Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On 9/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, dkyeager said:

Just set SignalCheck Pro to display the ip address (plus turn off wifi) then touch the ip adress and SCP will tell you which wireless carrier is being used.

Dumb question Mine says "Sprint Chicago POP". This is from an LG V60 on B71 when selecting. Shouldn't that say T-Mobile?

8 minutes ago, stlman314 said:

Dumb question Mine says "Sprint Chicago POP". This is from an LG V60 on B71 when selecting. Shouldn't that say T-Mobile?

Which carrier is billing you and which carrier is providing your primary service?

1 minute ago, dkyeager said:

Which carrier is billing you and which carrier is providing your primary service?

Sprint still billing. But phone is always T-MOBILE. Upgraded from my V50 to V60

10 minutes ago, stlman314 said:

Sprint still billing. But phone is always T-MOBILE. Upgraded from my V50 to V60

I would kick this back to iansltx.  It matches what I would expect until a market is converted to a greater degree.  Although we are hearing exceptions now, for roaming to T-Mobile (and back to Sprint if you need it) you need to be on Sprint.

• Like 1

Just now, dkyeager said:

I would kick this back to iansltx.  It matches what I would expect until a market is converted to a greater degree.  Although we are hearing exceptions now, for roaming to T-Mobile (and back to Sprint if you need it) you need to be on Sprint.

So if I lose T-Mobile connection my phone will try and hit Sprint then his roam then no service continue this cycle until I toggle airplane mode or restart. 

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Sprint-billed accounts, as a rule, tunnel through to Sprint's network before going out to the internet, no matter whose towers you're using...international (or domestic) roaming works the same way. T-Mobile's IP network handling Sprint ROAMAHOME devices (e.g. 5G phones) is being trialed.

• Like 2

My native T-Mobile line can now roam on Sprint using the 311-490 PLMN here in Houston. So far, it depends on the device you're using. VoLTE and SMS seem to work fine over all three Sprint bands on my unlocked Pixel using my T-Mobile SIM. Oddly enough, roaming isn't working on my tmobile OnePlus device.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, greenbastard said:

My native T-Mobile line can now roam on Sprint using the 311-490 PLMN here in Houston. So far, it depends on the device you're using. VoLTE and SMS seem to work fine over all three Sprint bands on my unlocked Pixel using my T-Mobile SIM. Oddly enough, roaming isn't working on my tmobile OnePlus device.

Lots more of this being reported in the /r/tmobile Subreddit as well.  Still nothing here in Washington, DC when I try to force roam.  I'm going to try to stop by my office (with a Sprint DAS, but no T-Mobile) later to see if it's enabled there.

Dallas Area: 

Irvine, CA: 

Las Vegas, NV:

central iowa here, i've been trying to force my phone to the sprint network every day for the past week and so far it won't let me on there. i have the oneplus 7t pro 5G phone. tried combinations of selecting the 311490 network as well as disabling all bands except sprints. nothing yet 😕 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmoses said:

central iowa here, i've been trying to force my phone to the sprint network every day for the past week and so far it won't let me on there. i have the oneplus 7t pro 5G phone. tried combinations of selecting the 311490 network as well as disabling all bands except sprints. nothing yet 😕 

I'm wondering if CA was accelerated due to the wildfires.  Better to have two networks at their disposal during this time of need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dewbertdc said:

I'm wondering if CA was accelerated due to the wildfires.  Better to have two networks at their disposal during this time of need.

I doubt T-Mobile would want to run into potential network integration issues during this time. VoLTE works when roaming on Sprint, but it isn't working flawlessly. Sometimes I get no VoLTE and I have to switch the preferred network type to get it working.

This seems more like a region by region rollout.

• Like 2

c3e09bb3882b8bbbb8f4bf6e31989b21.png

4afa8199dc941d097d95a6eb2b009d0e.png

33628972dfd9a2cac54ee622bafe1f50.png

Earlier today at the school in Gates, NY, I noticed my iPhone 11 Pro Max roaming on T-Mobile as it had full service. I then almost hit 200 Mbps download twice. The 1st Speedtest got me 188 followed by the 191. However, five minutes later it defaulted/fell back on Sprint and could barely get over 2 Mbps. I texted these to the math teacher I work with as he has T-Mobile and follows the merger progress on Reddit. To the best of my knowledge he has a Google Pixel 3 and this was the first time my iPhone had speeds similar to him. The fast speeds were short lived but it was exciting to know that the networks are coming together in the Greater Rochester area! [emoji100][emoji390][emoji1430]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marketing fluff aside, there's a pretty good explainer video for MU-MIMO in this press release.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-achieves-mind-blowing-5g-speeds-with-mu-mimo

In tech terms, with 100 MHz of total 5G spectrum in the demonstration, T-Mobile was able to achieve an astonishing 50+ bps/Hz in spectral efficiency. That is much higher than the single digit efficiency typically experienced today. T-Mobile expects to begin deploying this technology next year as they continue the goal of building America’s best 5G network.

Sounds like we can expect 100MHz NR channels next year, after they consolidate/eliminate Sprint B41 LTE.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

Marketing fluff aside, there's a pretty good explainer video for MU-MIMO in this press release.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-achieves-mind-blowing-5g-speeds-with-mu-mimo

Sounds like we can expect 100MHz NR channels next year, after they consolidate/eliminate Sprint B41 LTE.

That's fine and dandy, but seeing so many N41 sites in Houston with only 200-300mbps total backhaul makes me frown. Not much point if T-Mobile isn't going to or is unable to supply the backhaul to support it. Every month I'm thinking more and more that backhaul is going to be biggest hurdle of the 5G race.

