Dish Network/Boost Mobile cell/5G buildout thread

PythonFanPA

On 5/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, Trip said:

Do you happen to have a link for how to disable the CSC switch when you put a SIM in?  I haven't successfully found any steps for that, and not for lack of searching.  I must be using the wrong search terms or something.  I really need to stop one of my devices from doing that.

I'm just looking to map stuff, but without spending a bunch of money on a monthly service plan.  The most I spend on any given "mapping device" is $10/mo for US Cellular, which I only have to put money on when I'm actually using it.  The rest are $5/mo or less (some are free).  I'd love to get the Boost $100/year plan but I hear that one can't be activated on the Rainbow SIM.  Very frustrating.

I'm hoping that if I can somehow get my hands on an unactivated Rainbow SIM, that will make it possible to map.  Problem, at this point, is actually getting one of those.

- Trip

Which phone?  My experience is it always has to be redone after each sim or esim change.

I was trying with my A52 or A32, I don't remember which.  But even after I changed the CSC, it would immediately detect the SIM in it and reboot to switch the CSC back.

- Trip

• Sad 1

https://www.lightreading.com/open-ran/dish-eyes-major-energy-savings-thanks-to-ric/d/d-id/784901?

So how would powering down some of the equipment affect service? I assume more burden would be placed on n71. but maybe powering down just refers capacity and not coverage.  Maybe someone like @ingenium knows?  AT&T had previously talked about this several years ago, but never hear of any details or actual implementation.

16 hours ago, dkyeager said:

https://www.lightreading.com/open-ran/dish-eyes-major-energy-savings-thanks-to-ric/d/d-id/784901?

So how would powering down some of the equipment affect service? I assume more burden would be placed on n71. but maybe powering down just refers capacity and not coverage.  Maybe someone like @ingenium knows?  AT&T had previously talked about this several years ago, but never hear of any details or actual implementation.

From what I have seen on this subject, it involves both tower and data center server shutdowns during times of low usage.  The data center work is common by many companies where they find areas that have multiple servers providing capacity and have some of them go to sleep when they are not needed and wake up when they are needed.  The sleep and wake cycles can be time based or based on actual usage or some combination of the two.

Tower coverage is not supposed to be impacted by these shutdowns but capacity definitely is.  This means that a computer program running in their data center will be analyzing each tower's usage and will attempt to detect the speed that all the users are getting from that tower and will track if some part of the higher frequency bandwidth is not being used.  If those frequencies have not been used for some period of time it will be shutdown and if the lower bandwidths get to some level of higher usage, they will started back up.  The sleep and wake cycles can be time based or based on actual usage or some combination of the two.

• 3 weeks later...

And the hotspot is no longer available.  S22 has been replaced with the Moto Edge+.  Plan was reduced from $30 to $25.  Does anyone know if this plan allows hotspot? T&C says that hotspot is allowed on allowed plans basically, but the plan doesn't mention if hotspot is available.

It does say additional devices coming soon.  Hopefully another hotspot option.  I was afraid something like this was gonna happen soon.

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PythonFanPA said:

Looks like Project Genesis is available in my area now too which is a plus. I don’t feel like dropping $400 on a Motorola Edge though lol. 

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

Looks like Project Genesis is available in my area now too which is a plus. I don’t feel like dropping $400 on a Motorola Edge though lol. 

This is my problem.  I see no reason why I should have to spend a mint on a high-end phone and expensive service just to test it.  I want to get like a Samsung A23 or a Motorola that I can bootloader unlock, I'm even willing to buy them full price, and the $100/year Boost service.  Cheap and easy.  Given how much they're depending on AT&T and T-Mobile to support their operations, you'd think they'd want people who are using relatively small amount of data to live on their own network.

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/2/2023 at 2:14 PM, red_dog007 said:

And the hotspot is no longer available.  S22 has been replaced with the Moto Edge+.  Plan was reduced from $30 to $25.  Does anyone know if this plan allows hotspot? T&C says that hotspot is allowed on allowed plans basically, but the plan doesn't mention if hotspot is available.

It does say additional devices coming soon.  Hopefully another hotspot option.  I was afraid something like this was gonna happen soon.

The Moto has n70 though, which will give you 50-150 Mbps more than the hotspot does.

