Dish Network/Boost Mobile cell/5G buildout thread

PythonFanPA

37 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Let’s see how long that’s lasts. Remember when T-Mobile launched their “One” plan. 

i agree.  Makes sense if they are selling through their existing agents who are generally burnt out from all their sim/carrier changes.Would also reduce the cost of marketing and could raise stock price.  However, it may being going after a different market in the better off suburbs. 

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/apple-iphone-14-support-band-70-big-win-dish-analysts

I would also expect this in the s23 in February, given the x70 modem is supposed to support all commercial frequencies.

Im pretty excited to trade in the old S22 for the S23 when it comes.  Samsung has excellent trade-in deals.

Excited to also be part of the growth of Dish. Great prices.  Hopefully once I start using their network the transition to their roaming partners is seamless. 

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/attachments/attachmentViewRD.jsp?applType=search&fileKey=829925382&attachmentKey=21467589&attachmentInd=applAttach

Interesting opposition to FCC filing.  IMO this is likely on of the entities that Dish setup to get a special discount.

• 4 weeks later...

Albuquerque network seems to be getting a bit more reliable, with 200/10+ speeds becoming a little more common on my Nighthawk. Additionally, they seem to be routing AT&T roaming through closer AWS Local Zones rather than always through major regions, though that's inconsistent. On the other hand, T-Mobile roaming seems to be routed through Local Zones, and is live on hotspot lines:

So now Project Genesis is, if you're willing to pay the latency penalty, unlimited hotspot on 2.5 different networks (sorry, native DishNet) for $20 per month. Easily the best deal in wireless out there.

• Like 2

Dish has struggled with Boost. In the second quarter it dropped another 210,000 retail wireless net subscribers, bringing its total number of wireless subscribers to 7.87 million. The company has lost 1.1 million wireless customers since it acquired Boost Mobile.”

Oh well. I guess Charlie could only deny reality for so long…

Sprint 2: Electric Boogaloo

9 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Dish has struggled with Boost. In the second quarter it dropped another 210,000 retail wireless net subscribers, bringing its total number of wireless subscribers to 7.87 million. The company has lost 1.1 million wireless customers since it acquired Boost Mobile.”

Oh well. I guess Charlie could only deny reality for so long…

Sprint 2: Electric Boogaloo

I think the reality is most customers (and staff) could tolerate one sim change.  Two was confusing.  The prospect of a third change has not been explained at all.

Personally, I see interesting technical prospects.  But will that sell?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dkyeager said:

I think the reality is most customers (and staff) could tolerate one sim change.  Two was confusing.  The prospect of a third change has not been explained at all.

Seems like this is planned to be a SPAC spinoff to inject capital into Dish for more network build. Dish could keep the roaming/MVNO agreements on their side, but guarantee comparable terms to Boost for an extended period...and include per-GB pricing on DishNet lower than any of the roaming to incentivize Boost to stay with them (say, 40 cents per GB to T-Mobile/AT&T's $1).

• Like 2

That is interesting.  Guess Boost Infinite would be its own thing still?

I think it makes sense to try and flip it.  They would get a cash infusion and not like any of those customers are on Dish's network. If they try to migrate them it'll be costly and they'll likely still lose millions. 

I wonder if they would keep the my.boostmobile customers?  Don't really understand why those two things are still separate.

• Like 1

It would not surprise me if the Boost Mobile agreements with their dealers are very unstructured, thus cause management issues.  Diary Queen was/is? that way.  Many of their franchise agreements were reportedly written on napkins. I have seen al sorts of items sold in Boost Mobile locations.  nTelos was the same way.  Of course many of these sites may be bill paying locations since some of their customers may be unbanked.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 3:43 PM, dkyeager said:

Based on the dates here (https://ir.dish.com/financial-information/quarterly-results), we should be getting Dish's Q3 report for 2022 in the next couple of weeks. I just don't see how they turn Boost around.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, iansltx said:

Seems like this is planned to be a SPAC spinoff to inject capital into Dish for more network build. Dish could keep the roaming/MVNO agreements on their side, but guarantee comparable terms to Boost for an extended period...and include per-GB pricing on DishNet lower than any of the roaming to incentivize Boost to stay with them (say, 40 cents per GB to T-Mobile/AT&T's $1).