There are previous Sprint N41 sites that were able to pull 500mbps+ that T-Mobile is colocated on and now deploying the same N41 themselves topping out at 200mbps at 2AM.

I'm not sure how much of a rush T-Mobile is going to be in to turn off Band 41 LTE.  Quite frankly, they need the capacity for the Sprint customers right now, and my understanding is that the existing NR equipment only does 100 MHz of LTE and/or NR, meaning any remaining spectrum would be wasted if Band 41 LTE were turned off before that NR equipment is, itself, replaced.  I'm actually surprised they're running Band 41 LTE on T-Mobile in this area given that they could just run 100 MHz of NR and be done with it, but they must need the capacity on LTE for their own customers.

If Band 41 LTE is gone at this time next year, my guess is that they either seriously subsidized cheaper NR phones and have much better penetration with those devices than I would expect otherwise, or they've decided to punish LTE customers with poor performance until they upgrade--or leave for AT&T or Verizon.

- Trip

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Trip said:

I'm not sure how much of a rush T-Mobile is going to be in to turn off Band 41 LTE.  Quite frankly, they need the capacity for the Sprint customers right now, and my understanding is that the existing NR equipment only does 100 MHz of LTE and/or NR, meaning any remaining spectrum would be wasted if Band 41 LTE were turned off before that NR equipment is, itself, replaced.  I'm actually surprised they're running Band 41 LTE on T-Mobile in this area given that they could just run 100 MHz of NR and be done with it, but they must need the capacity on LTE for their own customers.

If Band 41 LTE is gone at this time next year, my guess is that they either seriously subsidized cheaper NR phones and have much better penetration with those devices than I would expect otherwise, or they've decided to punish LTE customers with poor performance until they upgrade--or leave for AT&T or Verizon.

- Trip

I don't see B41 LTE going away any time soon, either, but I also don't expect that we'll see 100MHz NR carriers everywhere soon either.

T-Mobile is famous for only deploying capacity where they need it - I can see them reserving 100MHz of their 2.5 for NR but only deploying the full carrier where they know there's demand, leaving the 40-60MHz carriers in place elsewhere.  They could use multiple panels to deliver LTE alongside it, or use the higher-capacity Ericsson AIR 6449 panels that are becoming available to deliver it all.

The breadth of their 2.5GHz spectrum holdings gives them a lot of flexibility, but they've got to clear the legacy Sprint stuff out first...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

T-Mobile is famous for only deploying capacity where they need it

You say this like it's a bad thing, but Shentel does it too and that's the best part of the Sprint network that I've experienced--and I'd argue that some of Sprint's problem has been that it doesn't do this.  Not prioritizing the deployment is how you end up with Band 41 on towers surrounded by corn fields and cow pastures in Fauquier County, but a Band 25 GMO serving multiple shopping centers in Alexandria. 

But to your other point, there's a ton of Sprint 8T8R and MMIMO gear they could recycle in the short term to cover the rest of the Band 41 spectrum; perhaps even just moving it from the Sprint rack to the T-Mobile rack.  Or they could just leave it operating in the current tower position until the T-Mobile gear is upgraded with newer n41 gear and then remove the legacy Band 41 gear at that time.

- Trip

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Trip said:

You say this like it's a bad thing, but Shentel does it too and that's the best part of the Sprint network that I've experienced--and I'd argue that some of Sprint's problem has been that it doesn't do this.  Not prioritizing the deployment is how you end up with Band 41 on towers surrounded by corn fields and cow pastures in Fauquier County, but a Band 25 GMO serving multiple shopping centers in Alexandria. 

But to your other point, there's a ton of Sprint 8T8R and MMIMO gear they could recycle in the short term to cover the rest of the Band 41 spectrum; perhaps even just moving it from the Sprint rack to the T-Mobile rack.  Or they could just leave it operating in the current tower position until the T-Mobile gear is upgraded with newer n41 gear and then remove the legacy Band 41 gear at that time.

- Trip

LOL - my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's both good and bad - T-Mobile certainly keeps costs low by doing this and passes those savings on to the consumer, however, I've noticed that in DC proper, they haven't been able to keep up with the explosive growth in some of our neighborhoods.

The NoMA and H Street NE areas blew up over the last couple of years, and until very recently T-Mobile has been spotty (especially indoors) and had poor data speeds even with a strong signal.  The Fort Totten area of NE DC is starting to have the same problems - meanwhile, my AT&T work phone and Sprint iPad are flying along here.

• Like 2

Hi All-

Long time viewer who has not commented in some time. Was on Sprint for a decade but switched to T Mobile four years ago. 

Today during my break, I went to the break room as I usually do. I am often connected to WiFi and or Tmobile WiFi Calling. I noticed my cellular reception was showing 4 bars. To my astonishment I saw Sprint as the network provider. This is an unlocked iPhone so there are no old device issues. Reception is very very strong throughout the building I’m in. Thought I’d share!

1512923E-422B-4EA9-BD09-4B31F2DDADDD.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bar5rab said:

Hi All-

Long time viewer who has not commented in some time. Was on Sprint for a decade but switched to T Mobile four years ago. 

Today during my break, I went to the break room as I usually do. I am often connected to WiFi and or Tmobile WiFi Calling. I noticed my cellular reception was showing 4 bars. To my astonishment I saw Sprint as the network provider. This is an unlocked iPhone so there are no old device issues. Reception is very very strong throughout the building I’m in. Thought I’d share!

1512923E-422B-4EA9-BD09-4B31F2DDADDD.jpeg

Can you share your approximate location?