Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

Hmm. Honestly beginning to question whether I'm getting this thing. I'm experiencing more and more RAM-related freezes on my Nexus 5 so I fear 2GB may not be enough. But I'll wait until after Marshmallow hits and I can do a proper factory reset to judge that.

I just wish someone would make a decent 5 inch phone with no compromises (even if it costs more).

Maybe I'll wait till the Cat 9 X10 modems hit and see if anyone releases a "small" flagship with 3xCA to really future-proof myself.

If you are still on SERO, do you have the right to complain about anything? Did Russ say that it was okay to whine?

Or should you just thank your lucky stars that you are still getting such sweetheart/sham charity? As another S4GRU staffer and I discussed, SERO plan users with subsidy are on welfare -- subsidized by Sprint and the rest of us.

AJ

Why are you so bitter about SERO plans? Sprint doesn't seem to have an issue with it if they're still honoring SERO plans, so why do you?
  • Like 2

Why are you so bitter about SERO plans? Sprint doesn't seem to have an issue with it if they're still honoring SERO plans, so why do you?

This is getting really off topic... But the reason most people on S4GRU have issues with SERO and most of the older plans are that they are so dirt cheap, and included unlimited. Most on here seem to agree that unlimited should be a premium service and carry a premium cost associated with it.

SERO represents a service being rendered for an amount that is an obsolete steal and doesn't provide the return to Sprint that it should.

Hmm. Honestly beginning to question whether I'm getting this thing. I'm experiencing more and more RAM-related freezes on my Nexus 5 so I fear 2GB may not be enough. But I'll wait until after Marshmallow hits and I can do a proper factory reset to judge that.

This, I do not get.

I am hardly a Luddite, nor a cheapskate. In my house, I have tens of thousands of dollars of technology -- including no fewer than half a dozen laptop or desktop computers.  None of them have greater than 4 GB of RAM, which should be enough.  Software developers are getting fat and lazy -- why so much RAM usage?  Pushing 3-4 GB on smartphones, are you kidding me?  Or are you users running too many simultaneous apps?  You do not have to do that.  As the famous doctor joke goes, "Well, stop doing that."

Maybe I'll wait till the Cat 9 X10 modems hit and see if anyone releases a "small" flagship with 3xCA to really future-proof myself.

The Snapdragon 808 and 810 chipsets already incorporate Category 9 Snapdragon X10 basebands on die. Are you instead thinking of the the Snapdragon X12?

AJ

This, I do not get.

I am hardly a Luddite, nor a cheapskate. In my house, I have tens of thousands of dollars of technology -- including no fewer than half a dozen laptop or desktop computers. None of them have greater than 4 GB of RAM, which should be enough. Software developers are getting fat and lazy -- why so much RAM usage? Pushing 3-4 GB on smartphones, are you kidding me? Or are you users running too many simultaneous apps? You do not have to do that. As the famous doctor joke goes, "Well, stop doing that."

The Snapdragon 808 and 810 chipsets already incorporate Category 9 Snapdragon X10 basebands on die. Are you instead thinking of the the Snapdragon X12?

AJ

The biggest issue for me is the fragmenting of the messaging ecosystem. Facebook, WhatsApp, Kik, Snapchat, etc, I have them all on my phone to keep in touch with people. So all of them running in the background with a couple of chrome tabs (hardly a RAM efficient browser) eats up all my RAM. I would love one messaging app to cover them all, but it hasn't happened.

This, I do not get.

I am hardly a Luddite, nor a cheapskate. In my house, I have tens of thousands of dollars of technology -- including no fewer than half a dozen laptop or desktop computers.  None of them have greater than 4 GB of RAM, which should be enough.  Software developers are getting fat and lazy -- why so much RAM usage?  Pushing 3-4 GB on smartphones, are you kidding me?  Or are you users running too many simultaneous apps?  You do not have to do that.  As the famous doctor joke goes, "Well, stop doing that."

AJ

Spotify + More than 1 Chrome Tab = Random Force Closes of Both due to low RAM. At least in my current Lollipop install (stock w/ xposed). Again, I'll do a full wipe/reset for Marshmallow and hopefully it will get better. I do suspect the issue lies in my Android install, as after a few hours of running the system is eating over 900MB with no apps running.

I haven't been following chipsets as much as I like to lately; I was under the impression that for some reason most high-tier phones lately only had cat 6 and 7 modems? I'm probably just mixing that up. The X10 can do 3xCA, right? And I thought the X12 was a long way off?

Spotify + More than 1 Chrome Tab = Random Force Closes of Both due to low RAM. At least in my current Lollipop install (stock w/ xposed). Again, I'll do a full wipe/reset for Marshmallow and hopefully it will get better. I do suspect the issue lies in my Android install, as after a few hours of running the system is eating over 900MB with no apps running.