How much capital could they expect to raise at the rate they're losing customers? We'll see the new churn figures in a couple of weeks, but I bet they're quite high.

• 2 weeks later...

Dish reported today that it gained about 1,000 wireless subscribers last quarter, ending at just above 8 million.  Wireless churn rate was 4.28%.  126,000 lost to the T-Mobile CDMA shutdown, or about 1.5%.  ARPU continues to slowly fall.

https://ir.dish.com/news-releases/news-release-details/dish-network-reports-third-quarter-2022-financial-results

• Like 2

Source, which will disappear in 48 hours: https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/vhdsgk9d

Analyst question answers:

Dish is using spectrum secured bonds.  SPAC is likely to unwind on the 31st.  They got 139,000 customers from t-Mobile, but not included in numbers.  At 35% of population with 10,000 towers.  600Mhz is very close to requirements.  Boost infinite now in alpha (internal customers). $2 billion offering today for the network going forward. SPAC had high redemptions, but is still intact and a public company.  Want each section of the business to be as self funding as it can be.  Wireless has no debt or capex.  Spac is just one option for retail business, which Ergan sees as a continuing part of their business.   Boost Infinite - want to move our retail presence up market.  Will be in market in the first quarter.  Initially digital then national retail later.  Prepaid customers get a better deal than postpaid. They want the better return of postpaid business which is actually less competitive.  As new entrant they will be at a better price with better service.  Boost infinite will start with AT&T and band 70.  They feel they have a good playbook for moving customers. [lol]  Will preload band 70 into our devices in 2023.  Not a need to move t-mobile customers, who are happy, to AT&T.  We would rather move customers to our network to get owners economics.  There will be an M&A window after the election for Dish TV. Synergies important in a declining industry.  Unless they waste the money, the government cover every man woman and child with broadband in the next few years.  They plan on moving long term customers to band 70 devices for use on their own network.  There is a section of customer you don't want to move because their handsets are not up-gradable or you are going to lose them due to churn.

Boost will have both prepaid and post paid.  prepaid are lower ROI customer.  fixed wireless is use it or lose it in terms of excess spectrum.

Hearing from commercial customers that access to CBRS or WiFi is not sufficient.  They need more than one band of licensed spectrum.   We are actually in a good position with our multi band spectrum today.  Expect momentum to pickup in 2023 in terms of private networks.  We have the ability to get 25% of that business.  Not high revenue but not a lot of work and obviously very profitable. 

Really just looking for growth capital [in terms of SPAC I think].  In postpaid customers are so profitable you want to grow as fast as you can.

$2 billion is needed to over 70% coverage to reach FCC requirements. will be in spitting distance of 75% for 600MHz.   Roaming costs will then be how they determine where to build towers after that. 

Satellite to streaming?  Sling had a strong quarter. Dish is focused on a more rural older demographic profile.  Want to keep customers in the overall Dish ecosystem. Customers like broadcast TV.

Hybrid MVNO network?  How will you describe the amount of traffic to can send over your own versus MVNO.  The last 30% cost as much as the first 70%.  Only want to own profitable towers.  30 million subscriber in retail wireless is their goal.  T-Mobile is running away with the market.  Largest stock value.  We have another way to compete with them rather than cap-ex [everywhere].

Need to migrate off the legacy T-Mobile [, AT&T, ] and Boost systems. Good long term use of their money.  10Q was written a little bit different. We have enough cash at DBS to pay off their debt.

Media questions:

Does Dish still have an edge? The other national firms are held down by their legacy systems [more or less].  We have a significant architectural advantage.

Third party integration?  We use them on both revenue and cost side.  5g build specifically?  We will get back to you since we did not answer your question right.

Edited by dkyeager
written in two parts. All paraphrased.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Dish reported today that it gained about 1,000 wireless subscribers last quarter, ending at just above 8 million.  Wireless churn rate was 4.28%.  126,000 lost to the T-Mobile CDMA shutdown, or about 1.5%.  ARPU continues to slowly fall.

https://ir.dish.com/news-releases/news-release-details/dish-network-reports-third-quarter-2022-financial-results

That churn is a company killer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not seeing n70 in the S23 series FCC certifications (posted in S23 thread).