Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

These were the next devices planned for VoLTE launch on Sprint. 
Yeah I'm just wondering how they turned it on. The config has to be part of the OS or can be added by installing an app signed with the same certificate that's used to sign the UICC (according to Android documentation). I didn't receive any carrier updates or anything that I'm aware of on my Pixel that would turn it on, which is why I'm curious how they did it. I'm rooted with the module to force it though, and don't particularly want to disable it to check (since it allows me to use VoLTE on my MB).

I'm wondering if enabling the toggle can be done with a profile update. And I'm also curious if the officially enabled Pixels have the same restrictions as other devices (ie, no MB usage, working only in approved markets, etc, that doesn't apply to forced devices).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

my essential phone had the volte toggle in the radio menu completely disabled at some point.  not sure if it was the may update or they did it through a profile update.

The option just showed up, I am on Q Beta 3, but not rooted.  I am using eSIM.  When I go to the Radio info page it shows the VoLTE provisioned toggle on the enabled section as well...
Screenshot_20190514-121652.thumb.png.d09497d3167e1a2a3b49221fc3078c19.pngScreenshot_20190515-050132.thumb.png.603d1e82b7db2d0b3ed3c10027795731.png
Whoops, I missed that you're on Q. Yeah VoLTE is enabled in Q on Sprint, but not P unless you use a Magisk module.

VoLTE just popped up in a number of areas of the Carolinas according to the posts here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/boxkzp/volte_is_here/ (and my own experience in Hickory, NC).

SC: Columbia, SC, Charleston, SC.  NC: Asheville, NC Raleigh, NC, Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC.  It is likely live in other areas too.

• Like 4

VoLTE just popped up in a number of areas of the Carolinas according to the posts here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/boxkzp/volte_is_here/ (and my own experience in Hickory, NC).
SC: Columbia, SC, Charleston, SC.  NC: Asheville, NC Raleigh, NC, Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC.  It is likely live in other areas too.
Now if only Samsung's 9/plus/note users could use it. Worked great when I had the S8. Wishing now I had gotten the pixel 3XL

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My wife has an S9+ and it would be nice if her phone had it.  I will likely shut it off though because she's a teacher and her phone flips between B26 LTE and 1x/EVDO while at work and the majority of her commute.  I'm actually shocked that NC/SC are even live right now.  I wonder if this is just a test/glitch because these states are seriously hurting for coverage.  We desperately need more macro sites in both states.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone has a roaming problem with VoLTE? I am driving through Oregon last weekend. It has VoLTE pretty much everywhere. However, sometimes when Sprint LTE is not strong enough, it will park on T-mobile and USCC. When I am roaming on T-mobile, incoming voice don't work as my S10 don't know to start searching for CDMA signal and T-mobile won't send CSFB signal. Outgoing call works as phone know it needs to drop LTE and look for CDMA signal. It happens sometimes on USCC. But in most case, it will know to find USCC's CDMA signal.

3 hours ago, dnwk said:

Anyone has a roaming problem with VoLTE? I am driving through Oregon last weekend. It has VoLTE pretty much everywhere. However, sometimes when Sprint LTE is not strong enough, it will park on T-mobile and USCC. When I am roaming on T-mobile, incoming voice don't work as my S10 don't know to start searching for CDMA signal and T-mobile won't send CSFB signal. Outgoing call works as phone know it needs to drop LTE and look for CDMA signal. It happens sometimes on USCC. But in most case, it will know to find USCC's CDMA signal.

Interesting. I haven't had issues dropping from T-Mobile LTE to USCC CDMA to recurve/make calls on my iPhone. I believe they using SRLTE, not eCSFB, though...

Did the problem persist if you disabled VoLTE?

1 minute ago, RAvirani said:

Interesting. I haven't had issues dropping from T-Mobile LTE to USCC CDMA to recurve/make calls on my iPhone. I believe they using SRLTE, not eCSFB, though...

Did the problem persist if you disabled VoLTE?

When my phone was not in a VoLTE enabled area, it works fine. But if my phone is in VoLTE enabled area with VoLTE on(CDMA Radio Off), it becomes a problem. But again outgoing calls are fine. My galaxy knows to drop LTE and find CDMA. But since CDMA is not monitored, incoming fails. My phone does use SRLTE normally when not roaming. Last time when I has this roaming problem, I bring up my Samsung engineering screen and it says CSFB.

It works fine with VoLTE disabled. It only happens when my phone was in VoLTE mode (CDMA radio off) right before entering roaming.

14 minutes ago, dnwk said:

When my phone was not in a VoLTE enabled area, it works fine. But if my phone is in VoLTE enabled area with VoLTE on(CDMA Radio Off), it becomes a problem.

What do you mean a VoLTE enabled area? I thought you were roaming...

It works fine with VoLTE disabled. It only happens when my phone was in VoLTE mode (CDMA radio off) right before entering roaming.

