Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

Just read in the playbook sprint expects to have some customers requesting activation as early as 10/14. No TEP allowed and it does use the same sim as MXPE.

Same as Nexus 6P?

Yep. That's the csim 4ff v5.

Sent from my LG-H790

so do we just walk into a Sprint store and ask for one of these/do we pay for the sim card? I honestly don't even remember what I did for my nexus 5. I think we just tried like 3 different options until one worked.

so do we just walk into a Sprint store and ask for one of these/do we pay for the sim card? I honestly don't even remember what I did for my nexus 5. I think we just tried like 3 different options until one worked.

Read the previous posts... Go to international chat and ask for a sim card for a moto x PE. They'll send you a csim 4ff v5 if they know what they're doing. They'll ask you for the storage size of the phone too.

Sent from my LG-H790

• Like 2

You can try Sprint international chat.  You can try a Sprint corporate store with repair center.  You might get the right SIM on the first try.  Sprint employees may have settled in to this process in the month since the 2015 Moto X first shipped.  But your mileage may vary.

Do not get upset and blame Sprint.  Understand that these unlocked, third party handsets are exceedingly rare on Sprint.  If you want the surest chance of success, my recommendation, instead, is to take responsibility yourself and head over to Best Buy Mobile with a copy of this receipt:

514uc0.jpg

It has all of the necessary Best Buy Mobile information -- SKU, model number, and even price match.  Thanks to S4GRU member kbeyer94.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7063-moto-x-2015-pure-edition-users-thread/?p=444079

Now, some of you will complain that Sprint promises a free SIM.  That is true.  But you can stop any whining right there.  If you are not willing to pay $10 for a SIM, you are a flat out cheapskate.  And for comparison, T-Mobile charges $15 per SIM.

AJ

• Like 4

You can try Sprint international chat.  You can try a Sprint corporate store with repair center.  Your might get the right SIM on the first try.  Sprint employees may have settled in to this process in the month since the 2015 Moto X first shipped.  But your mileage may vary.

Do not get upset and blame Sprint.  Understand that these unlocked, third party handsets are exceedingly rare on Sprint.  If you want the surest chance of success, my recommendation, instead, is to take responsibility yourself and head over to Best Buy Mobile with a copy of this receipt:

It has all of the necessary Best Buy Mobile information -- SKU, model number, and even price match.  Thanks to S4GRU member kbeyer94.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7063-moto-x-2015-pure-edition-users-thread/?p=444079

Now, some of you will complain that Sprint promises a free SIM.  That is true.  But you can stop any whining right there.  If you are not willing to pay $10 for a SIM, you are a flat out cheapskate.  And for comparison, T-Mobile charges $15 per SIM.

AJ

No problem. I am pretty patient and there are 2 repair centers within 5 miles from me and a Best Buy across the street from one. When my 6P arrives I will try the repair center and then just head over to Best Buy if that doesn't work. Thanks for the repost of the Best Buy receipt. 

• Like 2

Now, some of you will complain that Sprint promises a free SIM. That is true. But you can stop any whining right there. If you are not willing to pay $10 for a SIM, you are a flat out cheapskate. And for comparison, T-Mobile charges $15 per SIM.

AJ

I dont know what your problem is, but if people want to look out for their wallets then let them. The condescending comments/name calling is just inappropriate, especially coming from a mod.
  • Like 9

Anyone purchase any accesories in anticipation of the device yet? Cases.. type c to type a .. etc etc?

I ordered a one meter USB 3.1 A-plug to C-plug cable from one of the Chinese sellers on eBay. Less than $3 total, shipped slow-boat from China.

Edited by GoWireless

I dont know what your problem is, but if people want to look out for their wallets then let them. The condescending comments/name calling is just inappropriate, especially coming from a mod.

You clearly do not like me, and I do not care for you.  Well, guess what?  Because of the years of expertise that I bring plus the amount of front page and behind the scenes work that I do as the technical editor here at S4GRU, I will be as condescending as I damn well please.  I have earned that right.  If that is not agreeable to you, the door to leave is always open.