Planning on cancelling my hotspot line and ordering the phone as it's got a better modem and better band support for Dish...and I've unlocked the hotspot anyway so I can use it for Boost/AT&T :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got back home last night, and my Edge+ 2023 was there. Hit 500 Mbps down indoors on an extended (10 GB) download. Have also seen 60 Mbps up when near a cell site. There are still kinks in the network, but given how much spectrum Dish has, the performance is pretty impressive. IIRC they'll aggregate 70+71+66 here when signal strength allows, so that's 20+25+10 MHz down here, 15 MHz up (no UL CA yet).

• Like 3

4RjvboX.jpg

AJ

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Photographed last week Thursday 7/20/2023.  Site live today Monday 7/24/2023.

jSXrYvG.png

GksD1t2.jpg

MUedtto.png

AJ

• Like 4

16 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

Photographed last week Thursday 7/20/2023.  Site live today Monday 7/24/2023.

Are you in the SignalCheck BETA? Would love to see these sites on the map…

• Like 1

I really should get a DISH account and start tracking.  I feel like I'm missing out on something.  LOL

Robert

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

I really should get a DISH account and start tracking.  I feel like I'm missing out on something.  LOL

Robert

All they have to do is make it cheaper to do.  I'd already have one if it wasn't a full price phone and $25 or $30/mo!

- Trip

• Like 3

On 7/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, Trip said:

All they have to do is make it cheaper to do.  I'd already have one if it wasn't a full price phone and $25 or $30/mo!

- Trip

It's not a full price phone though. $400 for the Edge+ is pretty solid as that's easily a flagship. Same league as as a Galaxy S23+ but $200 cheaper at retail.

57 minutes ago, iansltx said:

It's not a full price phone though. $400 for the Edge+ is pretty solid as that's easily a flagship. Same league as as a Galaxy S23+ but $200 cheaper at retail.

I've never paid more than $150 for any of my "logger phones," and have tried to stay under $100.  $400 is way too much, especially since I have no idea if it's rootable or otherwise able to be band locked.

That said, I'd still consider paying it if the service were cheaper.  The most I pay for service on any given device is $10/mo for US Cellular prepaid, which I only pay for as needed.

- Trip

• Like 1

I bought the Moto Edge+ 2023 from Project Genesis in June and they haven't charged me since the first month.  Apparently if you use their Project Genesis app and get Founder level, they give you up to 21 months of service for free. 

That said, my area is lack luster coverage but the At&t roaming is nice.  Really enjoy the device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

What kinda stuff they have you do?

They have you check on daily at a new location with wifi turned off, make 10 phone calls, send 10 texts, and the rest you can pretty much bs like playing a game. Watching a video, searching a few times on Google. Etc.  I finish the daily tasks in a few minutes every day and I'm almost at founder level since I started early June.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:34 AM, S4GRU said:

Robert

Same

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ascertion said:

They have you check on daily at a new location with wifi turned off, make 10 phone calls, send 10 texts, and the rest you can pretty much bs like playing a game. Watching a video, searching a few times on Google. Etc.  I finish the daily tasks in a few minutes every day and I'm almost at founder level since I started early June.

Well that's cool. I think I'd be willing to do that. Ive been wanting to get a hotspot.

Did you have to be invited? How does one get sign up information after you get the device?

On 8/2/2023 at 7:22 PM, red_dog007 said:

Well that's cool. I think I'd be willing to do that. Ive been wanting to get a hotspot.

Did you have to be invited? How does one get sign up information after you get the device?

Hotspot is no more, as the device they're using doesn't support n70. So it's Moto Edge 2023 or nothing. Flip side is, it's dual SIM AT&T + DishNet so it's a pretty solid deal for what it is IMO.

The Genesis app is preloaded on the device, so no need to go through any invite process etc. to be able to do the gamified network testing. Just open the app and after a signup screen or two you'll have the ability to participate in the gamified stuff.

I'm currently at the Pro tier but I figure I'll hit Founder by the end of this month. I'd get it sooner, but I've kinda fallen out of the habit of running through the exercises. Got Pro mid-last-month and then went out of the country for a bit. One of the Pro tier gifts is a branded Bluetooth speaker that includes a wireless charger, and the speaker...isn't horrible.

• Like 1