I'm confused what you mean here...

10 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

What do you mean a VoLTE enabled area? I thought you were roaming...

I'm confused what you mean here...

So, what I mean is about moving from one cell to another.  I was in Sprint native coverage with VoLTE enabled. And calls are indeed go through VoLTE. My S10's CDMA radio is off. Now, I moved to a roaming area and latched on T-mobile. Supposedly, my phone should be using T-mobile for data only and turn on CDMA radio and use USCC or Verizon for voice. But the CDMA part never happened. My phone is latched to T-mobile's LTE network only. No incoming voice. 

So, what I mean is about moving from one cell to another.  I was in Sprint native coverage with VoLTE enabled. And calls are indeed go through VoLTE. My S10's CDMA radio is off. Now, I moved to a roaming area and latched on T-mobile. Supposedly, my phone should be using T-mobile for data only and turn on CDMA radio and use USCC or Verizon for voice. But the CDMA part never happened. My phone is latched to T-mobile's LTE network only. No incoming voice. 

I double checked and your phone should utilize SRLTE at all times when LTE roaming (I believe even when the LTE and CDMA provider's are the same although I'm not 100% sure). There may be a software/config bug if your phone isn't. 

Does toggling airplane mode in the roaming area cause SRLTE to turn on?

9 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

I double checked and your phone should utilize SRLTE at all times when LTE roaming (I believe even when the LTE and CDMA provider's are the same although I'm not 100% sure). There may be a software/config bug if your phone isn't. 

Does toggling airplane mode in the roaming area cause SRLTE to turn on?

I suspect a Samsung bug. Once I toggle airplane mode or make a outgoing call, it will return to normal.

My S10's CDMA radio is off.

Now that's interesting, and could be the issue. On Verizon my Pixel 3 will turn off CDMA, but on Sprint with VoLTE it keeps CDMA on and maintains SRLTE. So if I start to roam, presumably it will quickly drop to CDMA. For some reason it sounds like that isn't happening on your Samsung phone. I'm surprised it turns off CDMA actually.

Just now, ingenium said:

Now that's interesting, and could be the issue. On Verizon my Pixel 3 will turn off CDMA, but on Sprint with VoLTE it keeps CDMA on and maintains SRLTE. So if I start to roam, presumably it will quickly drop to CDMA. For some reason it sounds like that isn't happening on your Samsung phone. I'm surprised it turns off CDMA actually.

Yes. When my S10 is actually on Sprint VoLTE, it turns off CDMA. I think this is what suppose to happened with standard VoLTE implementation. For some reason, my Samsung don't know it needs to turn CDMA back on once I roam onto T-mobile. I suspect because T-mobile has VoLTE. Samsung mistakenly believe it could use it for voice. This behavior is less frequent with USCC.

4 hours ago, dnwk said:

Yes. When my S10 is actually on Sprint VoLTE, it turns off CDMA. I think this is what suppose to happened with standard VoLTE implementation. For some reason, my Samsung don't know it needs to turn CDMA back on once I roam onto T-mobile. I suspect because T-mobile has VoLTE. Samsung mistakenly believe it could use it for voice. This behavior is less frequent with USCC.

Or perhaps are you in an area where Sprint LTE has better range than Sprint CDMA?  IE, your phone never falls off Sprint LTE to CDMA first before roaming, which would be typical.

16 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Or perhaps are you in an area where Sprint LTE has better range than Sprint CDMA?  IE, your phone never falls off Sprint LTE to CDMA first before roaming, which would be typical.

It happens everywhere in Oregon. In many cases they start to roam before falling off to CDMA.

40 minutes ago, dnwk said:

It happens everywhere in Oregon. In many cases they start to roam before falling off to CDMA.

The Sprint LTE network throughout Oregon is VERY well optimized. I wish Sprint's network team was that good everywhere. 

The bug is likely a Samsung bug. It may be a good idea to reach out to someone at Sprint and inform them of it. 

48 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

The Sprint LTE network throughout Oregon is VERY well optimized. I wish Sprint's network team was that good everywhere. 

The bug is likely a Samsung bug. It may be a good idea to reach out to someone at Sprint and inform them of it. 

Yes. I agree. Sprint's Oregon Network is very good. I don't know how I would report it. I don't want to spend hours talking to CS rep that don't know what's going on.

48 minutes ago, dnwk said:

Yes. I agree. Sprint's Oregon Network is very good. I don't know how I would report it. I don't want to spend hours talking to CS rep that don't know what's going on.

Email marci@sprint.com with all of the technical details. Your email will get forwarded to a network engineer. 

• Like 1

I think more VoLTE is being turned on. Just had my first VoLTE call in central Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The North Florida region was just turned on today. Loving it so far. Simultaneous voice and data has been my only issue with Sprint over the last 2 yrs.