SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

So this is bizarre, and I'm not really sure what to say about it or how it could have even happened.

My AT&T phone (FreedomPop) is a rooted Pixel 3a.  Somehow, it appears that in both the trail log and the site log, the GPS somehow lagged the cells yesterday.  I noticed it because we went through Detrick, VA.  On my new S21FE, the logs are correct.  I see Shentel's 0FE18Fxx at Detrick, as expected.  Meanwhile, AT&T is on that same tower.  It got recorded with correct TA numbers, but coordinates that were probably 20-30 minutes out of date.  They clearly follow the route that we took, and are even spaced correctly from what I can tell, but they're just clearly mismatched.

I salvaged the data by using the timestamps to match with my S21FE logs, and used those coordinates to locate anything I had issues with, so I didn't lose anything personally, but you can see the incorrect locations on the SignalCheck Map site.  Look at AT&T LTE, 09FB11, and you'll see that the 0x10 and 0x11 sectors are placed very wrongly, while the 0x0F sector as a few points that are right only because one of my other phones managed to connect to it by accident along the way.

It looks like others were impacted too; that's just the one that's most obvious.  I didn't notice it along the way because I had my dashboard phone holders dedicated to various T-Mobile devices, and my AT&T phone was out of my line of sight.

Later in the log, things appear to be correct again.  Utterly bizarre.  Any thoughts?

- Trip

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Trip said:

Should it be rolled back, or should I just locate the sites properly with the bad sectors in place or something?

- Trip

I can try to isolate the “bad” points in each sector, although if you also uploaded a lot of good data at around the same time, that could get really time consuming. Alternatively, you can delete the bad sectors and remap them next time you’re in the area…

I’d definitely leave the sites in their correct locations. 

I don't anticipate returning for a long time.  I made that trip specifically because there was otherwise no reason for me to ever go there.

I can clearly see some bad points on a number of sites.  I've located some (not all) of them, particularly in/near Luray, Front Royal, and Strasburg.  Up to you what you want to do with them.  I can make edits which I'm capable of making, or you can make changes as you see fit.  Whichever.  I'm fine either way.

- Trip

On 5/23/2022 at 3:21 AM, dkyeager said:

n7 still appearing with latest version on samsung galaxy a32 5g with android 12. Swipe feature works. Log sent.

Samsung s21 ultra does show solid n41 connection on T-Mobile through Boost Mobile.

Note: fixed typo by removing "not".

Might be a samsung issue like the TA issue. My S22 Ultra is showing SA n41 as n7 also. Saw it for the first time today. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

Might be a samsung issue like the TA issue. My S22 Ultra is showing SA n41 as n7 also. Saw it for the first time today. 

Great to know. More likely to get fixed when issues also appears in the latest flagship.

22 hours ago, Trip said:

I don't anticipate returning for a long time.  I made that trip specifically because there was otherwise no reason for me to ever go there.

I can clearly see some bad points on a number of sites.  I've located some (not all) of them, particularly in/near Luray, Front Royal, and Strasburg.  Up to you what you want to do with them.  I can make edits which I'm capable of making, or you can make changes as you see fit.  Whichever.  I'm fine either way.

- Trip

I’d recommend deleting the bad sectors. 

This way, next time the area is mapped, the data will look good - the sites will remain where you located them (even if you delete all the sectors) and the new sector coverage polygons will be accurate. 

Ah!  I see.  That makes sense. 

I've cleaned up a few of them.  Not sure that's all of them yet, as I've not located all the AT&T sites I saw on my trip yet.

- Trip

On 5/24/2022 at 10:26 AM, mikejeep said:

They've become far more responsive on the Samsung Developer portal than they had been in the past; they now have a support ticketing system that they actually utilize. It's usually tricky for me to pursue anything unless I have the device in question in-hand, but I can try submitting something on your behalf if you can provide me with what they might ask for. Or you can check out https://developer.samsung.com/dashboard/support and try yourself.

FYI I reported TA=0 on the A32 last night; I'll add a note that it happens on your device as well, I have all the info I need from your diagnostic reports.