Additionally, you have your head in the sand or like to see people go off on Sprint if you have not observed how some of our membership can go overboard when they complain that Sprint is not immediately prepared to serve their niche requests.  Staff has to deal with those sorts of posts all of the time, and it makes us cranky.  Some Sprint users have to come to terms that their needs are not the same needs as those of the tens of millions of subs that Sprint serves.

In the end, I am providing useful information to people about how to obtain an unkitted SIM.  I am giving them realistic expectations.  And I am trying to head off any future complaints, as I will direct you to an excerpt from the S4GRU rules:

We do not host Sprint complaints. Complaints about Sprint should be directed to their customer service channels.

AJ

FWIW ordering from international chat is a breeze if you've never done it. (Alas, they closed the one corporate store in my area.) Just give them the exact info they need:

Part: SIMGLW446C

SKU: CZ2144LWC

UPC: 019962040146

You can then verify that they ordered the correct item for you when you get your order number.

• Like 1

You can then verify that they ordered the correct item for you when you get your order number.

you can ask them to confirm the product being ordered.  they will copy / paste the order details into chat and ask you if they should proceed.

You clearly do not like me, and I do not care for you. Well, guess what? Because of the years of expertise that I bring plus the amount of front page and behind the scenes work that I do as the technical editor here at S4GRU, I will be as condescending as I damn well please. I have earned that right. If that is not agreeable to you, the door to leave is always open.

First of, theres no need for the defensive attitude. I don't know where you get this idea that I don't like you, but that's not the case. I value all the data and resources that you, and especially Robert, have brought to the site, which is why I've made a donation in the past.

My issue is that a mod should be above name calling other users. You provided them with the Best Buy option, and that was great. But you could have stopped there. Instead you proceeded to insult a lot of the members by calling them 'cheapstakes'. As a mod and a representative of a site that is dependent on donations, you should be above that. Plain and simple. But hey, this is Roberts site and if that attitude is fine by him then I guess it'll fly, hopefully not at the cost of donations.

Additionally, you have your head in the sand or like to see people go off on Sprint if you have not observed how some of our membership can go overboard when they complain that Sprint is not immediately prepared to serve their niche requests. Staff has to deal with those sorts of posts all of the time, and it makes us cranky. Some Sprint users have to come to terms that their needs are not the same needs as those of the tens of millions of subs that Sprint serves.

In the end, I am providing useful information to people about how to obtain an unkitted SIM. I am giving them realistic expectations. And I am trying to head off any future complaints, as I will direct you to an excerpt from the S4GRU rules:

AJ

Trust me, I have no dog in this race. I have zero vested interest in Sprint, or any other wireless carrier for that matter. If I want to see people complain endlessly about their wireless provider, I can log onto Twitter. Last thing I want to do is derail this thread (which i realize we have now done). I understand your job as a mod is to keep complaining to a minimum, and that's not only acceptable, but should be expected (and you guys do a good job). But the name calling? That's a bit too far. Especially since most users who use Sprint came to Sprint for their cheaper pricing models than the Big 2 (and T-Mobile at the moment).

I know I, and every user here, appreciate the information about Best Buy. But I'm sure I'm not alone in taking slight to the bully-ish and 'I'm almighty' behavior. I'll leave it at that. Back to topic folks.

• Like 7

My issue is that a mod should be above name calling other users. You provided them with the Best Buy option, and that was great. But you could have stopped there. Instead you proceeded to insult a lot of the members by calling them 'cheapstakes'. As a mod and a representative of a site that is dependent on donations, you should be above that. Plain and simple. But hey, this is Roberts site and if that attitude is fine by him then I guess it'll fly, hopefully not at the cost of donations.

Is potentially deeming someone a "cheapskate" really that offensive, really "name calling"?  I will not stand down from that assertion.  And reacting otherwise seems overly sensitive.

It makes sense.  If someone has run into difficulty obtaining a correct SIM through Sprint corporate channels, has access to Best Buy Mobile nearby, and continues to beat his head against the wall and complain -- because he refuses to pay even $10 for a SIM that he could obtain for no charge -- then that person is a cheapskate or a malcontent.  I even pointed out that at least one other operator at its corporate stores charges $15 for a SIM.  Does that have no relevance?

