Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

On the coverage maps, Sprint needs to add another color under "3G and more". They should have a color were we are guaranteed 3G off-network roaming. Like USCC territory and Appalachian Wireless territory. Roaming on these networks should have a different color, as the 3G vs 1X experience is a huge difference.

Since Verizon roaming is EVDO now, it doesn't really make a difference. Everything is pretty much 3G speed. I think that 3G roaming plus should be marked though.

Since Verizon roaming is EVDO now, it doesn't really make a difference. Everything is pretty much 3G speed. I think that 3G roaming plus should be marked though.

Well, I have yet to really successfully roam on VZW 3G. I'll connect to EVDO but get nothing on it.

Well, I have yet to really successfully roam on VZW 3G. I'll connect to EVDO but get nothing on it.

That's how I felt for a while. What I've found is that in market roaming tends to fail but out of market roaming works. I can't explain it but I've observed it many times.

The Extended 3G or Roaming+ areas are marked.... They are purple.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

Not on the LTE map...

Not on the LTE map...

That's because it's not LTE, it's 3G. If you want to see 3G roaming then you have to go to the 3G map. LTE roaming is on the LTE map. There are already enough colors on it as it is. To have 7 different colors on one map seems like overkill.

• Like 2

That's because it's not LTE, it's 3G. If you want to see 3G roaming then you have to go to the 3G map. LTE roaming is on the LTE map. There are already enough colors on it as it is. To have 7 different colors on one map seems like overkill.

Maybe sprint should just show roaming+ coverage as native. That would make things a lot simpler - they would only need 3 colors. LTE Plus, LTE and 3G. They could put slashes on roaming areas the way ATT does on their map. Things would be a lot cleaner and easier to understand then...

Maybe sprint should just show roaming+ coverage as native. That would make things a lot simpler - they would only need 3 colors. LTE Plus, LTE and 3G. They could put slashes on roaming areas the way ATT does on their map. Things would be a lot cleaner and easier to understand then...

While it would make it seem simpler to make Roaming+ native on he map, it would make it difficult for those looking to activate service. AFAIK, you can't activate service in those areas and if Sprint shows it as native, many people will be mislead into believing Sprint sells service in that area. That's why the distinction needs to be made.

Also since there are two types of 3G roaming, you can't simply have one color for it. 

At the very least, Sprint needs a color for LTE Plus, LTE, native EVDO, pseudo-native LTE Roaming, LTE Roaming, pseudo-native EVDO, and general roaming(including both 1x and EVDO). That's 7 different colors for one map.

Not on the LTE map...

That's because it's not LTE, it's 3G. If you want to see 3G roaming then you have to go to the 3G map.

This highway map does not show elevation levels.  Why?  Because it is not a topographic map.

Obvious answer is obvious.

;)

AJ

• Like 5

Except Roaming+ (remember they changed the name again, it's now called the "Extended Network" ie Extended LTE) is still treated as roaming on your device. Wouldn't it be confusing for a regular user (not S4GRU person) to be in an extended area that shows as native on the map and yet your device shows roaming?

• Like 4

Except Roaming+ (remember they changed the name again, it's now called the "Extended Network" ie Extended LTE) is still treated as roaming on your device. Wouldn't it be confusing for a regular user (not S4GRU person) to be in an extended area that shows as native on the map and yet your device shows roaming?

That is all fixable on Sprint's side - if they do want to simplify things for the end user.

That is all fixable on Sprint's side - if they do want to simplify things for the end user.

Or mislead them. It'll be difficult for Sprint to simplify without people getting pissed that they're getting roaming on their phone where it says native on the map, even though it isn't counted as roaming on their account. This is all in an effort to be as transparent as possible.

I support changing the maps but I don't see how they can simplify it without pissing a lot of people off int he process. The reason why other carrier's maps seem so simple is because they don't have the extensive roaming agreements that Sprint does. 

• Like 2

Or mislead them. It'll be difficult for Sprint to simplify without people getting pissed that they're getting roaming on their phone where it says native on the map, even though it isn't counted as roaming on their account. This is all in an effort to be as transparent as possible.

I support changing the maps but I don't see how they can simplify it without pissing a lot of people off int he process. The reason why other carrier's maps seem so simple is because they don't have the extensive roaming agreements that Sprint does.

As I said, all fixable by Sprint. Sprint controlls when your phone says roaming and when it does not. Sprint also asks you to enter your zip when opening an account. Most people aren't cross checking the result when they enter their zip with the coverage map and even if they are, there is nothing wrong with having service in an area but not selling service in that area. It is ultimately Sprint's decision but I think consolidating the map and eliminating Roaming+ would make things a lot simpler and cleaner. Also, it would just look a lot better to the average joe who wants to see where Sprint customers have access to LTE data that comes out of their plan because that is ultimately what Roaming+ is.

