SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

17 hours ago, mdob07 said:

I had a weird issue on both of my phones this morning. Went to upload data after driving to the office and after tapping upload web data nothing would happen. I had to exit out and reopen SCP to get the data to upload. 

Did you send a diagnostic report after that happened (before you exited) by any chance? If not, could you try to replicate that scenario and do that? Would like to see what's getting stuck.

16 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I’ve also noticed that when I click on the number of points to upload data, the display just sits at pending, even after the upload is completed. 

It resets the counter to 0 but doesn't refresh the display field until the next point is logged -- were you sitting still/idle perhaps? I know it's not ideal, trying to get it resolved for next update.

• Like 1

Still seeing n7 in neighbors. Sent diag.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:15 AM, dkyeager said:

Still seeing n7 in neighbors. Sent diag.

Ah, your A32 wasn't identifying the 5G provider at the time so it didn't apply my workaround.. it only does that if it's confirmed to be connected to T-Mobile. I will make some adjustments.

• Love 1

On 7/29/2022 at 6:11 AM, mikejeep said:

Did you send a diagnostic report after that happened (before you exited) by any chance? If not, could you try to replicate that scenario and do that? Would like to see what's getting stuck.

It just happened again and I sent a report before closing and reopening SCP. Works fine after restarting SCP. The is the first time it's happened since my earlier post about it.

• Thanks 1

I just installed the latest beta on one of my two Moto One 5G Ace devices and now it crashed multiple times on startup.  I tried clearing all data and cache and it got as far as asking for phone permissions, then crashed.  I tried to send diagnostics from Android but I'm not sure if they'll tell you anything.

I eventually set the permissions manually from the App Info screen and it then crashed when trying to import the database, but when I tried it again, it did import successfully.  So I've set everything back up again.  I don't know what happened.

- Trip

• Confused 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:54 PM, Trip said:

I just installed the latest beta on one of my two Moto One 5G Ace devices and now it crashed multiple times on startup.  I tried clearing all data and cache and it got as far as asking for phone permissions, then crashed.  I tried to send diagnostics from Android but I'm not sure if they'll tell you anything.

I found some automated crash reports from a Motorola Ace.. not sure if they were from you or not, but they are bizarre. The error is a security exception claiming "insufficient location permissions" but the triggering code is the block that runs once location permissions are granted. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I'm guessing they are from you. The timestamps were from 5-10 minutes before your post, and it's on two identical devices.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I found some automated crash reports from a Motorola Ace.. not sure if they were from you or not, but they are bizarre. The error is a security exception claiming "insufficient location permissions" but the triggering code is the block that runs once location permissions are granted. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I'm guessing they are from you. The timestamps were from 5-10 minutes before your post, and it's on two identical devices.

Not sure why you have two devices instead of one, but that sounds about right.  It crashed after I granted Phone permissions but before prompting for Location permissions.  The screen, before crashing, had showed the full-screen message about needing background location permissions with the button to open the screen to enable it.

- Trip

Latest update is crashing on my android 6 LG G4 LS991 using AT&T Red Pocket sim.  Signal Check Lite works.  My guess is this is simply too old and should be blocked from installing, but just want to make certain. sent diags.

(For the curious, I get bands 2, 4, 5, 12)

18 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Latest update is crashing on my android 6 LG G4 LS991 using AT&T Red Pocket sim.  Signal Check Lite works.  My guess is this is simply too old and should be blocked from installing, but just want to make certain. sent diags.

(For the curious, I get bands 2, 4, 5, 12)

Never mind, works after I manually set the permissions.

• 3 weeks later...

A new SCP beta is rolling out now and should be available within the hour. It includes some minor bug fixes. It does not resolve the issue with the stale status bar icon -- as of right now, it appears to be an OS bug but I am still investigating.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that the TA: 0 bug carried over to the Android 13 beta on my S22 Ultra. Was hoping that and some of the weirdness in the service menu would get cleared up but doesn't look like they touched any of it. 

9 hours ago, mdob07 said:

I forgot to mention that the TA: 0 bug carried over to the Android 13 beta on my S22 Ultra. Was hoping that and some of the weirdness in the service menu would get cleared up but doesn't look like they touched any of it. 

