Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

So I have a question about roaming plus. I'm out visiting family in Smith Center Kansas. I know this is a lte romaing + area that has nextech. What is weird is my nexus 6 and my sisters nexus 5x are only using evdo while my mother's iPhone 6 plus has extended LTE. Does anyone here know why that is and is there a fix?

Just out of curiosity what carrier settings does your mother have on her iPhone?

Roaming is set to voice only. Data roaming is off and international CDMA is on. Very interesting because she has data.

Because it is LTE Roaming+, the data roaming setting should not need to be enabled to access it.

I would be curious, though, to see what MCC-MNC and band Nex-Tech is using.  It could be dual broadcasting a Sprint MCC-MNC and using MFBI.  Unfortunately, your mother has an iPhone and gathering that info is not as easy as opening SignalCheck Pro.

AJ

Because it is LTE Roaming+, the data roaming setting should not need to be enabled to access it.

I would be curious, though, to see what MCC-MNC and band Nex-Tech is using.  It could be dual broadcasting a Sprint MCC-MNC and using MFBI.  Unfortunately, your mother has an iPhone and gathering that info is not as easy as opening SignalCheck Pro.

AJ

That is really interesting. I didn't realize it would be handled separately like that. Sadly I don't have any more Sprint phones available to test.

So do you think enabling band 12 on my nexus 6 would have a chance of working?

That is really interesting. I didn't realize it would be handled separately like that. Sadly I don't have any more Sprint phones available to test.

Well it can't hurt. And probably yes.

Your mother has an iPhone 6 Plus?  It does not support band 12.  This is not band 12.

AJ

God observation AJ.

Yes, I am an S4GRU god.  Thank you for acknowledging my deity.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Any rumors of Sprint buying out US Cellular? That will help a lot in the Midwest.

It would help a lot in a lot of places, but as far as we know the owners of US Cellular are not willing to sell the company. Such a merger is discussed frequently here because USCC is a good fit for Sprint from an asset and footprint standpoint, but it looks like USCC is content to be an independent roaming partner for the foreseeable future.

It would make plenty of sense, Sprint was also considering Alltel in 2004 instead they went for Sextel. Sprint would be in an entirely different position today. USCC would be an ideal fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit USCC roaming in Washington.

3G and LTE. LTE was band 12 5MHz. Tested it and pulled in 6Mbps in nowhereville. Then it changed over to 10MHz after a few miles.

On the Nexus 5? Is it an unlocked version? This would put a dent in the theory that unlocked devices can't connect to LTE Roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

On the Nexus 5? Is it an unlocked version? This would put a dent in the theory that unlocked devices can't connect to LTE Roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I wish. Not band 12 on the N5. The S6 had LTE, not mine. So I don't know if B2, B5 or B4 was on either in that area.

• Like 1

Just FYI, we need to be careful going forward with our use of the term "unlocked."

Likely, few would confuse it with an international unlock.  But many Sprint variant handsets now can be domestically unlocked -- once certain criteria are met.  While it is possible that a domestic unlocked handset might lose LTE roaming capability, we have no evidence of that at this time.

So, the class of handsets in question about LTE roaming is the one that I have referred to as "unlocked, third party."  That is not a very elegant description.  Perhaps "non operator branded" would fit the bill better.  However, we should not say "unlocked" just to refer to Sprint compatible handsets purchased directly from Google, Motorola, etc.

AJ

• Like 2

Falls City Nebraska -

iPhone 6 : LTE Extended

GS5 : 3G roaming US Cellular

Burchard Nebraska (of all places) -

• Like 1

Falls City Nebraska -

Burchard Nebraska (of all places) -

My note 5 won't connect to LTE roaming either, it seems Samsung phones have not gotten access yet.

My note 5 won't connect to LTE roaming either, it seems Samsung phones have not gotten access yet.

LTE roaming soft launch, people, soft launch.  We should and do hope for more -- especially from unlocked, third party handsets.  But until an official announcement, the jury is out.

AJ

• Like 2