Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

Got a text message from sprint, that I am losing calling plus and finally volte via an getting update tomorrow(14th). I am happy to hear that, Chicago has a strong lte network and it will be nice to surf my phone while being on a phone call as well.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cubbiefan82 said:

Got a text message from sprint, that I am losing calling plus and finally volte via an getting update tomorrow(14th). I am happy to hear that, Chicago has a strong lte network and it will be nice to surf my phone while being on a phone call as well.

Nice.  Welcome to the party.

What phone do you have?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah I had to completely disable voice over LTE again as the call quality is absolutely miserable on LTE and that's here in a very mature and very well built out market (Atlanta).  Shameful.

Edited by JonnygATL
Spelling
  • Like 1

Yeah I had to completely disabled voice over LTE again as the call quality is absolutely miserable on LTE and that's here in a very mature and very well built out market (Atlanta).  Shameful.
That sucks it works just fine here in Minneapolis

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

That sucks it works just fine here in Minneapolis

Is that so? Well it definitely shows in their call quality rankings with rootmetrics that it doesn't most places so count yourself lucky.  To be clear volte is failing for me in areas where I have a very strong band 41 signal (pulling over 75 down). It's perplexing. What was once an extremely solid strong point for them has now become their weakest quality. 

Is that so? Well it definitely shows in their call quality rankings with rootmetrics that it doesn't most places so count yourself lucky.  To be clear volte is failing for me in areas where I have a very strong band 41 signal (pulling over 75 down). It's perplexing. What was once an extremely solid strong point for them has now become their weakest quality. 
Something isn't right then. I've had no issues with VoLTE at all. One time while driving I noticed it beginning the cut out, and the network moved me to B26 (in a good coverage area) to presumably minimize tower handoffs and for there to be a lower likelihood of the call having issues. It kept me there for the duration of my call / drive, then I went back to B41 once I ended the call. Presumably that's how it's supposed to work, if the call starts having issues, then you get moved to a lower, more reliable band.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

When I first got my V50 I had issues like you say where I had turned it off. But after I factory reset my phone I haven't had issues since. Could be a configuration issue with the phone itself. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2020 at 12:58 AM, ingenium said:

Something isn't right then. I've had no issues with VoLTE at all. One time while driving I noticed it beginning the cut out, and the network moved me to B26 (in a good coverage area) to presumably minimize tower handoffs and for there to be a lower likelihood of the call having issues. It kept me there for the duration of my call / drive, then I went back to B41 once I ended the call. Presumably that's how it's supposed to work, if the call starts having issues, then you get moved to a lower, more reliable band.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapata

So glad the deal closed today. Maybe VoLTE will finally work for me here in Atlanta the way it is supposed to. I still can't use it inside of most buildings even with strong signal.  Ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...

Is a software update required for older phones to activate, such as HTC U11? There is no toggle in the settings that I can see. 

Is a software update required for older phones to activate, such as HTC U11? There is no toggle in the settings that I can see. 
Not supported.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/volte.html

See list of devices.

If you're lucky and your old device gets sent to tmobile and they enable it on it then yes. On the old sprint network it's a no.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Not supported.

See list of devices.

If you're lucky and your old device gets sent to tmobile and they enable it on it then yes. On the old sprint network it's a no.

Surprised they didn't do the LG G6 since it has Calling Plus

Surprised they didn't do the LG G6 since it has Calling Plus
I see the S9/+/note 9 isn't on their either

7 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

The site says galaxy s8/+ and note 8  and newer models 

6 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

It says S8 and Note 8 and newer.  So S9 and Note9 is included, right?

12 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Not supported.

See list of devices.

Thanx Tim. I was afraid that would be the answer. Thinking back in it, at this point why would they bother on improving the network they are ripping out and trying to get people to leave.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, clbowens said:

It says S8 and Note 8 and newer.  So S9 and Note9 is included, right?

Yes. Note 9 received the VoLTE update almost two months ago:

https://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7835-note-9-rumor-thread/?do=findComment&comment=551039

And the S9/S9+ received its update a week before the Note 9 did.

• 1 month later...

Confirmed that VoLTE works perfectly on the S20, whether provisioned for Sprint-only (Ting) or T-Mobile/Sprint (Sprint postpaid), running on Sprint's core network. Two S20s on VoLTE will use what Samsung's dailer calls HD+ calling, though it may take a second or two to bump up to the highest-bandwidth codec after the call starts from what I can tell.

Just read up on this a bit and I guess HD+ runs at up to 48 KHz, which tracks with that I was hearing...I've experienced HD voice on older devices over the CDMA network and this seemed a good bit clearer. Call stability is superior to Duo, I'm sure due to network traffic prioritization (and, in the case I'm testing with, the call never actually leaving Sprint's network, vs. having to bounce out to Google).

On 6/28/2020 at 6:23 PM, iansltx said:

Confirmed that VoLTE works perfectly on the S20, whether provisioned for Sprint-only (Ting) or T-Mobile/Sprint (Sprint postpaid), running on Sprint's core network. Two S20s on VoLTE will use what Samsung's dailer calls HD+ calling, though it may take a second or two to bump up to the highest-bandwidth codec after the call starts from what I can tell.

Just read up on this a bit and I guess HD+ runs at up to 48 KHz, which tracks with that I was hearing...I've experienced HD voice on older devices over the CDMA network and this seemed a good bit clearer. Call stability is superior to Duo, I'm sure due to network traffic prioritization (and, in the case I'm testing with, the call never actually leaving Sprint's network, vs. having to bounce out to Google).

HD calling is annoying for me.  i do not get HD calling if someone calls me.  if i call them, even calling them right back, HD calling will happen.  this happening mostly when the other user is verizon.

16 hours ago, swintec said:

HD calling is annoying for me.  i do not get HD calling if someone calls me.  if i call them, even calling them right back, HD calling will happen.  this happening mostly when the other user is verizon.

Can confirm that this happened for me when I was using Sprint's VoLTE. When I switched to T-Mobile's network I stopped experiencing this. It's super annoying. I used to tell my mom to hang up and I'll call her back just for HD Voice to work.

19 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I used to tell my mom to hang up and I'll call her back just for HD Voice to work.

1st world problems.

But seriously, HD voice calling between T-Mobile and Sprint are still a hit or miss for me. I was surprised when a friend called me from his Sprint line a couple of months ago and it sounded very clear (way clearer than VoIP gaming solutions such as Discord). All of our calls are HD since then.

But when I call my sister, no HD. VoLTE works fine on her phone, but just no HD.