Hey Mike, a couple other things you might be able to post for S22Ultra owners, In particular, these deal with the *#0011# menu. The following are true for even the June update:

1. Does not show the second n41 carrier (when it is connected) on LTE+NSA. It shows "NR_NumCC:2" but no additional Carrier. It simply states "CA-Not Config 0 0"This works fine on the S21. 

2. There is a line that states "Code Review Required"

3. There is a line that states "Unknown 0"

• Like 2

My S21FE showed an n41 SA connection as n38 the other day.  I've also seen it show me n41 SA as n71, even though the NR-ARFCN was correct.  I tried to send diagnostics for each case, but I would guess that's what the phone was reporting to SCP.

- Trip

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 7:46 AM, mdob07 said:

@mikejeepI've been noticing SCP freezing and unexpectedly closing a lot more recently since that latest beta update. It used to only do it after it had been running in the background for several hours. Now it's happening fairly frequently when I've got SCP on screen as I'm driving. Sometimes it will freeze but the system notification that it's not responding won't pop up for 15-20 minutes, or sometimes it's immediate. I have to go into settings-apps and force stop scp to get it to work again if I notice it before the system notification. 

@mikejeep have you had a chance to look into this issue yet?

On 6/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, Trip said:

So this is bizarre, and I'm not really sure what to say about it or how it could have even happened.

My AT&T phone (FreedomPop) is a rooted Pixel 3a.  Somehow, it appears that in both the trail log and the site log, the GPS somehow lagged the cells yesterday.  I noticed it because we went through Detrick, VA.  On my new S21FE, the logs are correct.  I see Shentel's 0FE18Fxx at Detrick, as expected.  Meanwhile, AT&T is on that same tower.  It got recorded with correct TA numbers, but coordinates that were probably 20-30 minutes out of date.  They clearly follow the route that we took, and are even spaced correctly from what I can tell, but they're just clearly mismatched.

I salvaged the data by using the timestamps to match with my S21FE logs, and used those coordinates to locate anything I had issues with, so I didn't lose anything personally, but you can see the incorrect locations on the SignalCheck Map site.  Look at AT&T LTE, 09FB11, and you'll see that the 0x10 and 0x11 sectors are placed very wrongly, while the 0x0F sector as a few points that are right only because one of my other phones managed to connect to it by accident along the way.

It looks like others were impacted too; that's just the one that's most obvious.  I didn't notice it along the way because I had my dashboard phone holders dedicated to various T-Mobile devices, and my AT&T phone was out of my line of sight.

Later in the log, things appear to be correct again.  Utterly bizarre.  Any thoughts?

- Trip

Interesting twist.  Today, I took off for southern Virginia and had my T-Mobile B71 phone (Revvlry on Android 10) and I noticed the GPS was bad as compared to my other two devices on SCP on the dash.  Couldn't get it to clear by toggling the Location Services box, so I quit and restarted SCP.

When I did so, it first came up with the bad coordinates, then extremely rapidly zipped through from where it was stuck all the way up to where I was currently, like the coordinates were backlogged and then suddenly flushed out within a few short seconds.  More bizarrely, I noticed the same behavior on two other devices (Pixel 3a and Moto One 5G Ace, both on Android 11) and had to do the same thing to those.  I also dumped my trails on all three, assuming they were all bad by then.  The rest of my devices were correct.

I was barreling down the highway at the time, so I couldn't investigate further.  Other than my quoted message above, I've never seen this behavior before, and now it seems to be widespread. 

- Trip

14 hours ago, Trip said:

Interesting twist.  Today, I took off for southern Virginia and had my T-Mobile B71 phone (Revvlry on Android 10) and I noticed the GPS was bad as compared to my other two devices on SCP on the dash.  Couldn't get it to clear by toggling the Location Services box, so I quit and restarted SCP.

When I did so, it first came up with the bad coordinates, then extremely rapidly zipped through from where it was stuck all the way up to where I was currently, like the coordinates were backlogged and then suddenly flushed out within a few short seconds.  More bizarrely, I noticed the same behavior on two other devices (Pixel 3a and Moto One 5G Ace, both on Android 11) and had to do the same thing to those.  I also dumped my trails on all three, assuming they were all bad by then.  The rest of my devices were correct.