I have no idea how old you are or how much expendable income you have.  But one thing that you learn when you get a little bit older and when you have some expendable income is not to sweat the occasional small expenses.  You do not beat your head against the wall and rail against the system in attempt to save possibly $10.  No, you take the easy route -- even if it costs you $10 -- and get on with enjoying your life.

Now, if Robert wants to chime in and disagree with my "cheapskate" assessment, he will.  Robert and I do not agree on everything.  I do not have a problem with the way Sprint has handled niche unlocked, third party handsets this fall.  Sprint has much, much bigger fish to fry and should prioritize those real money making issues.  But Robert may have a different opinion.

What I do not quite get, though, is your emphasis on the "cheapskate" comment.  That was an almost trivial aspect of my post earlier today.  My post was informative -- designed to prepare readers for possible disappointment or frustration and to give them at least one alternative.

AJ

• Like 2

To expound on AJ's "don't sweat the small stuff" statement. I ordered a SIM through international chat. When reading the confirmation email I noticed they sent a 2FF USIM. Told myself I would try chat 1 more time to get the right part. If that was unsuccessful, I was gladly going to pay the $10 at Best Buy.

Possibly banging your head against a wall, trying to order a SIM for a phone you've spent at least 4 bills on and ya can't scrounge another $10?

Ok.

• Like 2

Possibly banging your head against a wall, trying to order a SIM for a phone you've spent at least 4 bills on and ya can't scrounge another $10?

This was my first thought. If $10 could stop you from activating your device efficiently you prolly shouldn't be spending that $400+ in the first place.
  • Like 2

This was my first thought. If $10 could stop you from activating your device efficiently you prolly shouldn't be spending that $400+ in the first place.

That attitude is the reason we still have activation fees. 

• Like 4

That attitude is the reason we still have activation fees. 

Yes, the appropriate response about activation fees instead is to bitch, moan, and berate the workers who must be paid for the work to help you activate your device.  That may get your fee waived.

Face it, most telecom/broadband providers have activation fees.  The fees may be revenue generators, and they may not be necessary.  But they are what they are.  Do not sweat the small stuff. 

If $10-35 for activation is going to be a hardship, then you already are living above your pay grade.  You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Finally, I will add that no one has reported being charged an activation fee for any of these unlocked handsets purchased from third parties.  So, your activation fee quip smells like red herring.

AJ

• Like 2

As an ex-employee at a Sprint corporate store, I know the activation fees were only generated when a 2-year contract was renewed or made such as an upgrade or new line. Now sure how it is now with the new financing pricing.

Activation fees become an issue when families like to switch everyone at once to Sprint or upgrade all the lines on the account. If you're married with two teenagers, that's an extra $144 that just added up quickly.

• Like 2

Yes, the appropriate response about activation fees instead is to bitch, moan, and berate the workers who must be paid for the work to help you activate your device.  That may get your fee waived.

Face it, most telecom/broadband providers have activation fees.  The fees may be revenue generators, and they may not be necessary.  But they are what they are.  Do not sweat the small stuff. 

If $10-35 for activation is going to be a hardship, then you already are living above your pay grade.  You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Finally, I will add that no one has reported being charged an activation fee for any of these unlocked handsets purchased from third parties.  So, your activation fee quip smells like red herring.

AJ

I view activation fees the same way I view installation fees for wired internet services. Where I live all the internet providers have eliminated them (installation fees) over the last few years because it can be an impediment for acquiring new customers. To me activating a customer's phone is simply the cost of doing business. The employees are already being paid in the stores and from my point of view it is just using that already sunk cost that all carriers have. Why does Sprint charge iPhone Forever lease holders an activation fee when the whole ordering and swapping process is done without any Sprint employee interaction (aside from the shipping and receiving)? 

It isn't about "boo hoo $36 means no food for a week" or anything like that. The objection is that at this point it feels more like a tax on the customer rather than a real service provided especially becase in the case of iphone backups and the like means transfering customer data is a fairly simple and fast process. The fact that phones bought from the Google store don't require activation fees further illustrates this. I just think activation fees are increasingly more about pulling more $ from the customer than about the cost of an actual service being performed.

Yes I am aware AT&T and Verizon also charge activation but I view T-Mobile like I view my local cable company (Grande Communications) which started the trend toward no installation fees. 

• Like 9