• Like 3

As I said, all fixable by Sprint. Sprint controlls when your phone says roaming and when it does not. Sprint also asks you to enter your zip when opening an account. Most people aren't cross checking the result when they enter their zip with the coverage map and even if they are, there is nothing wrong with having service in an area but not selling service in that area. It is ultimately Sprint's decision but I think consolidating the map and eliminating Roaming+ would make things a lot simpler and cleaner. Also, it would just look a lot better to the average joe who wants to see where Sprint customers have access to LTE data that comes out of their plan because that is ultimately what Roaming+ is.

Ok but the point that keeps going over your head is that in Roaming+ areas, Sprint CANNOT sell their service. It would be misleading if your phone showed native service in that area and yet you couldn't even open a line if you lived there. That is what is preventing them from showing Roaming+ as native on your phone and on the coverage map. The portion of your comment that I bolded is also something that is incorrect. I'd venture to say most people do check the type of service that they're receiving in their home area and nine times out of 10 that'll be the zip code that they're going to sign up for service with. If I went to sign up for service with a carrier and on the coverage map it said there was native service but then on they tell me I can't because they don't serve my area, I'm going to be pissed.

Do I think Sprint has way too man colors, yes. However removing Roaming+ in my observation would only add to the confusion of the map especially for new customers. To suggest that they consolidate everything would be detrimental to Sprint's image and only add to the confusion.

• Like 2

Ok but the point that keeps going over your head is that in Roaming+ areas, Sprint CANNOT sell their service. It would be misleading if your phone showed native service in that area and yet you couldn't even open a line if you lived there. That is what is preventing them from showing Roaming+ as native on your phone and on the coverage map. The portion of your comment that I bolded is also something that is incorrect. I'd venture to say most people do check the type of service that they're receiving in their home area and nine times out of 10 that'll be the zip code that they're going to sign up for service with. If I went to sign up for service with a carrier and on the coverage map it said there was native service but then on they tell me I can't because they don't serve my area, I'm going to be pissed.

Do I think Sprint has way too man colors, yes. However removing Roaming+ in my observation would only add to the confusion of the map especially for new customers. To suggest that they consolidate everything would be detrimental to Sprint's image and only add to the confusion.

Ok so I see where the disconnect is betweeen is - I think it's ok to have "native" service in an area and not sell service in that area and you don't feel the same way. It's totally fine that we disagree. I don't mean to start a fight - just giving my two cents.

If they are going to consolidate, they can eliminate the "Nationwide Sprint Network" part of the map. I don't think there is any meaningful coverage left that is 1x only. I mean if you are deep in a building you might only get 1x, but I don't think any sites are broadcasting 1x without EVDO, are there. I think even the Verizon roaming supports EVDO, right, even if maybe the Verizon EVDOP network is unusable in some areas

There should be a single map that allows you to select different layers that you can select or de-select with checkboxes. From top to bottom the layers should be LTE Plus(yellow), LTE(orange), 3G(green), roaming plus(purple, some are 3G only right now, but all should eventually be LTE, so keep this as one item on the map), LTE roaming(light orange), 3G roaming(light green). If you want to see just certain layers, just uncheck others. Will be very helpful in the future when you have LTE only small cells.

• Like 3

If they are going to consolidate, they can eliminate the "Nationwide Sprint Network" part of the map. I don't think there is any meaningful coverage left that is 1x only. I mean if you are deep in a building you might only get 1x, but I don't think any sites are broadcasting 1x without EVDO, are there. I think even the Verizon roaming supports EVDO, right, even if maybe the Verizon EVDOP network is unusable in some areas

There should be a single map that allows you to select different layers that you can select or de-select with checkboxes. From top to bottom the layers should be LTE Plus(yellow), LTE(orange), 3G(green), roaming plus(purple, some are 3G only right now, but all should eventually be LTE, so keep this as one item on the map), LTE roaming(light orange), 3G roaming(light green). If you want to see just certain layers, just uncheck others. Will be very helpful in the future when you have LTE only small cells.

Some small regional carriers which Sprint uses for voice coverage only offer 1xRTT. West Texas has one of them (name escapes my mind at the moment)

Also, Verizon EVDO roaming is only in select areas. As of this 4th of July weekend, I could only call and text when roaming on Verizon (no 1x data).

Some small regional carriers which Sprint uses for voice coverage only offer 1xRTT. West Texas has one of them (name escapes my mind at the moment)

Also, Verizon EVDO roaming is only in select areas. As of this 4th of July weekend, I could only call and text when roaming on Verizon (no 1x data).

Would it be Commnet you are thinking of? That's what I would roam on out in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah area. And it was almost impossible to get any data connection on Comment no matter what tower I was connected to. Worst roaming experience EVER!

This is also true in western Nebraska.  Some Verizon roaming is 1x and some EVDO.  I was able to use 1x data.

