Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-changes-leadership-organizational-roles

VP Callie Field moved out of T-Mobile customer support. A lot of reddit folks will be quite happy.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-changes-leadership-organizational-roles

VP Callie Field moved out of T-Mobile customer support. A lot of reddit folks will be quite happy.

Sounds like a change for the better. Probably a long time coming.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Sounds like a change for the better. Probably a long time coming.

My hope is they will final get moving on converting Sprint billing to T-Mobile. Banks often hire consulting firms to do this with tight deadlines.

Having just one billing system would cleanup the entire sales side making new approaches/structures possible.  The focus of store personnel could final shift back to bringing in new customers and solving regular customer issues rather than old Sprint quirks.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dkyeager said:

My hope is they will final get moving on converting Sprint billing to T-Mobile. Banks often hire consulting firms to do this with tight deadlines.

Having just one billing system would cleanup the entire sales side making new approaches/structures possible.  The focus of store personnel could final shift back to bringing in new customers and solving regular customer issues rather than old Sprint quirks.

That's a good point.

Synergy is going to drive this. T-Mobile has talked about how much money it's saving from synergies on its earnings calls, and the billing system is a big one. When they're able to finally deprecate Sprint's system, hopefully they can put those funds towards network expansion and densification.... or that 2.5 GHz auction that's coming up.

Q4 2021 Earnings Release PDF: https://s24.q4cdn.com/400059132/files/doc_financials/2021/q4/TMUS-12_31_2021-EX-99.1-vFinal.pdf

Q4 2021 Investor Factbook PDF: https://s24.q4cdn.com/400059132/files/doc_financials/2021/q4/TMUS-12_31_2021-EX-99.2-vFinal.pdf

Synergy is mentioned a lot....

Edited by RedSpark
Clarity/Links
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 3:32 PM, RedSpark said:

Should be interesting. Predictions?

Let's say absolute worse case, T-Mobile doesn't win ANY spectrum in that auction.  Would we lose our current 100Mhz N41 channel?  Or how much of a second n41 channel would they be able to use?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clbowens said:

Let's say absolute worse case, T-Mobile doesn't win ANY spectrum in that auction.  Would we lose our current 100Mhz N41 channel?  Or how much of a second n41 channel would they be able to use?

From the auction, nothing should change. However, there are some slivers of spectrum in some metro areas that may be up for auction.  There could also be some areas that lie outside of the radius that could be bought.

The biggest risk is when leases expire.

On the plus side is any spectrum wins could be implemented almost immediately after results are accepted.  For T-Mobile it would be a few settings (and more fiber bandwidth to support it.)

• Like 4

On 3/3/2022 at 5:40 AM, dkyeager said:

This. I just upgraded to the Oneplus 9 Pro 5G and the experience was about as suboptimal as possible for everyone involved.

1.) The Sprint Warehouse ran out of this phone so long ago it's completely deleted from the Sprint web store. This meant the only way to buy it was in store, which means I got to pay the $30 fee for the privilege of transferring all my data at an inconvenient time.

2.) The Sprint tablet they use was buggy on the trade in, so the very nice girl had to go over to the register to enter the IMEI of the of the turn in device for credits. Also, the virtual Sprint register wouldn't print receipts properly, so the girl had to make sure I was ok with email only.

3.) On the the Sprint biller (unlike the T-Mobile biller) credits go away if you pay off early, so I'm rather stuck until the migration. I also note the Sprint biller is only partially aware what this phone is (no photo, inconsistently named in the web UI, and "Tablet-MBB Global Data Service" is offered as an add on)

4.) They probably could get more revenue from me after the migration; I'd gladly upgrade to Max if my line discounts (from old Framily) transfer over like they are doing for old T-Mobile plans...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jf15219 said:

This. I just upgraded to the Oneplus 9 Pro 5G and the experience was about as suboptimal as possible for everyone involved.

1.) The Sprint Warehouse ran out of this phone so long ago it's completely deleted from the Sprint web store. This meant the only way to buy it was in store, which means I got to pay the $30 fee for the privilege of transferring all my data at an inconvenient time.

2.) The Sprint tablet they use was buggy on the trade in, so the very nice girl had to go over to the register to enter the IMEI of the of the turn in device for credits. Also, the virtual Sprint register wouldn't print receipts properly, so the girl had to make sure I was ok with email only.

3.) On the the Sprint biller (unlike the T-Mobile biller) credits go away if you pay off early, so I'm rather stuck until the migration. I also note the Sprint biller is only partially aware what this phone is (no photo, inconsistently named in the web UI, and "Tablet-MBB Global Data Service" is offered as an add on)

4.) They probably could get more revenue from me after the migration; I'd gladly upgrade to Max if my line discounts (from old Framily) transfer over like they are doing for old T-Mobile plans...

I think if we keeping exchanging notes we should be able to determine what factors deter who gets converted first. Then we can make adjustments to speed up our individual prospects. 

