Sprint wants to save $1B by relocating towers

JeffDTD

Correct me if I am wrong but Clearwire was a big user of microwave backhaul.

I was a Clearwire user and it worked well as long as there was no heavy rain within

25 miles. Heavy rain was certain to cause interruptions because microwave is

sensitive to things like that.

If the microwave system is designed/engineered/installed properly, this can be minimized and be almost non-existent. I personally operated a 6 Gig microwave system that never failed for 15 years. This was with nasty rain/snow/ice storms in each of the years.

The system did get a little close to the edge at times, but it was designed to have enough margin so it would continue to work in horrible conditions, and it did.

• Like 1

Man, even Softbank stock is taking a hit. I guess that's normal, considering they own 83% of Sprint.

Sprint/softbank.... are just taking hits left and right.... most of all markets that are band 25 only are getting 250$ bill credits... you can choose to get it all upfront or spread it around. All these rumors aren't helping them ether.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Well I know in my part Maryland ,Cecil county there are 4 tower that have not been touched as far as equipment all are still legacy equipped there are two state owned tower's below the C and D canal and one just below Cecil county in Kent county the backhaul to these tower's go thur Maryland broadband coop. That could work here but coverage would shrink. We will see

Correct me if I am wrong but Clearwire was a big user of microwave backhaul.

I was a Clearwire user and it worked well as long as there was no heavy rain within

25 miles. Heavy rain was certain to cause interruptions because microwave is

sensitive to things like that.

All it takes is proper engineering. Most of the long haul phone and TV traffic in the US ran over microwave for 30+ years. It can be done, just don't cut corners.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well I know in my part Maryland ,Cecil county there are 4 tower that have not been touched as far as equipment all are still legacy equipped there are two state owned tower's below the C and D canal and one just below Cecil county in Kent county the backhaul to these tower's go thur Maryland broadband coop. That could work here but coverage would shrink. We will see

I live in Harford County...Cecil is like a black hole for Sprint. Even along the interstate. I wonder why they have neglected that area so much?

I live in Harford County...Cecil is like a black hole for Sprint. Even along the interstate. I wonder why they have neglected that area so much?

I heard, sprint is still having lots of issues getting site approvals to switch over to network vision.

What sub-directory is the thread. I cannot access it from work? Is it another "Members Only folder"?

No, it is in the general topics forum. If you can access this one, then there is no reason you should not be able to access the other thread.

Sent from my LG G4

A point about backhaul that I'm not sure people are aware of. The fiber used from the cell sites is not routed the same way your home internet would be. In order to get fiber backhaul, the link has to go directly to the switch site, not touching the Internet along the way. Usually that's where the AAVs and LECs come into play, since they have last-mile fiber and can provide point to point connections. 

• Like 1

A point about backhaul that I'm not sure people are aware of. The fiber used from the cell sites is not routed the same way your home internet would be. In order to get fiber backhaul, the link has to go directly to the switch site, not touching the Internet along the way. Usually that's where the AAVs and LECs come into play, since they have last-mile fiber and can provide point to point connections.

Did anyone hear about sprint getting most of there proposals rejected by city / town for small cells?