Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

Crosspost from the 6P thread:

Few options for cables if anyone is looking:

3.3 ft (1 meter)

$12.99 from Google https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable

$9.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=13009&seq=1&format=2

6 ft

$19.99 from Belkin http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU032/

Adapter:

$8.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=13507&seq=1&format=2

Anyways, big fan of Monoprice here. I will probably pick up a spare 3.3ft one and maybe an adapter.  I don't trust random Amazon sellers to provide quality cables.

• Like 3

Crosspost from the 6P thread:

Few options for cables if anyone is looking:

3.3 ft (1 meter)

$12.99 from Google https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable

$9.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030319&p_id=13009&seq=1&format=2

6 ft

$19.99 from Belkin http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU032/

Adapter:

$8.99 from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=13507&seq=1&format=2

Anyways, big fan of Monoprice here. I will probably pick up a spare 3.3ft one and maybe an adapter. I don't trust random Amazon sellers to provide quality cables.

Is this going to be standard going forward for Android devices? The Type C connectors?

What's the benefit of this over micro USB?

Unless there is a major compelling reason to change, I find it ignorant to switch, and now you can't use your charging cable to connect with a computer anymore, and have to get separate cables.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Is this going to be standard going forward for Android devices? The Type C connectors?

What's the benefit of this over micro USB?

Unless there is a major compelling reason to change, I find it ignorant to switch, and now you can't use your charging cable to connect with a computer anymore, and have to get separate cables.

Big benefit is the connector is reversible. There's no wrong way to connect it. It also supports higher data transfer rates if its usb 3.0 3.1 and higher power transfer (up to 100w).

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Big benefit is the connector is reversible. There's no wrong way to connect it. It also supports higher data transfer rates if its usb 3.0 3.1 and higher power transfer (up to 100w).

Sent from my Nexus 5

First one is dumb, feel it or look at it.

Second one is nice, but I think now having to purchase and keep available 2 different cables is a pain in the arse.

Second one is nice, but I think now having to purchase and keep available 2 different cables is a pain in the arse.

Yes, and it will be the new standard. Micro USB will go the way of the Dodo. One new device at a time. Micro USB was nice. But it is now being improved, if only incrementally. And Hopefully Type C will be the new standard for a long time.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

I also read somewhere that when it's fully used, you could use the USB-C cable to say transfer power from one phone to another.  In a rare situation where you may have a fully charged phone and your friend's phone needs a little charge.

I also read somewhere that when it's fully used, you could use the USB-C cable to say transfer power from one phone to another. In a rare situation where you may have a fully charged phone and your friend's phone needs a little charge.

I can see that being a benefit possibly, if it ever happens, but I'm still not sure making consumers buy new chargers and cables is a good thing.

Are we Apple now?

I can see that being a benefit possibly, if it ever happens, but I'm still not sure making consumers buy new chargers and cables is a good thing.

Are we Apple now?

It the nature of the beast.  :-)

Are we Apple now?

This is a new industry standard, developed by the industry via the USB Implementers Forum. It has been in planning for years. It is an incremental upgrade in charging technology. This is not a whim from one OEM to be like Apple and dictate something new (and profit from it). USB Type C will be a new universal charger that will be made by hundreds of companies. Even Apple is adopting it for some of their line. You will be able to use it on even some laptops in the future. It's uptake will be larger than the micro USB, in time.

It is a much bigger leap forward than mini USB to micro USB was. Don't worry, I'm sure they will make cheap Chinese adapters soon. Just $2 and a slow boat from China.

I wouldn't work yourself up on it. It will have no impact to you unless you buy a new device with it. And they will give you one charger for free. Micro USB wasn't going to last forever. At least now chargers are universal (except the iPhone). Remember the old days when each OEM had a different charger? Some even having several.

http://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-one-cable-to-connect-them-all/

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 4

Are we Apple now?

Dude after looking at the microUSB 3.0 port I was pretty much not happy with the way USB was heading with that super ugly port as well as how much bigger real estate it was going to take on devices.  Not to mention as an engineer I felt like limiting the USB port to 9 pins was not going to be sustainable for future growth.  

Now with USB Type-C with 24 pins in the port with 4 pins dedicated for providing power, and 8 pins for data transfer it is definitely setup for future enhancements.  Not to mention one of the main features of the Type-C port is that like the Lightning port it is reversible and not just have to go in one direction like USB 1.0-3.0 and the size of the port is so much smaller which means it can fit into smaller devices.  Yes its going to be some growing pains on your wallet but eventually we all have to adapt for the better but honestly how many cables do you need at this point?  Once USB Type-C becomes more mainstream the economies of scale for the cost of the cables will go down.

• Like 3

Pending.

Me > many of you

;)

AJ

• Like 1

5x: shorter screen, shorter wait.  :(

Shorter wallet, shorter pockets, shorter fingers, shorter penis, shorter patience?  Just what are you implying?

;)

AJ

Anyone purchase any accesories in anticipation of the device yet? Cases.. type c to type a .. etc etc?

If the Google Store were selling a USB Type-C to Micro-USB adapter, I would buy it in a heartbeat.  I want one charger at home for all of my (non Apple) mobile devices.  Alas...

AJ

Anyone purchase any accesories in anticipation of the device yet? Cases.. type c to type a .. etc etc?

I went ahead and ordered a hard case and a soft TPU case from amazon and I plan to return whichever one feels less durable.

If the Google Store were selling a USB Type-C to Micro-USB adapter, I would buy it in a heartbeat.  I want one charger at home for all of my (non Apple) mobile devices.  Alas...

AJ

I rather like the look of this adapter from Monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=13507&seq=1&format=2

I'll be buying one for my computer once I see my 6P go pending

So....https://oneplus.net/type-c-cable

Does this need some sort of adapter or what?  I'm confused about what type of port is needed for the other end.

Looks like a decent price @ ~$6. 

It's a standard usb without the metal frame around it. If you look at a usb you have laying around, you'll see the plastic part in the inside. A lot of thumb drives are coming out like that to reduce size, weight, and I'd assume building materials.

Here's one for an example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RT546SQ?keywords=thin%20usb%20thumb%20drive&qid=1444167169&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

• Like 1

Seeing as how it is thought the SIM card for this would be the same as the Moto X PE, I went to the new Sprint / Radio Shack store in town.  I had the part numbers and such.

I believe it was the manager tells me that I have to go to an actual sprint store or call CS.  I said i have gotten them before from the third party stores.  He then says, "Yea, the sprint stores inside RadioShacks do not have SIM cards.."

Makes you wonder how a Sprint store which sells Sprint devices does not have SIM cards.  I am probably mistaken but i thought the new Radioshack Sprint stores were essentially corporate stores, is this not true?

Seeing as how it is thought the SIM card for this would be the same as the Moto X PE, I went to the new Sprint / Radio Shack store in town. I had the part numbers and such.

I believe it was the manager tells me that I have to go to an actual sprint store or call CS. I said i have gotten them before from the third party stores. He then says, "Yea, the sprint stores inside RadioShacks do not have SIM cards.."

Makes you wonder how a Sprint store which sells Sprint devices does not have SIM cards. I am probably mistaken but i thought the new Radioshack Sprint stores were essentially corporate stores, is this not true?

They are corporate stores but are not fully stocked. Chat with international chat and say you need a sim card for a moto x PE and they'll send you a csim 4ff v5 straight away no BS.

Sent from my LG-H790

• Like 2