Sprint wants to save $1B by relocating towers

JeffDTD

I think Sprint needs to start suing these people. Dr saw debunked the RE/Code article in the Willy Episode , and now these jokers keep coming with the same type of articles. I am starting to feel these people are being paid by the other 3 carriers to put out misinformation out there.

It smells like tower companies, in my opinion. They have a lot to lose if Sprint is successful in even a large scale expansion of Public ROW small cells. Then the others will jump in like gangbusters. Tower companies want all future network growth hosted on their towers.

They need all four providers seeking them for network expansion and infill. They invested billions for this pay day to now come to fruition. And they see it possibly being snagged for low operating expense companies like Mobilitie. Even if they aren't responsible, they hate this idea more than anyone.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I think Sprint needs to start suing these people. Dr saw debunked the RE/Code article in the Willy Episode , and now these jokers keep coming with the same type of articles. I am starting to feel these people are being paid by the other 3 carriers to put out misinformation out there. 

Most of the so called analysts have no idea what they're talking about.

Honestly, if they're influencing the stock price, they can get some seriously jail time, if they're benefiting from it. 

It smells like tower companies, in my opinion. They have a lot to lose if Sprint is successful in even a large scale expansion of Public ROW small cells. Then the others will jump in like gangbusters. Tower companies want all future network growth hosted on their towers.

They need all four providers seeking them for network expansion and infill. They invested billions for this pay day to now come to fruition. And they see it possibly being snagged for low operating expense companies like Mobilitie. Even if they aren't responsible, they hate this idea more than anyone.

Yeah. These stories smell like "plants" to me too.

Honestly, if they're influencing the stock price, they can get some seriously jail time, if they're benefiting from it. 

I think it would be extremely difficult to prove this. Besides, how many wall street folks have actually been indicted for anything.

• Like 3

Most of the so called analysts have no idea what they're talking about.

You just have to stop reading what they write no matter what click-bait title they use or use adblocking on their sites.

Look at Craig Moffett... He's been saying Sprint's been going out of business for years, and yet he magically maintains an aura of credibility in many circles... I don't know how.

You just have to stop reading what they write no matter what click-bait title they use or use adblocking on their sites.

Look at Craig Moffett... He's been saying Sprint's been going out of business for years, and yet he magically maintains an aura of credibility in many circles... I don't know how.

The issue is the other stock holders read it and panic. That is why the stock is down another 12% today.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I kind of understand why people are skeptical of what Sprint says because of the history Sprint has had with saying things and not following through; but now people are just saying whatever they can to get people to their sites. They make assumptions from the past and we know what that means....

e95185710be57c2fe7c2d163566fb678.400x400

• Like 4

I'll go one further... It smells like the wireline providers (Verizon/AT&T) or their PR/Trade Association Surrogates.... They have a lot to lose based on this article:

Sprint estimates that the costs it pays for wireline operators to support wireless backhaul for its network historically cost about one-third of its overall operating costs of the base station.

• Like 1

I'll go one further... It smells like the wireline providers (Verizon/AT&T) or their PR/Trade Association Surrogates.... They have a lot to lose based on this article:

I believe the recent drop in stock price is mainly due to investors' concern about sprint meeting its obligations for 2016.  The recode article might exacerbate the decline but not the main cause.

If we assume sprint will perform similarly in 2016 as 2015 then they have to generate 7 billions more cash compared to 2015.  So far this is what we know: about 2 billions will come from the device leasing vehicle that they initiated in Nov/Dec, 2.5 billions from cost cut(?) and probably 2 billions (?) from network equipment leasing vehicle.  The question marks are what worry investors.  So far nothing come from network equipment leasing vehicle; the labor reductions and various cost cut initiatives only mount to about 700 millions.  So they are still short of 3.8 billions.  where can they come up with this money?  This is what they have to answer tomorrow or the downward spiral continues.

• Like 1

Unless something changed, the small cells Sprint would deploy are data only right? So unless VoLTE is waiting in the wings on the call tomorrow, I don't see the macro network going anywhere.

Unless something changed, the small cells Sprint would deploy are data only right? So unless VoLTE is waiting in the wings on the call tomorrow, I don't see the macro network going anywhere.

1.9 GHz mini macros do CDMA + LTE since they are literally macro site radio heads. 

Actual pico cells are LTE only. 

• Like 2

1.9 GHz mini macros do CDMA + LTE since they are literally macro site radio heads. 

Still, I would imagine most of the small cell deployment would be focused on B41? And no support for 1x800 or B26? Or are the mini macros SMR capable too.

So the small cell deployment is an integral part of VoLTE?

In all honesty this is Sprint's fault. By being mum on it's NGN work plans and failing to increase capital expenditure guidance, sprint force the media and industry analysis to talk to tower companies, vendor partners and others, who probably only have parts of sprint's plans, in order to piece together what is going on. Sprint created the environment for this kind of speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In all honesty this is Sprint's fault. By being mum on it's NGN work plans and failing to increase capital expenditure guidance, sprint force the media and industry analysis to talk to tower companies, vendor partners and others, who probably only have parts of sprint's plans, in order to piece together what is going on. Sprint created the environment for this kind of speculation.

I agree

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Still, I would imagine most of the small cell deployment would be focused on B41? And no support for 1x800 or B26? Or are the mini macros SMR capable too.

I mean if they want to strap a B26 radio head alongside the B25 radio and compatible antennas then they could support B26 & 1x800 as well. 

So the small cell deployment is an integral part of VoLTE?

Yes. Sprint needs the LTE coverage if they want to do VoLTE without 1x fallback like Verizon.

it is either small cells or 10,000 or so new macro cites.

kpbvWVW.png

• Like 6

So I guess my question is .... What if these "leaks" are correct and sprint IS planning to do what has been reported?

Then what? Looks like we cross our fingers and wait??

Could one misfortune in the new plan cause sprint to crumble ?

So I guess my question is .... What if these "leaks" are correct and sprint IS planning to do what has been reported?

Then what? Looks like we cross our fingers and wait??

Could one misfortune in the new plan cause sprint to crumble ?

I mean, some of Sprint's top players have already come out and said it was wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Then, I would agree with the analysis. It would be plain stupid to through away the work/investment of network vision and on top of that severely reduce the value of their assets right before they do network lease co.

In some way, I agree. I like information. Lots of it. And all the nerdy details. Don't hold anything back.

But, when you look back at all major upgrades from the other carriers, they don't provide those kinds of details. The best you will get is...'this is what our over inflated coverage map will look like at the end of the year.' I suppose Sprint could do that. But they aren't really planning expansion. This is about densification and in footprint infill. Which really only can be measured by performance after the fact.

• Like 2

In some way, I agree. I like information. Lots of it. And all the nerdy details. Don't hold anything back.

But, when you look back at all major upgrades from the other carriers, they don't provide those kinds of details. The best you will get is...'this is what our over inflated coverage map will look like at the end of the year.' I suppose Sprint could do that. But they aren't really planning expansion. This is about densification and in footprint infill. Which really only can be measured by performance after the fact.

I agree... Verizon never talks about upgrades until they are done same with t mobile and at&t... but since sprint is a bit more behind people are more pushy to find out.

I agree... Verizon never talks about upgrades until they are done same with t mobile and at&t... but since sprint is a bit more behind people are more pushy to find out.

I wouldn't lump T-Mobile into that --- see "end of 2015 map" they pushed out early last year. But otherwise, yes AT&T and Verizon don't really vocalize upgrades.