I should note the "Sprint Nationwide Network" is/was NATIVE Sprint 1x only coverage.  And I think pretty much all the Sprint sites that are still 3G only at this point should also have at least EVDO on them, right? So while the amount of 1x only roaming areas is falling, we don't need that to disappear to eliminate "Sprint Nationwide Network" layer from the map, we only need to eliminate Sprint's 1x only coverage areas. (That doesn't mean you get LTE or EVDO in all situations, it just means that you don't have sites broadcasting 1x without EVDO or LTE)

Frankly, you could argue that LTE plus doesn't need to be a separate layer either. It's useful to wireless nerds like us, but for end users I think it's less important. You need to know if you have LTE or 3G; and you need to know native, "Extended" (aka roaming+), or roaming (aka no service if you are prepaid); or if you have no service at all. 

I expect in the 2020s that EVDO will pretty much disappear. You will see 1x hanging on in small chunks of spectrum in BC0 and BC10. The amount of capacity gained by shutting down those last carriers of 1x will be so small, especially for Sprint with its multimode equipment, while the coverage you give up in certain situation will be so large that I think you will see 1x coverage stick around for a while for very basic services. 1xA is a very efficient user of spectrum when you don't need to push lots of data over it.

• Like 1

I should note the "Sprint Nationwide Network" is/was NATIVE Sprint 1x only coverage.  And I think pretty much all the Sprint sites that are still 3G only at this point should also have at least EVDO on them, right? So while the amount of 1x only roaming areas is falling, we don't need that to disappear to eliminate "Sprint Nationwide Network" layer from the map, we only need to eliminate Sprint's 1x only coverage areas. (That doesn't mean you get LTE or EVDO in all situations, it just means that you don't have sites broadcasting 1x without EVDO or LTE)

Frankly, you could argue that LTE plus doesn't need to be a separate layer either. It's useful to wireless nerds like us, but for end users I think it's less important. You need to know if you have LTE or 3G; and you need to know native, "Extended" (aka roaming+), or roaming (aka no service if you are prepaid); or if you have no service at all. 

I like this idea a lot.

I expect in the 2020s that EVDO will pretty much disappear. You will see 1x hanging on in small chunks of spectrum in BC0 and BC10. The amount of capacity gained by shutting down those last carriers of 1x will be so small, especially for Sprint with its multimode equipment, while the coverage you give up in certain situation will be so large that I think you will see 1x coverage stick around for a while for very basic services. 1xA is a very efficient user of spectrum when you don't need to push lots of data over it.

EV-DO is unlikely to linger into the 2020s.  It should be sunset within the next 2-3 years.

For CDMA1X, in the many markets where Sprint holds an intact PCS A/B block 15 MHz FDD license, Sprint might be able to squeeze a single CDMA1X band class 1 carrier alongside a 15 MHz FDD band 25 LTE carrier.

1.25 + 13.5 = 14.75

That feasibility is questionable, though, since it would leave only 0.25 MHz for guard bands divided three ways -- at the bottom of the block, at the top of the block, and in between CDMA1X and LTE.  However, both AT&T and T-Mobile have been aggressive in reducing/overlapping W-CDMA skirts and stuffing GSM channels into internal guard bands.  Sprint may be able to do likewise.

AJ

• Like 2

EV-DO is unlikely to linger into the 2020s.  It should be sunset within the next 2-3 years.

I guess it's only 2016, so you a probably right about that. I figured 3-4 years more before it's all gone.But that is basically 2020, not into the rest of the decade.  

For CDMA1X, in the many markets where Sprint holds an intact PCS A/B block 15 MHz FDD license, Sprint might be able to squeeze a single CDMA1X band class 1 carrier alongside a 15 MHz FDD band 25 LTE carrier.

1.25 + 13.5 = 14.75

That feasibility is questionable, though, since it would leave only 0.25 MHz for guard bands divided three ways -- at the bottom of the block, at the top of the block, and in between CDMA1X and LTE.  However, both AT&T and T-Mobile have been aggressive in reducing/overlapping W-CDMA skirts and stuffing GSM channels into internal guard bands.  Sprint may be able to do likewise.

AJ

The place I'm guessing their last reminding CDMA carrier(s) will be is in 800Mhz, at least in most of the country. In places where they have a full 6-8Mhz of 800Mhz spectrum, I could see 1-2 1xA carriers and a 5x5 LTE carrier. In other areas where they don't have enough spectrum to get a 5x5 LTE and at least one CDMA career, like in a few spectrum constrained markets or in border areas, They will either end up foregoing 1xA in those areas or maybe doing 3x3 LTE and 1xA, probably depending on just how quickly they can get VoLTE rolled out.

• 1 month later...

Most of the drive from northwest of Des Moines, IA up to Okoboji, IA is in US Cellular roaming territory. However, for most of the drive despite being connected to US Cellular LTE, I had no data connection whatsoever.

5a78d107f784ee79f4bd3034bb6df994.jpg