I was barreling down the highway at the time, so I couldn't investigate further.  Other than my quoted message above, I've never seen this behavior before, and now it seems to be widespread. 

- Trip

Almost the exact same thing happened on my Verizon Galaxy Flip a couple days ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how it happened, but I missed all the posts in this thread for the past several weeks. I've been busy but certainly didn't mean to ignore everyone.. will start working on catching up today.

• Like 5

On 7/10/2022 at 1:54 AM, mikejeep said:

Not sure how it happened, but I missed all the posts in this thread for the past several weeks. I've been busy but certainly didn't mean to ignore everyone.. will start working on catching up today.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, PedroDaGr8 said:

Hey Mike, a couple other things you might be able to post for S22Ultra owners, In particular, these deal with the *#0011# menu. The following are true for even the June update:

1. Does not show the second n41 carrier (when it is connected) on LTE+NSA. It shows "NR_NumCC:2" but no additional Carrier. It simply states "CA-Not Config 0 0"This works fine on the S21. 

2. There is a line that states "Code Review Required"

3. There is a line that states "Unknown 0"

Welcome back Mike! Just confirming that these issues are still present in the July update. Of note, along with those issues the n41 reporting as n7 issue continues. CellMapper seems to record it properly, as n41, but not SignalCheck. I have only seen this occur with n41, B41 is not impacted.

Is this a phone bug, a SCP big, or a brain bug? I occasionally run a speed test on my S21 when I drop my daughter off for work. There's a tower a few hundred feet away, so results are usually very good. The other day, I got almost 1Gbps (a couple days later I hit 1073Mbps) but SCP claimed I was connected to N71 and LTE B2. I'm quite sure that combination isn't capable of that speed. Later I searched how to open service mode, and when SCP was showing the same thing, service mode appeared to show I was connected to N41 and B2. Screenshots attached so y'all can confirm or educate me if I don't understand. :) Edit: attachment max, will add 2nd post.

Screenshot_20220707-170155_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-170209_Speedtest.jpg

10 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Is this a phone bug, a SCP big, or a brain bug? I occasionally run a speed test on my S21 when I drop my daughter off for work. There's a tower a few hundred feet away, so results are usually very good. The other day, I got almost 1Gbps (a couple days later I hit 1073Mbps) but SCP claimed I was connected to N71 and LTE B2. I'm quite sure that combination isn't capable of that speed. Later I searched how to open service mode, and when SCP was showing the same thing, service mode appeared to show I was connected to N41 and B2. Screenshots attached so y'all can confirm or educate me if I don't understand. :) Edit: attachment max, will add 2nd post.

Screenshot_20220707-170155_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-170209_Speedtest.jpg

I've seen that before usually when I had been connected to SA n71 before switching back to LTE. SCP keeps identifying the 5g connection as 5G-NR 600. In NSA mode if should just say 5G-NR as I don't think the phone can tell what NR band it is in nsa mode at least for now. When I see that if I exit using the menu and reopen SCP it just shows 5G-NR. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

SCP doesn’t appear to work with Dish service. Dish SIMs contain two virtual SIMs - SIM 1 camps on AT&T and SIM 2 connects to Dish NR when available. 

SCP knows the phone is connected to NR (it shows connected to NR in the top right corner), but the app only displays AT&T LTE information. 

Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/48PuJ1b

I send a diagnostic report - any ideas Mike?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, RAvirani said:

SCP doesn’t appear to work with Dish service. Dish SIMs contain two virtual SIMs - SIM 1 camps on AT&T and SIM 2 connects to Dish NR when available. 

SCP knows the phone is connected to NR (it shows connected to NR in the top right corner), but the app only displays AT&T LTE information. 

Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/48PuJ1b

I send a diagnostic report - any ideas Mike?

Hopefully we can get SCP configured to map Dish.  That sure is a pretty complex setup.

On another note, I found a treasure trove of City of Everett archives online and added every missing Tmo site to the database from there, as well as update any missing Site numbers/names.  I have added or updated probably a 1,500 sites in the 2 months as i scour data sources as I have free time or insomnia.

Robert :welc2:

• Like 7