I haven't been following chipsets as much as I like to lately; I was under the impression that for some reason most high-tier phones lately only had cat 6 and 7 modems? I'm probably just mixing that up. The X10 can do 3xCA, right? And I thought the X12 was a long way off?

I run Amazon Prime streaming + multiple Chrome tabs or Pandora + multiple Chrome tabs, all the time. I can even do that with my BlackBerry Z30, which is running Android and BBOS. All with 2GB of RAM. And still only be using 1.5-1.7GB. And I'm running other apps too at that time. Either Spotify is a major resource hog or your device has a RAM problem.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

I run Amazon Prime streaming + multiple Chrome tabs or Pandora + multiple Chrome tabs, all the time. I can even do that with my BlackBerry Z30, which is running Android and BBOS. All with 2GB of RAM. And still only be using 1.5-1.7GB. And I'm running other apps too at that time. Either Spotify is a major resource hog or your device has a RAM problem.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

It's probably my device then. I'm noticing it more and more lately; I'll report back after a wipe when 6.0 hits.

SERO represents a service being rendered for an amount that is an obsolete steal and doesn't provide the return to Sprint that it should.

I must have missed that article, but what does it cost sprint to provide me service each month, that way I can get a better idea about how much they are "losing" on my SERO plan. 

• Like 1

People are going to go for the best value period.  You can't blame the consumer for having a SERO plan, but you can blame Sprint.  I'm on ED 1500 and I'm holding onto my subsidy for as long as I can, but at the rate things are going, I'll end up switching to financing anyways. 

• Like 1

My biggest ram usage is opening large PDFs and documents and also when I have a lot of active chrome tabs. I have definitely seen slowdowns on my N5 related to maxing out ram.

PDF's do it to me too.  Fortunately, I don't use them often.  And just clear RAM when complete.

People are going to go for the best value period.  You can't blame the consumer for having a SERO plan, but you can blame Sprint.  I'm on ED 1500 and I'm holding onto my subsidy for as long as I can, but at the rate things are going, I'll end up switching to financing anyways. 

I was in your boat. ED + 4 lines. I switched to the financing when I saw how much cheaper it was for the plans. Now I wish I wouldn't have switched though. 

Tied to both phones for 24 months and once you add in my 2 leases, I'm not saving anything anymore. If I want to go back to subsidies, it adds $15 per line.

• Like 1

Not impressed. Battery is meh. RAM needed to go up to 3GB. Storage maxes out at 32GB. USB C-Type means I have to buy all new cables for everything and lack of wireless charging has me worried. Also no expandable memory. I'm going to just hold out for new phone next year.

Sent from my M8

So pretty much Android Police nailed it.  I was hoping they would be wrong in some aspect.  Despite all the letdowns on the specs, spec wise I am ok with the Nexus 6P.  I guess I should wait until I can demo the unit and read reviews before deciding.  The other question is since its not available to upgrade via carriers, I have to decide if I should go with the Nexus and buy outright OR choose another phone to take advantage of subsidy OR upgrade to an iPhone and sell it to buy Nexus.

Not impressed. Battery is meh. RAM needed to go up to 3GB. Storage maxes out at 32GB. USB C-Type means I have to buy all new cables for everything and lack of wireless charging has me worried. Also no expandable memory. I'm going to just hold out for new phone next year.

Sent from my M8

That's slightly bigger battery than my s6 edge, which has 2650mah. 

At the price point, $380 with a $50 google play credit, I might bite on this one. Going to wait to see some in hand reports though.

Order placed on Aluminum, 64GB, 4-5 weeks shipping..Wrong thread..Meant for 6P ha.

Wow 4-5 weeks...sheesh. You would think that Google would be more prepared than this especially when they opted for the decision to be the sole distributor of Nexus devices this time around. Its always best to get the devices in the consumers hands as quick as possible.

Wow 4-5 weeks...sheesh. You would think that Google would be more prepared than this especially when they opted for the decision to be the sole distributor of Nexus devices this time around. Its always best to get the devices in the consumers hands as quick as possible.

Its always like that, Nexus get released the beginning of Nov, its a pre-order.

I'm willing to bet shipments will occur mid Oct.  Google tends to over-estimate how long the wait is.  I remember when I ordered the 5 (2013), it shipped like 2 weeks before it actually said it would.

I'm willing to bet shipments will occur mid Oct. Google tends to over-estimate how long the wait is. I remember when I ordered the 5 (2013), it shipped like 2 weeks before it actually said it would.

Yep my Nexus 5 also shipped a week or two early. My friend had the same experience with his Nexus 6 last year.

Well I had to choose and so I went for the 6P over the 5x. I'll be joining the ranks of huge phone users I guess

I ended up doing the same thing.  I figured if I couldn't deal with the size, I'd just sell it and move down to the 5X or Moto X PE.