I went the route of going to Sprint Max for the network priority. Previously was on ed1500 with high priority and awesome roaming.  The roaming deteriorated then was being throttled.

Did get a "free" line then 4 "free" phones. They seem to have great difficulty understanding Sprint money = T-Mobile money in terms of how "free" phones are handled for billing conversions. Your right, I would at least shift phones around. I have a s21 ultra sitting on Verizon because of this mess

13 hours ago, dkyeager said:

I think if we keeping exchanging notes we should be able to determine what factors deter who gets converted first. Then we can make adjustments to speed up our individual prospects. 

I went the route of going to Sprint Max for the network priority. Previously was on ed1500 with high priority and awesome roaming.  The roaming deteriorated then was being throttled.

Did get a "free" line then 4 "free" phones. They seem to have great difficulty understanding Sprint money = T-Mobile money in terms of how "free" phones are handled for billing conversions. Your right, I would at least shift phones around. I have a s21 ultra sitting on Verizon because of this mess

I'm guessing my plan won't be part of the early migrations, but I'm holding on to this price point for dear life:

image.png

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Substantial progress.

Hopefully once they are done with the marketing check boxes, they will go for more density, not only with n41 but also with n71.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Hopefully once they are done with the marketing check boxes, they will go for more density, not only with n41 but also with n71.

If my region is any indication, they will. I can only think of a handful of towers near me which haven't been upgraded yet. Most are either in weird locations (like a basin), already covered by another tower, or in a NIMBY area. 

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Funny you say this. I just made a post in the North Jersey market thread that T-Mobile has been doing a lot of Sprint conversions and new builds there to increase density. Also in NYC they are starting to ramp up the Sprint site conversions from the looks of it. In rural areas in eastern North Carolina I've seen some new T-Mobile sites appear on Cellmapper that aren't Sprint conversions so they're trying to increase rural density too. We're even seeing T-Mobile start to deploy n41 small cells and mini-macros on Reddit.

It's anecdotal but it seems like they're definitely trying to increase density. 

• Like 4

Interestingly, the letters from T-Mobile’s law firm also said that access to T-Mobile’s 2.5 GHz leases are only known by fewer than .1% of T-Mobile employees. “Employees with access are educated as to the confidential and proprietary nature of the payment and pricing data in the Lease Agreement. Employees also undertake annual trainings on how to protect confidential and proprietary information. The Lease Agreement and its pricing terms are only accessible via a segregated T-Mobile data base."

Auction 108 should be very interesting....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Funny you say this. I just made a post in the North Jersey market thread that T-Mobile has been doing a lot of Sprint conversions and new builds there to increase density. Also in NYC they are starting to ramp up the Sprint site conversions from the looks of it. In rural areas in eastern North Carolina I've seen some new T-Mobile sites appear on Cellmapper that aren't Sprint conversions so they're trying to increase rural density too. We're even seeing T-Mobile start to deploy n41 small cells and mini-macros on Reddit.

It's anecdotal but it seems like they're definitely trying to increase density. 

Some good info here about this: https://www.rcrwireless.com/20220310/carriers/t-mobile-us-says-almost-50-percent-of-traffic-is-carried-on-its-5g-network

According to Neville Ray, president of technology, T-Mobile’s 5G network, including 600 MHz and 2.5 GHz obtained in the Sprint merger, is “very, very close to crossing 50% of traffic” carried, and over 40% of subscribers’ smartphones are 5G-compatible.

Ray discussed the “massive synergies” available to T-Mobile US as it decommissions Sprint cell sites and migrates those customers onto the combined network. He said the decommissioning process would peak mid-year resulting in taking 80% of Sprint’s sites offline; tens of thousands of sites will be decommed throughout 2022.

More context and info here too: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-stokes-mid-band-5g-coverage-rivalry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Interestingly, the letters from T-Mobile’s law firm also said that access to T-Mobile’s 2.5 GHz leases are only known by fewer than .1% of T-Mobile employees. “Employees with access are educated as to the confidential and proprietary nature of the payment and pricing data in the Lease Agreement. Employees also undertake annual trainings on how to protect confidential and proprietary information. The Lease Agreement and its pricing terms are only accessible via a segregated T-Mobile data base."

Auction 108 should be very interesting....

Wow, can you imagine if they handled customers private / sensitive data with such care and security?  Seems they CAN do it, they just dont want to for us peons.  I hope that info gets leaked.

Not sure what’s going on, but over the past couple of weeks I’ve been roaming on AT&T when leaving home for work. It’s only connected for about 5-7 minutes. Just find it odd because I haven’t roamed on their network since I had a Sprint SIM. Also picked up AT&T for a few minutes in the small town of Mayo, FL. 

5 hours ago, 1dante said:

Not sure what’s going on, but over the past couple of weeks I’ve been roaming on AT&T when leaving home for work. It’s only connected for about 5-7 minutes. Just find it odd because I haven’t roamed on their network since I had a Sprint SIM. Also picked up AT&T for a few minutes in the small town of Mayo, FL. 

Were speeds crippled?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...