Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

The coverage map tool clearly is still under construction overnight. But some LTE roaming coverage may be band limited. For example, USCC band 5 may be included but not band 12 -- or vice versa.

AJ

That would make sense. Maybe I'll drive out on I-90 tomorrow and check it out.

Edit: don't sprint devices released in the last 2 or so years support both bands though?

That would make sense. Maybe I'll drive out on I-90 tomorrow and check it out.

Edit: don't sprint devices released in the last 2 or so years support both bands though?

Device compatibility does not mean that all roaming bands will be available to Sprint.  USCC devices generally support only band 25, for example.  Additionally, there are political and financial aspects in play.

AJ

Device compatibility does not mean that all roaming bands will be available to Sprint.  USCC devices generally support only band 25, for example.  Additionally, there are political and financial aspects in play.

AJ

Oh I see...USCC only has LTE on bands 5 and 12 right?

Depends. There are parts of the country where they have AWS spectrum like in Knoxville. I can't speak to whether they have used that spectrum for LTE with absolute certainty but it is likely.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mostly, yes.  Entirely, not sure.  Some LTE could be band 2 or band 4.

AJ

Mostly, yes.  Entirely, not sure.  Some LTE could be band 2 or band 4.

AJ

Ok. What I really wonder is whether I will be able to pick up USCC LTE where Sprint 3G is available and what the carrier indicator will be. Hopefully I'll be able to drive out tomorrow and check.

Ok. What I really wonder is whether I will be able to pick up USCC LTE where Sprint 3G is available and what the carrier indicator will be. Hopefully I'll be able to drive out tomorrow and check.

I would imagine that if Sprint EVDO is available, you will not be able to roam on another carrier's LTE. Especially one like USCC, where it is fully roaming rather than Roaming+. 

Ok. What I really wonder is whether I will be able to pick up USCC LTE where Sprint 3G is available...

No, definitely not.

AJ

Am I missing something here? Scrolling the map there's a tiny amount of Roaming+ coverage. Lots of light vs dark green.

Sprint gives US Cellular roaming nationwide that can be included with their plans and we can't get Roaming+ back?

Yawn. A step in the right direction but work needs to be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aww. I was hoping Carolina West Wireless's fledgling LTE network would show up in some way. I guess that's just so new on their end it's gonna be a while before it's added.

Plus I'm not even sure what band it's on. Nothing on their website, no coverage maps, just a list of counties it's available in. It *might* be on B13 as they're in LTEiRA, but since VZW runs a skeleton B13 LTE network through most of their footprint it's probably on their own spectrum. Their website says download speeds from 10-15 mbps, so it's probably a 5x5 or maybe even a 3x3 (would make sense if in CLR). I've tried to get to a store to check on the display phones, but I'm always in Watauga County on Sundays.

They're RRPP and already have reciprocal pseudo-native 3G with Sprint so if/when it is finalized I'm guessing it'll be LTE Roaming+.

Still good news: the vast, vast swaths of USCC LTE in east and west NC are open! I'll be able to test that out in about 3 weeks on a N5X and an HTC E8. I'm finally gonna have service on that annoying stretch of I-40 about halfway from Asheville to Knoxvile!

• Like 3

have users seen this working yet?

what i dont understand is southern maine, while it has sprint coverage, shows areas of regular roaming (which its always been) but no LTE roaming but i know USCC has LTE all over now.

go further north where there has never been sprint coverage and roaming is shown as available on the map.

Does LTE roam essentially anywhere the roaming partner has service, they just wont show it on the map for strategic reasons if sprint exists within X miles?

do the standards for LTE roaming allow configuring allowed areas down to the specific tower and area level (versus CDMA roaming is by SID)?

do the standards for LTE roaming allow configuring allowed areas down to the specific tower and area level (versus CDMA roaming is by SID)?

PRL based roaming is defined by SID/NID.  LTE based roaming is defined by TAC, which commonly is similar to the size of a NID but can be reduced to the size of an individual site.  If you use SignalCheck Pro, you can view your current TAC.

AJ

Am I missing something here? Scrolling the map there's a tiny amount of Roaming+ coverage. Lots of light vs dark green.

Sprint gives US Cellular roaming nationwide that can be included with their plans and we can't get Roaming+ back?

Yawn. A step in the right direction but work needs to be done.

You look a gift horse in the mouth.  Hey, you got LTE roaming on USCC only a few months after you got EV-DO roaming on USCC.  You should be rejoicing.

And, no, USCC does not include Sprint LTE roaming in its plans.  USCC imposes a data roaming cap -- just like Sprint does.

AJ

• Like 1

I would imagine that if Sprint EVDO is available, you will not be able to roam on another carrier's LTE. Especially one like USCC, where it is fully roaming rather than Roaming+.

What about Roaming+? If there is sprint 3G, and Roaming+ LTE, will our phones hop to the LTE? I mean if it's free then why not

What about Roaming+? If there is sprint 3G, and Roaming+ LTE, will our phones hop to the LTE? I mean if it's free then why not

Sprint devices will attach itself to native sprint network no matter what. Roaming+ triggers the roaming icon thus it is lower priority than native coverage. It just is not counted against roaming caps if you're accessing a roaming+ partner network.

Sprint devices will attach itself to native sprint network no matter what. Roaming+ triggers the roaming icon thus it is lower priority than native coverage. It just is not counted against roaming caps if you're accessing a roaming+ partner network.

I thought Roaming+ was pseudo native?

I thought Roaming+ was pseudo native?

It is.

You can use the partner network to your hearts content like if you're on the sprint network with the limits (if there is any) being your sprint plan and it won't count against roaming caps.

It doesn't mean they're truly native. Pseudo native means they act as though they're native. These are still independent (though now closely intertwined with sprint) networks and sprint does not want users permanent roaming.

You look a gift horse in the mouth. Hey, you got LTE roaming on USCC only a few months after you got EV-DO roaming on USCC. You should be rejoicing.

And, no, USCC does not include Sprint LTE roaming in its plans. USCC imposes a data roaming cap -- just like Sprint does.

AJ

Aww a gift horse. Most people don't know what that actually means.

Sent from my iPhone 6 64GB using Tapatalk

It is.

You can use the partner network to your hearts content like if you're on the sprint network with the limits (if there is any) being your sprint plan and it won't count against roaming caps.

It doesn't mean they're truly native. Pseudo native means they act as though they're native. These are still independent (though now closely intertwined with sprint) networks and sprint does not want users permanent roaming.

Wait so the phone will say extended when you're on Roaming+?

I have no problems uscc being lte roaming, I would like a higher cap then 100/300 mbs on the roaming though

Roaming costs money.  Would you be willing to pay more per month?

AJ