Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

Still no VoLTE in Grand Forks. I anxiously await it's return. 
What phone do you have?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

QUESTION: is Sprint and T-mobile both following VoLTE standards.   Is there anything odd being done by either one that would make it hard or impossible to roam on each others VoLTE?  Could a call transfer from one to the other if the original connection went bad?

4 hours ago, chamb said:

QUESTION: is Sprint and T-mobile both following VoLTE standards.   Is there anything odd being done by either one that would make it hard or impossible to roam on each others VoLTE?  Could a call transfer from one to the other if the original connection went bad?

Sprint has done odd things. There is a flag they have implemented (which is per-TAC I believe) that determines whether VoLTE is allowed. This is how they've launched VoLTE in select areas while disallowing it in others. This would cause issues with moving smoothly from T-Mobile VoLTE to Sprint VoLTE. This issue will go away when Sprint launches VoLTE nationwide.

Another issue I've noticed on my iPhones is that the data connection usually drops for a few seconds when moving from Sprint to T-Mobile LTE. Since they are RAN sharing by means of MOCN, though, TM/handoff parameters can likely be changed to remedy this. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Sprint has done odd things. There is a flag they have implemented (which is per-TAC I believe) that determines whether VoLTE is allowed. This is how they've launched VoLTE in select areas while disallowing it in others. This would cause issues with moving smoothly from T-Mobile VoLTE to Sprint VoLTE. This issue will go away when Sprint launches VoLTE nationwide.

Another issue I've noticed on my iPhones is that the data connection usually drops for a few seconds when moving from Sprint to T-Mobile LTE. Since they are RAN sharing by means of MOCN, though, TM/handoff parameters can likely be changed to remedy this. 

I have more trouble than you do when attempting a move to T-Mobile LTE.  If my Sprint signal on LTE goes to -130 or worse, the phone totally drops from Sprint LTE.  Sometimes T-Mobile LTE is available, but the phone just seems dumb and does not connect to it for a minute or even more.   Not sure what would happen on a VoLTE call here because my unlocked S9 STILL does not have VoLTE operational.

I have more trouble than you do when attempting a move to T-Mobile LTE.  If my Sprint signal on LTE goes to -130 or worse, the phone totally drops from Sprint LTE.  Sometimes T-Mobile LTE is available, but the phone just seems dumb and does not connect to it for a minute or even more.   Not sure what would happen on a VoLTE call here because my unlocked S9 STILL does not have VoLTE operational.
No S9 has volte unlocked or Sprint model [emoji849]

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 5:20 AM, chamb said:

No VoLTE is available on TMO roaming.

Just noticed VoLTE active in the Des Moines IA area. Ran a PRL /Profile update and rebooted and have the VoLTE indicator. Lets hope it is here to stay. Right now not in an area with strong enough LTE signal to trust it for all calls, but it is a start.

• Like 2

Did the majority of the network just get VoLTE in the last few days? Heard on reddit that mainly the Dakotas are the only area that wasn't switched on. Upstate NY here, VoLTE live! 
That's cause the Dakotas barely has Sprint coverage. The little part of i90 that does should get no issue. Last time I was there B25 was 10x10

• Like 1

4 hours ago, burnout8488 said:

Did the majority of the network just get VoLTE in the last few days? Heard on reddit that mainly the Dakotas are the only area that wasn't switched on. Upstate NY here, VoLTE live! 

Yes. VoLTE launched almost everywhere on Friday. They're ahead of schedule for nationwide VoLTE. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JonnygATL said:

Except for owners of the Galaxy S9. Anyone know why?

VoLTE everywhere but only for a handful of models does not really count IMO. From a customer perspective VoLTE should go back to all the phones that were certified by the FCC, which for LG goes back to the V20. Realistically, I only expect them to go forward with new phones.

• Like 2

Except for owners of the Galaxy S9. Anyone know why?

Do not just zoom in on one device.

Sprint stopped the volte updates for ALL older devices in mid December after the iphones and LG v30.

They will start releasing those after the full national launch which is not far from now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Do not just zoom in on one device.

Sprint stopped the volte updates for ALL older devices in mid June after the iphones and LG v30.

They will start releasing those after the full national launch which is not far from now.

For those asking why older devices won't be supported until the nationwide VoLTE launch:

To roll out VoLTE on a market-by-market basis, Sprint has added a "VoLTE enabled" flag to each site.  This is not a part of a traditional VoLTE implementation and thus, additional software is required on the device end to support this 'hack'.  When Sprint launches VoLTE nationwide, all of this will no longer be necessary, and they will be using a traditional VoLTE setup.  Adding support for older devices will then be very simple.  

Interesting side note: some people with rooted Android devices have found a way around the VoLTE enabled flag and have been using VoLTE on Magic Boxes as well as sites that aren't currently officially enabled.  The network is ready for VoLTE nationwide, Sprint just needs to flip the switch.  

For those asking why older devices won't be supported until the nationwide VoLTE launch:
To roll out VoLTE on a market-by-market basis, Sprint has added a "VoLTE enabled" flag to each site.  This is not a part of a traditional VoLTE implementation and thus, additional software is required on the device end to support this 'hack'.  When Sprint launches VoLTE nationwide, all of this will no longer be necessary, and they will be using a traditional VoLTE setup.  Adding support for older devices will then be very simple.  
Interesting side note: some people with rooted Android devices have found a way around the VoLTE enabled flag and have been using VoLTE on Magic Boxes as well as sites that aren't currently officially enabled.  The network is ready for VoLTE nationwide, Sprint just needs to flip the switch.  
The S9 models don't have it any they are far from old

18 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

The S9 models don't have it any they are far from old

The S9 was a phone, just like all the others, which they did not have time nor budget to customize software for.  

The S9 was a phone, just like all the others, which they did not have time nor budget to customize software for.  
[emoji19] I got tired of waiting for it to. So I switched carriers. No since that the older S8 and note 8 have it and newer S10 but not the 9. Tho I only get VOHspa+ on att

It and most others were slated and actually prepared for VoLTE in January when the decision was made.

It's funny because Google actually included the sprint IMS settings for sprint volte but sprint didn't block the Pixel 3s access capabilities. Hence why force enabling it works on all sprint eNBs (macro + A4/3/MB OG - Gen3).

It and most others were slated and actually prepared for VoLTE in January when the decision was made.

It's funny because Google actually included the sprint IMS settings for sprint volte but sprint didn't block the Pixel 3s access capabilities. Hence why force enabling it works on all sprint eNBs (macro + A4/3/MB OG - Gen3).

Since you know more than anyone on here Bud, you think the S9/ note 9 will get it at some point or do S9 users have to wait for TMO!

7 hours ago, burnout8488 said:

Heard on reddit that mainly the Dakotas are the only area that wasn't switched on. 

Correct. That was probably me. Just checked and I still don't have it. Switching to dad's VZW plan today so it won't be an issue for long. iPad will stay on Sprint though. 

2 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

The device software was never finished and fully tested though, if I remember correctly. 

3 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Yes, I remember reading about this at length somewhere on xda.