Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

Updates about international bands and SIM card now added to The Wall article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-398-updated-teaser-is-s4gru-5x-certain-that-this-is-the-new-nexus-5x/

AJ

• Like 1

damnit i dont know what to do.

I love the nexus 5 and i have never held onto a phone as long as I have the nexus 5.

normally i would wait until a bunch of you have the phones from the pre-order so i could make a good decision versus the 5 and 6 but i have a feeling it will be out of stock for quite awhile and i will have to play the refresh game through the holidays to hopefully get one.

i dont care about camera.  i care more about radio performance. judging by the posts on the wall, the 5 wins over the 6 in that department?  how does the 5X stack up to the 5 radio specs wise?

damnit i dont know what to do.

I love the nexus 5 and i have never held onto a phone as long as I have the nexus 5.

normally i would wait until a bunch of you have the phones from the pre-order so i could make a good decision versus the 5 and 6 but i have a feeling it will be out of stock for quite awhile and i will have to play the refresh game through the holidays to hopefully get one.

i dont care about camera. i care more about radio performance. judging by the posts on the wall, the 5 wins over the 6 in that department? how does the 5X stack up to the 5 radio specs wise?

Based on The Wall articles

The 5X radio performance

B25: 25 dB

B26: 23 dB

B41: 19 dB

The 6P radio performance

B25: 22 dB

B26: 19 dB

B41: 22 dB

I guess it just depends on which LTE band you value most. In my situation I think B41 performance is more important because that band provides the best speeds and B26 is non existent currently in So Cal so it doesn't matter to me. In terms of B25, I am hoping real world performance doesn't make too much of a difference between the 2 phones.

• Like 2

As an update for anyone that missed it: The 5x does not have dual speakers. One is for the microphones. It also does not have a notification LED if that is important to you.

What about the 6P?  I believe it has dual speakers.

Based on The Wall articles

The 5X radio performance

B25: 25 dB

B26: 23 dB

B41: 19 dB

The 6P radio performance

B25: 22 dB

B26: 19 dB

B41: 22 dB

I guess it just depends on which LTE band you value most.

well, thats the other part of the problem...i dont understand the use of those numbers in the wall article.  i gather the higher the number the better in this instance but beyond that i do not understand the context they are used.

well, thats the other part of the problem...i dont understand the use of those numbers in the wall article.  i gather the higher the number the better in this instance but beyond that i do not understand the context they are used.

Both will work great. Higher B25 and B26 performance means the 5x might pick up building penetrating LTE (850 mhz and 1900 mhz) better but the higher B41 performance of the 6P means it might hold on to the big daddy bandwidth B41 signal longer.

The understanding is that the higher the numbers, the better the RF performance.  Remember that these FCC tests are done in a controlled setting so the articles have a disclaimer saying that it can vary on real world performance.  We do not know what the setting that was used to test this but perhaps digging deeper in the FCC docs can give hints but ehhh I don't really think its worth that effort.

does anyone have the original 5 radio perf. numbers so i can compare to the 5X?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5806-lg-google-nexus-5-users-thread/?p=261894

LG G2: 

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: 19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850), 21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900), 23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900), 17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)

SGS4T: (under SAR evaluation report)

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CDMA BC10) 24.97 dBm, (CL 850 CDMA/EVDO) 24.89 dBm, (PCS CDMA/EVDO) 24.70 dBm , (B25 LTE 1900) 23.00 dBm , (B26 LTE 800) 24.32 dBm , (B41 LTE 2500) LTE 24.35 dBm. 

Nexus 5 : (SAR Evaluation report) 

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CL 850 CDMA BC0 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.5 dBm, (PCS BC1 CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.6 dBm, (eSMR 800 CDMA BC10) 24.5 dBm, (LTE Band 25 PCS) 23.5 dBm, (LTE Band 26 eSMR) 23.7 dBm, (LTE TDD Band 41) 21.5 dBm
  •  
  • Like 4

It doesn't seem like Google is going to sell the Nexus phones in stores within the US where you can demo the unit (another reason why only the Play Store only option sucks).  I believe Best Buy usually has a Google dedicated booth which they can showcase their products so hopefully the Nexus 5X and 6P are available for demo there even though you won't be able to buy it.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5806-lg-google-nexus-5-users-thread/?p=261894

LG G2: 

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: 19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850), 21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900), 23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900), 17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)

SGS4T: (under SAR evaluation report)

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CDMA BC10) 24.97 dBm, (CL 850 CDMA/EVDO) 24.89 dBm, (PCS CDMA/EVDO) 24.70 dBm , (B25 LTE 1900) 23.00 dBm , (B26 LTE 800) 24.32 dBm , (B41 LTE 2500) LTE 24.35 dBm. 

Nexus 5 : (SAR Evaluation report) 

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CL 850 CDMA BC0 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.5 dBm, (PCS BC1 CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.6 dBm, (eSMR 800 CDMA BC10) 24.5 dBm, (LTE Band 25 PCS) 23.5 dBm, (LTE Band 26 eSMR) 23.7 dBm, (LTE TDD Band 41) 21.5 dBm
  •  

Do not rely upon those figures.  They probably are not ERP/EIRP.  They could be, but SAR reports typically reference conducted power, not radiated power.  You have to dig into the RF test results filings to glean ERP/EIRP figures.

AJ

5X in carbon ordered. will i be able to use the SIM card out of my Nexus 5 without issue?

No, not even close.  See The Wall:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-398-updated-teaser-is-s4gru-5x-certain-that-this-is-the-new-nexus-5x/

AJ

5X in carbon ordered. will i be able to use the SIM card out of my Nexus 5 without issue?

You'd have to cut the SIM card. I cut my AT&T SIM card to nano size to fit my S6E and it worked just fine. I used one of those stapler-type SIM card cutters.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

You'd have to cut the SIM card. I cut my AT&T SIM card to nano size to fit my S6E and it worked just fine. I used one of those stapler-type SIM card cutters.

Sprint uses different sim type models. Cutting it down doesn't matter if the model of the sim card does not work. 

Just FYI, everyone, S4GRU is thinking of publishing a Sprint SIM card primer article.

AJ

• Like 13

Sprint uses different sim type models. Cutting it down doesn't matter if the model of the sim card does not work.

I see. Didn't know that. Is it the same with Verizon & other CDMA carriers? GSM is so much easier.

• Like 1

I see. Didn't know that. Is it the same with Verizon & other CDMA carriers? GSM is so much easier.

I think the CSIM versus non-CSIM distinction is pretty much a Sprint thing. My understanding of the UICC standards is that there's no technical reason why they couldn't have the CSIM program on all of Sprint's SIM cards. Maybe they save a few bucks in licensing fees or something by only issuing CSIM-capable cards for phones that need the CSIM application.

• Like 1