Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

For a carrier that isnt nationwide USCC is a rip off. 60 dollars for1GB of data. Would sprint be able to increase band 26 to 10x10 in USCC areas if they bought them out?

I think they have the reputation of having the best local coverage. At least in Wisconsin they have that rep.

Heck there are a few areas that if I drop Sprint signal.. There's a strong USC signal to Roam on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced what I believe to be LTE roaming on US Cellular today on us-151 about halfway between Madison Wisconsin and Dubuque Iowa. The data performance was very solid.

2aa34fa4a26718494a68a2632bdda329.jpg

acce338e2c8e01f8b3fa4817472bb224.jpg

• Like 3

I experienced what I believe to be LTE roaming on US Cellular today on us-151 about halfway between Madison Wisconsin and Dubuque Iowa. The data performance was very solid.

What device were you using?

So a full weekend of roaming in KY, LTE speeds were unthrottled until hit hard cap of 300MB.

The 3G was good on Bluegrass pulling it over 2Mbps. Appalachian Wireless isn't native roaming, and has a 150Kbps throttle, unless it just sucks as a 3G provider.

At least Bluegrass seemed like 1x was PCS and CDMA was 850MHz. CDMA was always +10dBm stronger.

I'm not 100%, but it seemed like Bluegrass Cellular counted against LTE and 3G rushing buckets. Not 100% though on that but have that sneaking suspicion.

So a full weekend of roaming in KY, LTE speeds were unthrottled until hit hard cap of 300MB.

The 3G was good on Bluegrass pulling it over 2Mbps. Appalachian Wireless isn't native roaming, and has a 150Kbps throttle, unless it just sucks as a 3G provider.

At least Bluegrass seemed like 1x was PCS and CDMA was 850MHz. CDMA was always +10dBm stronger.

I'm not 100%, but it seemed like Bluegrass Cellular counted against LTE and 3G rushing buckets. Not 100% though on that but have that sneaking suspicion.

Bluegrass Cellular is supposed to be extended coverage and thus not count against your roaming.

Also, were you roaming on Bluegrass LTE? If so where?

I live in the Bluegrass Cellular area and still haven't seen LTE roaming on my iPhone 6s Plus. Then again I haven't went to an area yet where only BG was available.

Yeah, when we got into Manchester, we just started roaming on Appalachian Wireless and my wife went through 100MB roaming already (checked via sprint.com).  That shouldn't of happened.  So not sure what happened there.

As far as Bluegrass LTE, I was driving and my wife commented on LTE outside of Sprint coverage, so that is all I got to go on.  I don't have SCP running on her phone as I just use engineering screen but was unable to look at it.   On Appalachian Wireless the LTE was 10MHz B12, ran one speed test and got 10Mbps with decent signal.  

Thats pretty cool.  I emailed Apalachian Wireless about some lack of coverage in Oneida.  Small town of ~400 where there is a school.  Zero coverage in that town for anyone.  I told them to install at least a microcell for the small community.  I went there for a high school graduation and there were and are a ton of people in that little town.  

They actually replied back to me, even though I told them I have Sprint and know that they are Sprint's roaming partner! Pretty cool customer support. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Map got updated 5/16.

I see a little new LTE coverage from Blue Ridge, GA to Ellijay, GA.  Looks like 4 or 5 towers finally got LTE online.

From the two previous maps, it seems like Sprint is plucking away at the 3G->LTE conversion.

Don't know why Alabama isn't getting any love.  Seems like 3G to LTE has all but stopped, there is no B41 present in the whole state and place like Birmingham could have a 2nd PCS LTE carrier but does not.

My brother lives in Ellijay. He'll be happy to see that.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

Any LTE roaming at Yellowstone National Park?  I see some purple for 3G, whom is that roaming provider? On coverage maps says "Nationwide Sprint Network"

Any LTE roaming at Yellowstone National Park?  I see some purple for 3G, whom is that roaming provider? On coverage maps says "Nationwide Sprint Network"

That shade of purple is actually "Extended Network" which is one of the roaming partners. 

Roaming in these areas counts as on network usage. Similar level of service as on network, but not all services may be available

Any LTE roaming at Yellowstone National Park? I see some purple for 3G, whom is that roaming provider? On coverage maps says "Nationwide Sprint Network"

Nope, I was just there this week. No service period actually on any of the big 4 in most of the park. Verizon had CDMA service at Old Faithful that I could roam on, and Verizon LTE was there too. But once I left the buildings there it was back to no service on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T.

I think this is the microwave relay Verizon was using (no wifi at any of the buildings), and there was a corresponding one at the west entrance to the park.

f76477224f653698b9679bf1ee78b112.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Does anybody know what provider has service in Robbinsville, NC and Hillsville, VA? Both show as extended LTE on the map. Also, will either place count again my 300MB limit? Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I believe that is US Cellular territory, and will count toward roaming.

Between the two cities, though, is Carolina West Wireless, which may or may not count. 

- Trip

I believe that is US Cellular territory, and will count toward roaming.

Between the two cities, though, is Carolina West Wireless, which may or may not count. 

- Trip

Thanks for the quick response. It's good to know I'll have to go easy on data. I just downloaded a bunch of music and offline maps, so I shouldn't need too much data while I'm out of native service. I'll have wifi in the hotel too, so I should be fine.  

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has trouble reading Sprint's map (Like I do) because of the similar shades of yellow, I found Sprint's map but with different colors. It is on Boost Mobile's website, so it doesn't have some of the LTE roaming agreements like with USCC, but it's pretty much the same otherwise. I definitely found it helpful. 

https://coverage.sprint.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=BO543STC

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Not sure if this is new, but I just noticed that Sprint's towers in Rappahannock County, Virginia are not included on the map, even though, to my knowledge, Sprint is the only carrier with coverage in large parts of that county. 

On top of that, no B41 is shown in the Shentel region even though we know it exists.

I'm also puzzled to see that US Cellular is unavailable for LTE roaming in Halifax County, VA, even though the surrounding US Cellular counties do have it.

- Trip

Ok, so I think I finally figured out the color for this category. So am I reading the map correctly and see there is no coverage of this sort in NM?

There is a very limited area of "Extended Coverage" (EVDO) on the border with Texas, but it does not add much at all to the overall footprint.

Sent from my LG G4

• 2 weeks later...

On the coverage maps, Sprint needs to add another color under "3G and more". They should have a color were we are guaranteed 3G off-network roaming.  Like USCC territory and Appalachian Wireless territory.  Roaming on these networks should have a different color, as the 3G vs 1X experience is a huge difference.