the system doesn't appear to be behaving that way.

I just paid off my remaining balance 
I saw someone on twitter mention they were offered $1,000 trade in credit over the span of 24 months from Sprint/Tmobile. 
I would prefer to buy directly from Samsung but it looks like they don't have the Sprint with Tmobile version. 
I rather get a $800 trade in from Samsung out the gate only owing them $200+ vs being locked in with Sprint/Tmoble 24 months. 

I am torn on what to do with this upgrade 

$1,000 trade in for my Note S20 Ultra is a good deal but I hate the 24 month credit scheme because If I wanted to upgrade to the S23 Ultra in a year I basically lose out on my trade in value. 

I have not found any good cellular specs on the s22 bands and CAs.  The later is where I expect the action is especially for AT&T.  Obviously will need to pull apart the s22 FCC certification tests along with s21 for comparison.  The x65 modem indicated 3 new bands more or less, but s22 could be slightly different.

n53 2483
n70 1700
n259 41000

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

I have not found any good cellular specs on the s22 bands and CAs.  The later is where I expect the action is especially for AT&T.  Obviously will need to pull apart the s22 FCC certification tests along with s21 for comparison.  The x65 modem indicated 3 new bands more or less, but s22 could be slightly different.

n53 2483
n70 1700
n259 41000

T-mobile lists the bands as follows:

GSM: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz; LTE: 2, 4, 5, 12, 46, 48, 66, 71; LTE Roaming: 1, 3, 7, 8, 13, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 38, 39, 40, 41; UMTS: Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850); 5G: n5, n25, n41, n66, n71, n260, n261

I have also heard that the bands you mention will roll out as a software update because they just got FCC approval. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

T-mobile lists the bands as follows:

GSM: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz; LTE: 2, 4, 5, 12, 46, 48, 66, 71; LTE Roaming: 1, 3, 7, 8, 13, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 38, 39, 40, 41; UMTS: Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850); 5G: n5, n25, n41, n66, n71, n260, n261

I have also heard that the bands you mention will roll out as a software update because they just got FCC approval. 

No N77?  And it's weird that B25 is listed as roaming

I think somebody just didn’t do their homework and missed/mixed everything up. There’s no reason n77 C-band, n77 DOD and n258 wouldn’t be there and enabled IMO. These will be crucial bands for T-Mo going forward for extra capacity, especially when dumb and dumber really get rolling. Maybe waiting to list and enable until after deployment begins.

Here's my concern, for anyone knowledgeable enough:   I'm still in technically former Shentel country in central PA. I paid off the balance for my S21, and  I'd prefer to go through the Samsung 36 month offer direct from them for an S22+.   

However, if I get the TMobile variant, can I use my existing Sprint sim card from the S21 in it, or otherwise would I still be able to contact support to get a Sprint sim card to stay on that angle vs. native TMO until things change in terms of network work around here?  Or also, could I get the unlocked version and a Sprint sim card work in that as another option (i've never tried going unlocked version before)?  

2 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Here's my concern, for anyone knowledgeable enough:   I'm still in technically former Shentel country in central PA. I paid off the balance for my S21, and  I'd prefer to go through the Samsung 36 month offer direct from them for an S22+.   

However, if I get the TMobile variant, can I use my existing Sprint sim card from the S21 in it, or otherwise would I still be able to contact support to get a Sprint sim card to stay on that angle vs. native TMO until things change in terms of network work around here?  Or also, could I get the unlocked version and a Sprint sim card work in that as another option (i've never tried going unlocked version before)?  

I saw a comment somewhere that went as follows.   Any S-22 WILL be on the T-Mobile network.  Will NOT work with a Sprint network Sim.  It also mentioned that an UNLOCKED S-22 was not different than a T-Mobile S-22 as to needing to use a T-Mobile Sim.   Can not find that statement right now, so I can not verify just who put this out.

3 hours ago, chamb said:

I saw a comment somewhere that went as follows.   Any S-22 WILL be on the T-Mobile network.  Will NOT work with a Sprint network Sim.  It also mentioned that an UNLOCKED S-22 was not different than a T-Mobile S-22 as to needing to use a T-Mobile Sim.   Can not find that statement right now, so I can not verify just who put this out.

