Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

The coverage map is a mess, still too small and too many colors.

You want fewer colors?  That would mean less delineation, less gradation.  Do you actually want less information?  You cannot have it both ways.  And the colors of the Data coverage map tool are nicely orthogonal -- unlike many of the almost indistinguishable shades of the same color that other operators use to obfuscate their network coverage shortcomings.

AJ

• Like 1

You want fewer colors? That would mean less delineation, less gradation. Do you actually want less information? You cannot have it both ways. And the colors of the Data coverage map tool are nicely orthogonal -- unlike many of the almost indistinguishable shades of the same color that other operators use to obfuscate their network coverage shortcomings.

AJ

I like it better when the coverage map has closer colors. Like how project Fi coverage looks a lot better than sprints

The coverage map is a mess, still too small and too many colors.

My only gripe is that the purple color is a little too close in shades. Off the top of my head don't they have like 3 or 4 different shades of purple going on? If the colors where a couple shades lighter/darker from one another, I believe that would really clean up the roaming on the map.

And to also beat the dead horse... a larger coverage map.  :dead:

But I think overall I'm glad they went with a lot of "different" colors, because each one really stands out. You can tell exactly where there is LTE, Spark/Enhanced LTE and where it's still falling back to 3G easily. It would be terrible if they decided to go with different shades of Orange to depict all LTE service. The yellow on orange on purple works well IMO.

• Like 2

Interesting.  The Nexus 5X does not show LTE roaming still.

A remote possibility, albeit one we have to consider, is that some unlocked, third party handsets may not receive all Sprint network features, such as LTE roaming or band 41 2x CA.  We certainly have seen some 2x CA concerns among the three unlocked, third party handsets this fall.

AJ

A remote possibility, albeit one we have to consider, is that some unlocked, third party handsets may not receive all Sprint network features, such as LTE roaming or band 41 2x CA. We certainly have seen some 2x CA concerns among the three unlocked, third party handsets this fall.

AJ

I believe the 6p does 2x CA successfully at least. I was able to pull a speed test of 75 mbit on B41, which should be faster than a single carrier can do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I believe the 6p does 2x CA successfully at least. I was able to pull a speed test of 75 mbit on B41, which should be faster than a single carrier can do.

Yes, band 41 2x CA may be working on the Nexus 6P.  But I do not keep track of speed tests, nor do I consider them reliable.  Regardless, band 41 can do 75 Mbps downlink on a single carrier.

AJ

I like it better when the coverage map has closer colors. Like how project Fi coverage looks a lot better than sprints

I actually think Clear did a real nice job with their coverage map and the color scheme on Sprint's map is less as perfect. People who are color blind can't even get the different networks etc.

Group 1 = Band 5

Group 2 = Band 5 + Band 2

Group 3 = Band 5 + Band 2 + Band 12

Group 4 = Band 2 + Band 25

EDIT: And yes, there is quite a bit of LTE Roaming+ which only appears in Group 4 (meaning it's band 25 only) -- CCA / RRPP?

• Like 1

Group 1 = Band 5

EDIT: And yes, there is quite a bit of LTE Roaming+ which only appears in Group 4 (meaning it's band 25 only) -- CCA / RRPP?

How did you come to determine those group and band associations?  Did you find some embedded metadata during your map mining process?

Regardless, I would take any of the Sprint coverage tool LTE roaming maps with a grain of salt right now.  It may take a few weeks or even months to get settled.  For example, Rickie posted earlier today that the LG G4 is one of the devices that can be selected and shows LTE roaming footprint now.  However, the map is of one of the groups, not the broadest LTE roaming footprint -- even though the LG G4 is a Sprint variant handset and fully CCA/RRPP compliant across all bands.

To elaborate a bit further, those handsets that can be selected and display any LTE roaming footprint right now all seem to default to group 4.  The differences in Nex-Tech Wireless coverage in Kansas show this quite clearly.  So, maybe the only LTE roaming presently accessible is band 2, band 25, or both via MFBI.