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest by the OEMs or the Android development team to put effort into getting these methods working properly. I haven't been able to get Samsung to respond in months, and recent OS bugs related to cell info have been closed with explanations like "This information is often incomplete and many modem vendors aren't able to provide it and hence should not be relied upon."

I think it's just going to continue to be hit-or-miss forever. I've seen communications between people with far greater interests in this than me (ie engineers from AT&T and Verizon) who ask for these issues to be resolved and they get the same responses.

Sent you diags on the n7 bug with last night's release this morning for my T-Mobile and Factory unlocked Samsung A32 5G smartphones. Cellmapper has no issues. Will test s21 Ultra later.

Interesting aside: much harder for me to get n41 at a cell edge with s21 Ultra compared to A32 5Gs.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Sent you diags on the n7 bug with last night's release this morning for my T-Mobile and Factory unlocked Samsung A32 5G smartphones. Cellmapper has no issues. Will test s21 Ultra later.

Interesting aside: much harder for me to get n41 at a cell edge with s21 Ultra compared to A32 5Gs.

Sent s21 ultra earlier, however it was not properly seeing n41 according to #*0011#. Was getting over 600 Mbos down load.

On 8/30/2022 at 7:16 AM, dkyeager said:

Ugh. The phone insisting and confirming that it's NR band 7 (when it's NOT, come on Samsung) is apparently overriding my workaround. I'll give it another shot.

14 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Sent s21 ultra earlier, however it was not properly seeing n41 according to #*0011#. Was getting over 600 Mbos down load.

It wasn't reporting any NR cell info, only signal strength data because it was non-standalone (according to the OS, at least) so SCP can't identify the band.

• Like 1

Hey Mike,

I’ve noticed a location bug several times recently—it seems like the location reported by SCP lags my actual location by several minutes.

The outcome is something similar to the “stuck location” bug we used to have. Do you have any idea why this might be happening? @S4GRU and @Trip have see  this recently as well, I believe. 

• Like 2

About 8 hours ago I sent in two diags for s21 ultra with n7 issue. Hard to capture the n41 fully active as defined by *#0011#  but I think I got it in the second diag.  This was at a third nearby site (UA) Thanks.

8 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Hey Mike,

I’ve noticed a location bug several times recently—it seems like the location reported by SCP lags my actual location by several minutes.

The outcome is something similar to the “stuck location” bug we used to have. Do you have any idea why this might be happening? @S4GRU and @Trip have see  this recently as well, I believe. 

Yep.  Closing and reopening SCP resolves it, but it's annoying because you can't tell it's going to happen until you're moving, and then you have to ditch any data prior to that point because it's not accurate.

Here's the bug report on the tracker:  https://github.com/bluelinepc/signalcheck/issues/16

- Trip

2 hours ago, Trip said:

Yep.  Closing and reopening SCP resolves it, but it's annoying because you can't tell it's going to happen until you're moving, and then you have to ditch any data prior to that point because it's not accurate.

Here's the bug report on the tracker:  https://github.com/bluelinepc/signalcheck/issues/16

- Trip

I favor identifying SCP data with phone in addition to user for this reason.  Combine this with some phones having less accurate GPS, GPS hardware issues, and Google getting confused by Wi-Fi location changes (give a Wi-Fi router to a relative and then see where your Google Map says where you are. [Disclaimer - last did this many years ago.])

If you have a small herd of phones, and the clocks are synced, you could replace the bad GPS data from your hunting trips with GPS info from other phones.  Cell site GPS errors would still exist but are rare.

• Like 1

I've done that before.  When my AT&T data first went bad back in June, I used a different phone to plot the locations for my own purposes--but there was nothing I could do on the SignalCheck map.

- Trip

6 minutes ago, Trip said:

I've done that before.  When my AT&T data first went bad back in June, I used a different phone to plot the locations for my own purposes--but there was nothing I could do on the SignalCheck map.

- Trip

If you could group phones for a set time period (with the phones named), then a script/program could possibly do the work.  One possible issue is walking around sites with a subset of those phones to pickup all sector's data.