From what I understand, this has been true for a bunch of the 5G phones per the start of 2021H2 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 12:04 PM, swintec said:

Just doesnt seem like it is much of an upgrade.  the camera definitely isnt, am i wrong?

Looking at the actual specs for the cameras, it's a mixed bag. The "regular" camera got an upgrade, while the telephoto went back to 10MP. (listed below)

There are some upgrades. More 5G bands plus 5G CA. Better processor so hopefully better battery life, even though the battery capacity is the same. I believe the fingerprint reader got an upgrade if you use that. So did face unlock. And obviously a newer version of Android.

It should be noted that in the S21 lineup, they switched things up a little, the S21 was more like the S20FE, the S21+ was more like the S20, and the Ultra was a little more similar to the S20+, though still slightly more souped-up. So your better comparison may actually be from S20+ to S22 Ultra, as painful as the price points may be.

S20+ Camears
1) 12MP Ultra Wide Camera
    Pixel size: 1.4μm
    FOV: 120˚
    F.No (aperture): F2.2
2) 12MP Wide-angle Camera
    Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, OIS
    Pixel size: 1.8μm
    FOV: 79˚
    F.No (aperture): F1.8
    1/1.76" image sensor size
3) 64MP Telephoto Camera
    Pixel size: 0.8μm
    FOV: 76˚
    F.No (aperture): F2.0
4) DepthVision Camera

S22+ Cameras
1) 12MP Ultra Wide Camera
   Pixel size: 1.4μm
   FOV: 120˚
   F.No (aperture): F2.2
   1/2.55" image sensor size
2) 50MP Wide-angle Camera
   Dual Pixel AF, OIS
   Pixel size: 1.0μm (12MP 2.0μm)
   FOV: 85˚
   F.No (aperture): F1.8
   1/1.56" image sensor size
3) 10MP Telephoto Camera
   Pixel size: 1.0μm
   FOV: 36˚
   F.No (aperture): F2.4
   1/3.94" image sensor size
    • Like 2

I ended up preordering the Unlocked version of the S22 Plus 256GB version through Samsung.....the next question is, what is the best approach or ideal from the SIM situation? 

From what I'm reading there's eSIM and physical SIM options for this line.  I've no experience today using eSim functionality in a phone yet, but is it possible to go that route with TMo for these, and even if so, what's the benefit other than the obvious lack of need of a physical card, and are there any issues/quirks etc?

From what I have seen in videos, and it matches DKs assessment.

Not a big jump.

Most notable is the 5g bands.. which if I was a betting man, will be the case for most phones, until some big tech break through comes out.  I think we are done with the huge jumps in phone performance year over year..

But from a 20 to 22 it was like 7 vs 17 bands, plus the CA 

Oh and a drop (wtf is that about) in Ram from 12 to 8

I think we will be upgrading our 20s to 22 (payoff the lease remainder to get the 800-1000 credit for a new one, so around 3-400 for a brammie new 22

Trying to decide if I will get rid of my note 20 ultra

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 6:40 AM, PythonFanPA said:

I ended up preordering the Unlocked version of the S22 Plus 256GB version through Samsung.....the next question is, what is the best approach or ideal from the SIM situation? 

From what I'm reading there's eSIM and physical SIM options for this line.  I've no experience today using eSim functionality in a phone yet, but is it possible to go that route with TMo for these, and even if so, what's the benefit other than the obvious lack of need of a physical card, and are there any issues/quirks etc?

So, at least per claim of an account chat rep while logged into my account....the SIM from an S21 will work in the newer S22 line.  I thought I'd read otherwise....or maybe she was assuming I was already using a TMo SIM vs a Sprint SIM card?

I've pre-ordered S22 ultras to replace both my T-Mobile and AT&T lines. I've had the tracking info for a week now and it's just been on label created status but today both have changed to in transit and both show delivery ETA of Monday. So if it holds true it looks like they may be shipping out early again! Original estimated delivery was Friday the 25th for both.

• Like 2