AJ

Group 1 = Band 5

Yes, to follow up again, you or Sprint will need to double check the group and band associations.  Nex-Tech Wireless in Kansas holds no Cellular 850 MHz spectrum, so band 5 is out of the question.  However, what you show as group 1 has LTE roaming coverage within the Nex-Tech footprint.  That cannot be band 5.

AJ

LTE roaming is nice, but it makes that 100/300MB limit seem a lot smaller. My sister went through her entire roaming allowance tonight. I know data use is data use, but LTE makes it much easier to use up vs evdo/1x.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, to follow up again, you or Sprint will need to double check the group and band associations.  Nex-Tech Wireless in Kansas holds no Cellular 850 MHz spectrum, so band 5 is out of the question.  However, what you show as group 1 has LTE roaming coverage within the Nex-Tech footprint.  That cannot be band 5.

It's band 12. I'll run through it again later.

It's band 12. I'll run through it again later.

Nex-Tech holds Lower 700 MHz licenses, so band 12 makes sense.

AJ

LTE roaming is nice, but it makes that 100/300MB limit seem a lot smaller. My sister went through her entire roaming allowance tonight. I know data use is data use, but LTE makes it much easier to use up vs evdo/1x.

That is on the person.  We make no excuses here.

AJ

That is on the person. We make no excuses here.

AJ

I'm not making any excuses. But they may want to reevaluate roaming on a whole. They give far better international options than they do for domestic.

• Like 1

I'm not making any excuses. But they may want to reevaluate roaming on a whole. They give far better international options than they do for domestic.

How about no data roaming?  Does that sound good?  It could happen.

AJ

How about no data roaming? Does that sound good? It could happen.

AJ

Sure, if they also make my plan cheaper or actually follow through on their planned network expansion in a timely manner.

• Like 1

Sure, if they also make my plan cheaper or actually follow through on their planned network expansion in a timely manner.

No, sorry, you signed on under previous or current circumstances.  Sprint does not owe you anything more.  No lower plan costs, no network expansion.

That is a dose of reality.  Maybe the future will be different.  But we do not know.  And that is my point.

AJ

No, sorry, you signed on under previous or current circumstances.  Sprint does not owe you anything more.  No lower plan costs, no network expansion.

That is a dose of reality.  Maybe the future will be different.  But we do not know.  And that is my point.

AJ

I was replying toward your response of removing roaming data all together. You are right, I signed on with data roaming available. I was simply stating they may want to overhaul their domestic roaming options when they have far better options available for international. And to be clear, I'm not asking for anything for free.

I was replying toward your response of removing roaming data all together. You are right, I signed on with data roaming available. I was simply stating they may want to overhaul their domestic roaming options when they have far better options available for international. And to be clear, I'm not asking for anything for free.

Domestic data roaming is expensive.  Sprint competes against VZW, USCC, etc.  They do not have economic initiative to help each other at reduced roaming rates.  That is not likely to change.  And even if the FCC were to take action, roaming rates still would not be cheap.

AJ

Domestic data roaming is expensive.  Sprint competes against VZW, USCC, etc.  They do not have economic initiative to help each other at reduced roaming rates.  That is not likely to change.  And even if the FCC were to take action, roaming rates still would not be cheap.

AJ

I'm not asking for cheap roaming rates, I know it is expensive. I would just like any option available. On the international side, they have unlimited 2g available or 1GB of high speed plus $15/GB overage. Even if they were to charge double or triple that overage rate, it's better than having nothing available.

I'm not asking for cheap roaming rates, I know it is expensive. I would just like any option available. On the international side, they have unlimited 2g available or 1GB of high speed plus $15/GB overage. Even if they were to charge double or triple that overage rate, it's better than having nothing available.

International is a separate situation.  Sprint does not compete against Vodafone, Telefonica, etc.  See the difference?

AJ

• Like 1