Sprint wants to save $1B by relocating towers

JeffDTD

Link?

also did hear this.... that there's been certain municipalities and districts that they are having trouble negotiating with, but I was also told a significant number of approvals have been granted though in some major cities. Light poles seam to be getting the higher approval rate, building's and other structures seam to be harder to deal with because it requires dealing with the people who own those properties.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

So far it is working. The tower company's stocks are plummeting from the news.

Anyone care to comment.... if you have 0 lte plus in your city currently..... n im really talking about anywhere ..... what are your chances of getting it by the end of this year???

A point about backhaul that I'm not sure people are aware of. The fiber used from the cell sites is not routed the same way your home internet would be. In order to get fiber backhaul, the link has to go directly to the switch site, not touching the Internet along the way. Usually that's where the AAVs and LECs come into play, since they have last-mile fiber and can provide point to point connections. 

You can use MPLS or CE to provision cell site backhaul.

Anyone care to comment.... if you have 0 lte plus in your city currently..... n im really talking about anywhere ..... what are your chances of getting it by the end of this year???

In a city your size, pretty darn good. Probably sooner.

Sent from my LG G4

In a city your size, pretty darn good. Probably sooner.

Sent from my LG G4

In theory... we are both thinking the same way...now with me only having 3 wimax sites....sprint would have to build b41 on to the network vision sites.. how long does it take sprint to do so.... let's say to at least cover 70% with b41

In theory... we are both thinking the same way...now with me only having 3 wimax sites....sprint would have to build b41 on to the network vision sites.. how long does it take sprint to do so.... let's say to at least cover 70% with b41

I'm pretty sure that once work begins on a tower to install the 8T8R panels that it's like max 3-4 days per tower, IIRC. Someone else feel free to chime in if I'm wrong :) .

-Anthony

I'm pretty sure that once work begins on a tower to install the 8T8R panels that it's like max 3-4 days per tower, IIRC. Someone else feel free to chime in if I'm wrong :) .

-Anthony

What do you think is the biggest hold back? Is it site approvals, low funds, or a little of both?

Do you think sprint is that far off from completing the nationwide roll out

Some say Sprint could be around 40-50% complete. It's only been about a year since they strated rolling out 8t8r on sites, so they're not making too bad of progress.

-Anthony

• Like 2

This is a screenshot from a buddy he was shocked that speeds were that fast

tell your buddy to be careful, unless he is on an unlimited plan those speed tests burn tons of data...

• Like 1

Capture+_2016-01-21-05-11-091.jpg would these speeds be considered enhanced LTE or still 700 mhz10 by 10 for at&t

Wanna say that's definitely CA. I don't think 10x10 could get that high in reality as that speed is right about where the max theoretical for 10 MHz FDD lies. I don't think AT&T really has a marketing name for its CA.

It's amazing how these stories of network plans can have such detailed analyses of how bad the situation will be with vague rumors. Interesting. Everyone assumes that Sprint will decommission macro sites before small cells are live to replace them and verified. That is a mighty big assumption.

Hear rumors from people with ulterior motives (tower companies) and then come up with detailed doomsday scenarios. And yet, if Tmo did the same thing, it would be called innovative and they'd be given every benefit of the doubt. But if Sprint does anything new, they'll fail.

No matter if that small cell planning is just large scale supplemental for macro sites or a macro site replacement scenario, this will be Marcelo and Masa's deal. It could save Sprint. Or it could kill it. Time will tell. And it's their company to run.

Personally, I wouldn't replace the macro network. But I sure would supplement and possibly expand it using small cells in Public ROW. I sure won't rush to judgment until I hear more from Marcelo and Saw. I'm definitely intrigued.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I think Sprint needs to start suing these people. Dr saw debunked the RE/Code article in the Willy Episode , and now these jokers keep coming with the same type of articles. I am starting to feel these people are being paid by the other 3 carriers to put out misinformation out there.